DebianDog - Jessie - Continued

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#286 Post by backi »

I've just run apt-get update and upgrade and a both kernel/image/headers and Libre were all updated for Debian Jessie.
Hi rufwoof !

Is it possible to update and upgrade in always fresh mode (Deb Dog loaded without SaveFolder) than make a quick remaster and then reboot with SaveFolder loaded again without problems .... Provided there is enough ram ?

rufwoof

#287 Post by rufwoof »

backi wrote:Hi rufwoof !

Is it possible to update and upgrade in always fresh mode (Deb Dog loaded without SaveFolder) than make a quick remaster and then reboot with SaveFolder loaded again without problems .... Provided there is enough ram ?
Possible, but I suspect it wouldn't always work -- subject to what was being replaced/updated. IIRC some time back a failure occurred due to something like libc6 (cant remember the exact name/module) being updated in the live running system. Again if IIRC the system froze such that you couldn't continue on to run a remaster.

fredx181

#288 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi,
rufwoof wrote:Possible, but I suspect it wouldn't always work
I think I see what rufwoof means, there might be problems when save2flash is used during quick-remaster, so I recommend to use the GUI version of quick-remaster (only available in latest upgraded 'quick-remaster' package) , it will just make a clone of the root filesystem '/ ' and doesn't use save2flash.
So then, yes it's OK IMO to make quick-remaster when boot option 'always-fresh' is used.

Fred

Moat

#289 Post by Moat »

Hi Fred - I just ran across this, in case you hadn't seen it yet - a review of DebianDog!

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/84328.html?rss=1

Bob

mcewanw

#290 Post by mcewanw »

Wow, considering that DD review is dated 25 Feb 2017 its content is quite a bit out of date in terms of current releases I feel. The comments about documentation are interesting though - maybe someone needs to write a DebianDog 'book' (the kind of thing smokey01 has done in the past for Puppy, as far as I remember). If such a thing ever does get written, for simplicity and focus, I think it would be good to concentrate on one boot method only - I'd particularly recommend Porteus boot, because of its changes folder mechanism and quick remaster ability. Basically I mean that a separate book/booklet should be written for different boot methods rather than trying to cram everything into one text.

Rather than suggest it, I should just go ahead and do it, I know, but I'm working on something else at the moment (and was supposed to pretty much have retired...oops...).

William
github mcewanw

backi

#291 Post by backi »

Hi Fred - I just ran across this, in case you hadn't seen it yet - a review of DebianDog!

Bob

The Dogs are more and more conquering Linux World

fredx181

#292 Post by fredx181 »

Moat wrote:Hi Fred - I just ran across this, in case you hadn't seen it yet - a review of DebianDog!

Bob
Thanks, hadn't seen it yet.

Tried to read it as if DebianDog would be completely new for me, but that's hard for me of course.
Quoted from the review:
The developer's website, hosted on Github.io, provides the barest of details. It offers little or no community interaction or help forums.
I admit the information provided is a little chaotic, e.g. spread around many places, howto thread, utilities thread, wiki at github, but if you put some effort in searching through the website and on the github pages you'll find a lot.
Organizing is not really my talent, and I'm just one, so anyone feel free to rewrite e.g. the Boot methods Wiki:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Boot-methods
Or any other help/suggestions for organizing things would be welcome!
Another quote from the review:
DebianDog is not well publicized
I wouldn't know what to do more, the Dog Linux website and DD forum threads can be found easily by doing a google search.

Anyway, nice that the linuxinsider review makes DD a little more publicized ! :)
(btw, the author should make some corrections, e.g. JWM is misspelled consistently as JWN )

Fred

rufwoof

#293 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:I think I see what rufwoof means, there might be problems when save2flash is used during quick-remaster, so I recommend to use the GUI version of quick-remaster (only available in latest upgraded 'quick-remaster' package) , it will just make a clone of the root filesystem '/ ' and doesn't use save2flash.
Fundamentally I've just been running Debian live with a single extension of a (modified) save2flash. Come the next stable upgrade I had intended to switch over to using that quick clone choice Fred.

Basically my system is just grub4dos installed onto the primary partition for booting purposes, along with a copy of the Debian live cd /live folder, but with all of the main filesystem content within that extracted to the main partition, which is then set to be the persistence (save) partition. Enabling the main file system to be emptied ... as everything in effect is in the save area.

That way I can boot either as though a full install, or boot frugally (which I do more often). My modified save2flash script just dumps the ram based changes to the save area. Can still load sfs's etc, but I don't do that myself now. I tend to just use the Debian repository loading whatever program(s) into a frugal boot that I don't save at shutdown for the odd program that I don't particularly want to have continually installed.

Everything is Debian Stable (livecd based i.e. lightweight) other than the save2flash script extension. Increasingly I'm using save2flash less, instead rebooting into full install type mode and applying updates before rebooting frugally again, so that the core version remains factory fresh and gets updated to remain that way. Originally running as user rather than root was a bit uncomfortable. However I've now got used to opening a terminal and running su to get to root to do command line changes, and have a right click open as root choice in file manager (su PCManFM).

So come Stretch being the current stable, I might have migrated over to 100% pure Debian (liveCD lightweight version) and have eliminated even save2flash (or direct quickcopy saving).

DebianDog converted me over to Debian from Puppy and its been my ideal choice since. My sole boot choice now, other than keeping a (now outdated) debiandog as a secondary boot choice for admin/backup/fallback purposes.
Organizing is not really my talent, and I'm just one, so anyone feel free to rewrite e.g. the Boot methods Wiki:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Boot-methods
Or any other help/suggestions for organizing things would be welcome!
Might be worth holding off making changes until perhaps June/July (??) when Stretch becomes the current Debian Stable before making edits/changes as things could change. I'd be happy to help out at that time albeit in a limited scope - such as Boot3 boot method as that would be my main area of changes/need.

backi

#294 Post by backi »

Hi !
mcewanwe wrote :
Wow, considering that DD review is dated 25 Feb 2017 its content is quite a bit out of date in terms of current releases I feel. The comments about documentation are interesting though - maybe someone needs to write a DebianDog 'book' (the kind of thing smokey01 has done in the past for Puppy, as far as I remember). If such a thing ever does get written, for simplicity and focus, I think it would be good to concentrate on one boot method only - I'd particularly recommend Porteus boot, because of its changes folder mechanism and quick remaster ability. Basically I mean that a separate book/booklet should be written for different boot methods rather than trying to cram everything into one text.
This is something to be considered.Cause one of the main flaws of this project is , in my opinion,that all the Infos and Documentations are scattered all over different Places ....but we all should not forget , that most work is done by fredX.........to much for one single person .

zagreb999

update latest lz4

#295 Post by zagreb999 »

update latest lz4

lz4 is updated and now
is faster than previous
see screenshot!

can it be updated for DD32?

thanks
Attachments
desktop.jpg
lz4 latest
(127.42 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

fredx181

#296 Post by fredx181 »

Hello zagreb,

You probably mean for creating .squashfs module ?
At the moment the only option for lz4 is -Xhc which gives slightly better compression.
Maybe in the future the "fast 8" option will be implemented in mksquashfs

Fred

backi

#297 Post by backi »

Good Info zagreb999 !!!

fredx181

TrinityDog for testing

#298 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Everyone,

*** TrinityDog Test ***

DebianDog-Jessie with (basic) Trinity Desktop, see Trinity info here:
https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/yhs ... itydog.iso Size: 287MB
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/k43 ... itydog.md5

Probably I'll add to the "dog kennel" *officially* but first I'd like some feedback , so, anyone interested, please test and report back !

I think Trinity is great, it's not taking too much space and rather light for such a complete Desktop Environment.
For me it's also sort of nostalgia. :wink:
When I started using Linux, first was Ubuntu, didn't like it very much and was looking for some "portable Linux", discovered Slax (at that time based on KDE3)
Slax and KDE3 was fun, but a big hassle to install programs (finding modules and its dependencies)
Later switched to Debian (Lenny with KDE3) but upgrade to later Squeeze, then no KDE3 anymore, and KDE4 I didn't like at all.
Anyway now, for some time (years) already, we have KDE3 revived, Trinity !!!

Edit: Some more info:
- based on DebianDog 2016-10-16 version, removed (almost) all xfce4 packages (except Thunar) and openbox, installed trinity-base
- Browsers included: Firefox-ESR, Midori and Konqueror
- Latest Jessie kernel version at this time: 3.16.39-1+deb8u1
- Some icons missing for DD menu entries, don't know how to solve yet

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#299 Post by oui »

excuse me: why trinity and not real actual KDE or LXQT?

fredx181

#300 Post by fredx181 »

oui wrote:excuse me: why trinity and not real actual KDE or LXQT?
Because we like to keep DebianDog small (at least under 300MB) and... fast !!.
No way to achieve this with actual KDE
(LXQT : I don't know much about, maybe something for the future, who knows)

And: excuse me: why criticizing?

Edit: To clarify:
oui, In the past we've had some constructive conversations , but the last replies I've seen from you are a little pessimistic or negative (in my opinion), what happened?.

Fred

zagreb999

trinity, antix net. 2017., kernel 4.9.6

#301 Post by zagreb999 »

GREAT, GREAT TRINITY...
THANKS FRED!
TRINITY HAS THE BEST WIFI APP!

LATEST NEWS FROM ANTIX-
NEW NET INSTALL KERNEL 4.9.6
IT COULD BE THE BEST ANTIXDOG EVER....

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-17/

backi

#302 Post by backi »

Hi fred !

Installed your Deb Dog with Trinity Desktop to Usb Stick .........testing------

Cheers !

zagreb999

trinity DD32

#303 Post by zagreb999 »

Trinity works great...
There are not problems
I installed also wlassistant and
it works great
I use UEFI boot and I do not need any installation.
It is unique linux OS which does not
need any installation...
just copiying to HDD or USB, and with
UEFI it works perfectly...

greetings!!!

dancytron

#304 Post by dancytron »

Installed it.

Almost everything seems to work fine.

Only thing I noticed is that when I tried to put the icon for the Terminal on the Desktop (using Thunar "Send to Desktop") it said it was already there. When I overwrote it, it still wasn't there. I was able to put other icons on the Desktop that way and it worked.

Once again a great job.

edit: also, there were a few things left in the trash folder. When I emptied the trash it gave an error and then worked fine after that.

edit again: I figured out why the Terminal wouldn't show up. In the exo-terminal-emulator.desktop file, there is a line that says

Code: Select all

OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
All I had to do was comment it out and it appeared.
Last edited by dancytron on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#305 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb,
I installed also wlassistant and
it works great
I installed that also but couldn't connect to my wireless network, my guess is that it conflicts with frisbee.
Can you give more detail about what you did to make it work? e.g. uninstall frisbee maybe or install other packages?

Another subject: I've found that system sound notification doesn't work, my workaround for now (in terminal):

Code: Select all

cp -af /opt/trinity/share/mimelnk/application/ogg.desktop $HOME/.trinity/share/mimelnk/audio/
Then at least the startup sound works and system sounds can be configured properly in Trinity Control Center > Sound & Multimedia > System Notifications

Fred