DebianDog - Jessie - Continued

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

DebianDog - Jessie - Continued

#1 Post by fredx181 »

Discontinued, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 694#946694

Edit: The thread that the above link points to doesn't exist anymore.
Short version of the story:
Using the name "DebianDog" (by me) caused so much trouble in general (and got me personally in such a stressful situation), that I finally gave up developing any further using that name.
Edit 2017-05-08: Development is discontinued, but re-opened for replies, why not :)
I will not continue to maintain this version anymore.

DebianDog-Jessie openbox_xfce version 2016-10-16 is upgrade from previous openbox_xfce version 2015-09-02
(See here at 2. (DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02-PAE.iso))

============================================
For topic about extra SFS-modules for this release, see Here
============================================

It's a complete rebuild from scratch using a minimal (netinstall) Debian Jessie as starting point.

Bugs are fixed from previous 2015-09-02 updates and fixes information

New changes, bugs and fixes information after 2016-10-16

Other changes:
- Only 2 boot methods now: 'Porteus style boot' and 'Live Boot 3' (standard Debian Live)
- Extended by adding more software/applications, e.g. python (required by e.g. youtube-get2, youtube-dl), ffmpeg (required by weX (screencast app by William (mcewanw), ffconvert and more).
- The main 01-filesystem.squashfs is compressed GZIP (increases the size with more than 50MB compared to XZ compression)
(the system boots and runs faster with GZIP compression)
- Suspend should work now.
- Added 'Quick-Remaster', new remaster script, concept by rufwoof (very fast!)
(Note: works only when booted with 'Porteus style boot').
A brief description here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 924#925924
- Added 'DebianDog' category to menu, containing most of the specific DebianDog system programs. (idea from rufwoof)
- Option to switch to (simple) JWM (Menu > System > Start Jwm)
- Full LZ4 boot and compression support (modified initrd to use LZ4 and squashfs-tools version 4.3-3 from Sid installed)

Thanks very much to forum members: saintless, mcewanw, sunburnt, sklimkin, rufwoof, backi, dancytron and others.

Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Download:
Iso: DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-jwm-2016-10-16.iso Size: 255MB - kernel-3.16.0-4-686-pae.
Md5sum: DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-jwm-2016-10-16.md5

Default WM - OpenBox with XFCE. (with option to switch to JWM (Menu > System > Start Jwm)
Default File Manager - Thunar with option to use Rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox-ESR.

Although some firmware is included, you might need more specific for your hardware e.g. wireless, download this module:
61-firmware-jessie-2016-10-16.squashfs
Load with Sfs-Load or (better) place in the 'live' folder (in case frugal install) and reboot.

More information and downloads of e.g. DEVX or locales modules at Github:
DebianDog-Jessie iso image - 2016-10-16 (see there also for some 'porteus-boot' examples for frugal install using grub4dos)
Extra Modules Jessie v2 (2016-10-16)
And on DebianDog-Jessie webpage

Screenshots:

Openbox:

Jwm:
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 18:49, edited 12 times in total.

fredx181

#2 Post by fredx181 »

List of DebianDog-Jessie changes or fixes found after 16.10.2016:

Changes and Fixes Information
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

ooooh la la..... :D :

Beautiful morning, sun blaring, tell myself I am going outside, but first check the computer, and here is a new DebianDog - Jesse....in XFCE no less!!! So, the sun and outside will have to wait, lol.

Thank you so much, Fred! For myself, your creations are the absolute best.

I have only one request, possibly for future builds-----is there any way you can include the awesome "redhift" into DebianDog builds? I've been using it for a long time, and I finally got around to installing it in the older DebianDg64 of yours that still rules one of my machines. For an old man, with increasingly sensitive eyes, redshift is an incredible & very relieving thing. When I installed it (in the old DebianDog64), it works, but I had to jump through a lot of hoops and I still don't have a proper tint2rc taskbar icon because tint2 just doesn't want to play nice when adding .svg icons, which redshift has, 3 of them. I have to toggle between three wbar icons, and it is a best of a mess, lol....but, hey, it works.

Thanks again for this new DebianDog w/ XFCE!!! Will post later today with feedback and a DE pic :) ....and I will----in my noob way----try to do anything to help the DebinaDogs stay alive & kicking.

[edit: spelling errors]
Last edited by belham2 on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#4 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Belham!!

I will have a look at 'redshift', indeed it's nice, I've used it in the past.

Fred

backi

#5 Post by backi »

Hi fred and others !

You gave me some good reason to get out of bed .

Keep on Rocking ! :D

belham2

Just a joy ;-)

#6 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Thanks Belham!!

I will have a look at 'redshift', indeed it's nice, I've used it in the past.

Fred

Hi again, Fred!

Frugal installed, ~2gb partition, with changes saved on 'exit' or 'reboot', on Athlon II X2 240 unlocked Regis, partition is on a 16gb sdhc card, Gallium AMD RS880 graphics, and basically everything is just great.

Only things I did was immediately upgrade FF-ESR from your 24.8.1 to 26.0 (because I can't live w/o "https everywhere" add-on from EFF Foundation---sort of critical nowadays). Also installed 'ARandR' from Synaptic, to get my dual monitors working, also added the dual monitor script for startup purposes. Haha, I noticed one small thing that sure makes life a lot easier compared to old DD64 & XenialDog---you added a "Add/Remove User from Groups" to the menu. Hoooorrah :D Also, I added ufw via 'GUFW' from Synaptic. You might want to check, but GUFW does not show up anywhere in 'Menu" that I could find after installing ufw/gufw via Synaptic. But, for me, that's ok as I usually control UFW from terminal, and it shows there fine.

Lastly, have two questions, one about 'SFSdrop', the other 'PicDrop': I think I understand the desktop shortcut "SFSdrop"---it's for when I am in terminal doing SFS-stuff, I can just drag whatever I do over into SFSdrop, and voila', I've got an SFS made? Is that right?? Also, is the same principle at work for the "PicDrop" shortcut? You are browsing, or whatever, find a pic, just grab and drag it to the shortcut and it will be saved to your Pics folder?? I think perhaps you might want to put some sort of popup explanation box on the "PicDrop" shortcut, as when a person clicks it, wondering what it is, it currently does nothing. Also, the "screenshot", try it once on your system: when you click "execute", you get no feedback if it actually executed or not? I was hitting the "execute" button like mad, trying to understand why "screenshot" wasn't working, only to open "mtpaint' to take a screenshot, to see in my root/ home folder fifty thousand pics I had clicked taking with screenshot, and having no idea they were being taken...haha :lol:

Lastly, I cannot modify what's inside conky (in the '.conkyrc-live' and/or the '.conkyrc-port', otherwise, conky overall refuses to start, even from when I try to start in /etc/conky----figure I must be doing something wrong, but I've always did these conky mods before, even in the old DD64 & XenialDog, and they always worked & I never had a problem starting conky with the conkytoggle.sh).

Here's a desktop pic (hope it shows, always have trouble posting pics to murga forum...usually I have to link from my photo pic site). Overall, great job...again! The DebianDog creations, along with mickos/peebees/phils/james&kirks creations, are the gold standards here on Murga!

[edit: spelling errors]
Attachments
dd64-i686.png
(190.9 KiB) Downloaded 11655 times

backi

#7 Post by backi »

Hi everyone !

Installed D-D frugally to Usb -Flashstick with Grub4dos .Using an old Toshiba 3000 with 1 Gig of Ram .

Idle :

root@jessie:~# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1023468 176812 846656 51868 4752 95824
-/+ buffers/cache: 76236 947232
Swap: 1023464 0 1023464

Menu.lst entry :

title DebianDog jessie new - changes on exit /debdog2/live sysvinit
find --set-root /debdog2/live/vmlinuz1
kernel /debdog2/live/vmlinuz1 from=/debdog2 noauto changes=EXIT:/debdog2/live ramsize=100%
initrd /debdog2/live/initrd1.xz

Htop shows 65 megs of Ram (from 1 gig total ).

D-D Runs light as a feather and smooth as silk .

I like that Quick Remaster tool from rufwoof .(can`t really explain ....but ...somehow slick)

Deb-Dog is a real Treasure Trove .It`s a sort of Rolls Royce in Linux world .
What else shall i say .

As my Spiritual Master ALI G. used to say .......RESPECT !!!

Now i will go fooling around a bit with my new Puppy Toy-Dog .

Thanks a lot all you guys and .....see you later!

fredx181

#8 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,
Haha, I noticed one small thing that sure makes life a lot easier compared to old DD64 & XenialDog---you added a "Add/Remove User from Groups" to the menu. Hoooorrah
That's only useful when logged in as regular user, aren't you logged in as root?
I think I understand the desktop shortcut "SFSdrop"---it's for when I am in terminal doing SFS-stuff, I can just drag whatever I do over into SFSdrop, and voila', I've got an SFS made? Is that right?? Also, is the same principle at work for the "PicDrop" shortcut? You are browsing, or whatever, find a pic, just grab and drag it to the shortcut and it will be saved to your Pics folder?? I think perhaps you might want to put some sort of popup explanation box on the "PicDrop" shortcut, as when a person clicks it, wondering what it is, it currently does nothing
Well, no it's for to drag and drop an existing SFS onto it, for example I have gimp.squashfs, when I drop it on to the icon a small application window appears, from which I can run Gimp (see attached screenshot) A SFS (.squashfs) can be created with "apt2sfs"
Similar for picdrop, drop a .png or .jpg onto it and you can convert to other format and/or change size (see screenshot) and will be saved in same folder as original.
As for a popup when only click on it, I'll think about it, the app (by Terry (sunburnt)) is built with BACON, and I don't know anything about that.
Lastly, I cannot modify what's inside conky (in the '.conkyrc-live' and/or the '.conkyrc-port'
Strange, when I edit ~/.conkyrc-port (when booted using porteus-boot) and save the file conky restarts and I see the changes.

About redshift, I think this one is nice https://sourceforge.net/projects/redshiftgui/
But it didn't work properly on DebianDog so modified a little to handle utf-8, the script to run is "start-redshiftgui"
Added this mod .deb to the 32 and 64 bit DD repositories, install with:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install redshiftgui
Run from Menu > Accessories > Redshift Gui or from terminal: start-redshiftgui
To make it start at login just create symlink in ~/Startup

ln -s /usr/local/bin/start-redshiftgui ~/Startup/start-redshiftgui
Attachments
redshift-preview.mkv.tar
redshift-preview.mkv (remove fake .tar)
(173.41 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
gimp-module-dropped_629x271.png
(113.54 KiB) Downloaded 11516 times
pic-dropped_650x298.png
(144.16 KiB) Downloaded 11526 times

fredx181

#9 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi,
I like that Quick Remaster tool from rufwoof .(can`t really explain ....but ...somehow slick)
Yes, it's nice, but not very much tested yet, for example:
The first script rufwoof made was only for when changes=EXIT/.... has been used from boot command-line.
From what I tested, my modified script works well also when used without the exit e.g. changes=/.... (but, again, not very much tested, time will tell)
Btw, should work also now when using savefile e.g. changes=/debdog2/live/changes.dat

Fred

dancytron

#10 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:Hi backi,
Yes, it's nice, but not very much tested yet, for example:
The first script rufwoof made was only for when changes=EXIT/.... has been used from boot command-line.
From what I tested, my modified script works well also when used without the exit e.g. changes=/.... (but, again, not very much tested, time will tell)
Btw, should work also now when using savefile e.g. changes=/debdog2/live/changes.dat

Fred
I just installed it (frugal to hard drive).

Installed lxterminal and ran quick remaster. Seems to work great. Almost too easy.

The only thing I can see that I would change would be to also rename the save folder/file rather than give you a choice to delete it. That would make stepping back if there is a problem bullet proof.

Great job once again.

belham2

#11 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:That's only useful when logged in as regular user, aren't you logged in as root?
It was more along the lines for the family...especially the youngest, want to set one up without "root" ability, and she, when her friends are here.

Strange, when I edit ~/.conkyrc-port (when booted using porteus-boot) and save the file conky restarts and I see the changes.
I've fiddled with ~/.conkyrc-port several times this afternoon, and if I just change one small thing in its file, it won't re-start no matter what I do. I even put a color change in, and, nope, it would not restart. I have to keep putting it back to the original as included in the Live frugal install. I'll keep trying here.....

Also, thank you for explaining about SFSdrop and PicDrop. I really like the PicDrop as you describe, can't think of the number of times I run across pics and what to change their format. This will make is so easy.
About redshift, I think this one is nice https://sourceforge.net/projects/redshiftgui/
But it didn't work properly on DebianDog so modified a little to handle utf-8, the script to run is "start-redshiftgui"
Added this mod .deb to the 32 and 64 bit DD repositories, install with:

apt-get update
apt-get install redshiftgui
Run from Menu > Accessories > Redshift Gui or from terminal: start-redshiftgui
To make it start at login just create symlink in ~/Startup

ln -s /usr/local/bin/start-redshiftgui ~/Startup/start-redshiftgui
Thank you so much for the redshift work! Am downloading it right now and am going to play with it & get it working.

P.S. Wanted to followup about the UFW/GUFW install using Synaptic. Even though it exists in /usr/share/applications, I cannot get GUFW to appear in the "Menu" and/or just right-clicking & trying to make a desktop link (when clicking on the .desktop file). It's really weird, because the icon is clearly there, plus it is in the pixmaps folder, plus the GUFW command works from terminal and/or if you just click on it in the /usr/share/applications folder. Yet the darn thing won't appear in "Menu" (even when I create a Menu item for it, but honestly I thought Synaptic install would do that). Plus, I cannot create it on the desktop nor in the XFCE bottom taskbar.

Thanks again for everything! Will give you feedback on how I get on with the redshift stuff. :)

[edit: update]
Feedback redshift --- it works flawless, Fred! My eyes thank you very much!!!
Last edited by belham2 on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:42, edited 2 times in total.

backi

#12 Post by backi »

Dancytron wrote regarding Quick Remaster tool :
The only thing I can see that I would change would be to also rename the save folder/file rather than give you a choice to delete it. That would make stepping back if there is a problem bullet proof.
Sure ........would be a good idea !.....bullet proof is the way it should be .

fredx181

#13 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:P.S. Wanted to followup about the UFW/GUFW install using Synaptic. Even though it exists in /usr/share/applications, I cannot get GUFW to appear in the "Menu" and/or just right-clicking & trying to make a desktop link (when clicking on the .desktop file).
There's a line "OnlyShowIn=Unity;" in the .desktop file (strange?!, why only in Unity?)
Open with leafpad, remove that line and "Firewall Configuration" will show in the Menu.

Fred

belham2

#14 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham2 wrote:P.S. Wanted to followup about the UFW/GUFW install using Synaptic. Even though it exists in /usr/share/applications, I cannot get GUFW to appear in the "Menu" and/or just right-clicking & trying to make a desktop link (when clicking on the .desktop file).
There's a line "OnlyShowIn=Unity;" in the .desktop file (strange?!, why only in Unity?)
Open with leafpad, remove that line and "Firewall Configuration" will show in the Menu.

Fred

Wow, I would never have caught that, as I sometimes think of Unity in the same vein as I think of the word "Linux". I know, I know, not good, but Unity is trying to silently take over the world, haha!

Thanks again...GUFW is now in menu and on the desktop!

Moat

#15 Post by Moat »

Just a very brief run here so far, but absolutely fantastic and incredibly fast (default 1st, RAM boot)!

Only real issue thus far is I can't seem to get the timezone sorted - "Setup Timezone" utility leaves me -4 hrs earlier than my true location (Eastern US, which is -4 GMT, or Eastern Daylight Time) i.e. - setting @ 0 hrs/Greenwich displays my proper time in the system tray and conky, but then the Xfce panel weather plugin displays 4 hours earlier, and thus won't update it's weather info (I imagine rejecting it as "out of date").

Otherwise booted quite fast from CD on this older dual-core Pentium Dell Optiplex 380 desktop, straight to the proper monitor resolution, Frisbee connected to WiFi thru a USB dongle, on-board sound works, Youtube vids play... and did I mention incredibly fast? :D Just great work, Fred!

I now need to find time to really dig in, and do a Puppy-like frugal savefile-type install to USB flash drive...

Bob

root@jessie:~# inxi -F
System:    Host: jessie Kernel: 3.16.0-4-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8 
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 serial: 62B2LN1 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 serial: ..CN1374007U08KF.
           Bios: Dell v: A01 date: 03/11/2010
CPU:       Dual core Pentium E5400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2700 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 97x44 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-686-pae
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: f0:4d:a2:24:1c:26
           Card-2: NetGear WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271] driver: ath9k_htc
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 08:bd:43:7b:af:6a
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 160.0GB
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 100 Uptime: 2:08 Memory: 209.8/3949.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28

dancytron

#16 Post by dancytron »

Find the file /etc/adjtime.

Open it. I'm not in DD right now, but it will say either LOCAL or UTC. Whichever it is, change it to the other and see if that fixes it.

The issue is that Windows (and Puppy usually) use LOCAL time for the hardware clock. By default, Debian uses UTC.

If you use Windows, you might need to go into the settings of your XFCE app and see if you can change it to Local to get them all to match.

Moat

#17 Post by Moat »

Thanks dancytron - was UTC, changed to LOCAL, but no difference. Re-ran "Setup Timezone" utility - no change. Exit and re-started X, still no change. I really should just hold off until doing a frugal install, to assure any of these changes are "sticking", and allow fully re-booting to the new changes. All live from CD, ATM...

Thanks!

Bob

belham2

#18 Post by belham2 »

Moat wrote:Thanks dancytron - was UTC, changed to LOCAL, but no difference. Re-ran "Setup Timezone" utility - no change. Exit and re-started X, still no change. I really should just hold off until doing a frugal install, to assure any of these changes are "sticking", and allow fully re-booting to the new changes. All live from CD, ATM...

Thanks!

Bob
Hi Moat,

That's weird, because awhile back when I set up Debiandog64 I had the exact same problem as you, and exact same 4 hr thing. But then I couldn't remember if I did something to NTP (when I was fooling around), so I re-installed it from command line:

$ apt-get install --reinstall ntp

..then I went into the '/etc/ntp.conf' and it was there I adjusted for my timezone and all was ok afterwards (I assume though that Fred, always by default, has NTP set up).

What's strange in Debian is that they include 'timezone' and 'localtime' in /etc/, but despite deleting those and re-setting them afresh, that would not work unless I either re-installed NTP or used the 'manual' method described next.

If you want to set time manually in Debian, and have it stick, just use 'date', like (as an example):

$ date --set 2016-10-16

then next set time with 'date'

$ date --set 22:16:12

Hope this helps.

Moat

#19 Post by Moat »

belham2 wrote:... so I re-installed it from command line:

$ apt-get install --reinstall ntp
Thanks belham2! Just did only the npt re-install ^ as you describe above, and that fixed it! Times are now correct, and the panel weather app is working as it should - didn't have to touch anything else. Too cool! 8)

Bob

fredx181

#20 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:..then I went into the '/etc/ntp.conf' and it was there I adjusted for my timezone and all was ok afterwards (I assume though that Fred, always by default, has NTP set up).
Debiandog64 and this DebianDog32 version doesn't have ntp installed by default.
Me personally I've set it to "Etc/UTC" in /etc/timezone and make sure the time is set correctly in the BIOS.

Here's more info for setting it to LOCAL without ntp installed:
(note, then it's required to add the extra line in /etc/default/rcS UTC=no)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 147#896147
(see: "To make things behave the same as Windows does (in case of dual boot):")

Thanks Moat, for testing and the positive reply!

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.