DebianDog - Jessie - Continued

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#46 Post by backi »

Regarding mounting Isos with Thunar .Also squashfs and sfs are now mounting well .

Something was corrupted .....did new install ....now works fine .

belham2

#47 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Regarding mounting Isos with Thunar .Also squashfs and sfs are now mounting well .

Something was corrupted .....did new install ....now works fine .

Backi,

Will you please send me some of your special weed & hefeweizens over on one of tonight's ICE trains? I just spent 3 hours pulling my hair out trying the "Pupjibaro-Jessie" creation. All I can say is: my God, I want to wash Fred's feet as the 2nd Coming after enduring that ordeal. :?

Glad you got the mounting thing sorted out with a new install.

[edit: spelling errors]

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

Just couldn't resist to make a GUI version of the Quick-Remaster tool.
When installed newer quick-remaster package (gui version included), run it from Menu > DebianDog > Quick Remaster Gui.
More options included than in the CLI version, make your choices in the GUI, click OK and remastering is done in less than a minute! (well, if you choose default LZ4 compression).
EDIT: (of course it depends, on a slow USB stick it took for me a little more than 2 minutes, oh well..)
Only for very lazy and impatient persons (including me :!: :) )

Install from synaptic or from terminal:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install quick-remaster # will install latest v1.0.3
.deb package:
http://debiandog.github.io/Jessie/i386/ ... .4_all.deb
EDIT: Bug fix: gz compression option not working in previous version 1.0.3, now fixed in 1.0.4

P.S. as mentioned before, only works when booted with 'porteus-boot' frugally installed.
Thanks again to rufwoof for the concept idea!

Fred
Attachments
Quick-Remaster.png
Quick-Remaster
(115.5 KiB) Downloaded 1009 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 21:48, edited 3 times in total.

dancytron

#49 Post by dancytron »

I just tested the new GUI Remaster tool. Worked great.

I tested the old CLI version with a couple of different configurations a few days ago (on hard drive ext4, save on exit; on usb drive FAT32 Grub for dos, not save on exit with all the different options).

Nothing to report, everything worked as it should.

backi

#50 Post by backi »

COOL TOOL !

Makes remaster fun .

fredx181

#51 Post by fredx181 »

Script (testing appreciated :) ) to upgrade the kernel + initrd + vmlinuz on a frugal install here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 740#929740

Fred

belham2

#52 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Script (testing appreciated :) ) to upgrade the kernel + initrd + vmlinuz on a frugal install here:

Fred

Well, that sure was easy :D Gracias, Fred! (wish I could have done the DD64 this way, I am still not sure if I did it right...this way shows straight away in the terminal with 'uname -a' that it is the correct kernel. In the DD64, for me, it still shows the old one...but I know you explained to me that it probably installed) )
Attachments
pic1.png
(64.08 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
pic2.png
(54.4 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

fredx181

#53 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,
wish I could have done the DD64 this way, I am still not sure if I did it right...this way shows straight away in the terminal with 'uname -a' that it is the correct kernel. In the DD64, for me, it still shows the old one...but I know you explained to me that it probably installed
Well, the package may be installed (showing newer version in synaptic) but that's only half way.
The version output of uname -a MUST correspond with that (after reboot), if it doesn't you booted the older vmlinuz in the 'live' folder. (this way not synced), probably no terrible things will happen, but it's not the way as it should be.

Looking at your screenshot you have version 3.16.7-ckt25-2 installed on DD64.
If that's right (only if) then you could run the upgrade-kernel script to go to latest 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (with upgraded initrd and vmlinuz).

EDIT: Re-uploaded the script, see EDIT here:
The change gives better chance it will succeed, even if before you manually installed latest kernel with a (downloaded) .deb.

Fred

greengeek

#54 Post by greengeek »

belham2 wrote:P.S. I truly wonder if Puppy enthusiasts realize that the 'keeping your OS up-to-date with critical security flaws is a brain-dead easy with the DebianDogs? I mean, you install "unattended-upgrades" via the terminal, and you never have to worry about it again. It has changed how I view puppies overall, and imho, gives other pups & pup-related OSes something to shoot for. Slacko repos are great and all, but Debian repos seem to get stuff out faster, with less problems.
Puppy has a different philosophy. If you want to trust someone else to give you the "latest and greatest" then puppy is probably not the solution.

I left Windows because of the need to trust their infernal updates and I feel that trusting other people to constantly "cure" security flaws is a neverending roundabout just like the old windows nonsense.

I guess it might seem naiive but many of the Puppy enthusiasts you mention actually abhor auto updates. I guess it's like riding a motorcycle with no helmet - sometimes you just want to do it and let "common sense" go to hell. A bit like running as root really.

le_sabre

Problem changing screen resolution

#55 Post by le_sabre »

Hi all
I am new here. Just tried DD (32bits) on an old computer with 1 GB ram.
I did a frugal install to a 2GB pendrive. Quite happy with it :) I have a strange problem though.

When I change the resolution to 1920x1200 (my screen default), the screen turns to black and says, no signal

I can reach this resolution if I change it progressively, first 800x600, then 1024xsomething and so on. Then I can change to 1920x1200 and stays there, no problem.

If I save changes, next time I reboot I see the desktop for a moment (with low resolution) and then, of course, when it loads the changes, the screen goes to black and I can't do anything.

Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by le_sabre on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

mjaksen

#56 Post by mjaksen »

Hi Fred,

This looks amazing. I can't believe the whole thing runs in 75MB idle. I'm a new convert for XFCE. And the whisker menu should be required on all puppies everywhere. So far everything seems to work like a dream. The SFSdrop is SUPER convenient when making adrive.sfs's, saved me SO many mounts and umounts.

Do you have any idea how to get a Broadcom BCM43142 driver for this without internet?

Marc

dancytron

#57 Post by dancytron »

mjaksen wrote:Hi Fred,

This looks amazing. I can't believe the whole thing runs in 75MB idle. I'm a new convert for XFCE. And the whisker menu should be required on all puppies everywhere. So far everything seems to work like a dream. The SFSdrop is SUPER convenient when making adrive.sfs's, saved me SO many mounts and umounts.

Do you have any idea how to get a Broadcom BCM43142 driver for this without internet?

Marc
You mean you have to download it manually and then install it on a different computer?

Download from here https://packages.debian.org/jessie/broadcom-sta-dkms The download link is at the bottom of the page labelled "all".

Some instructions here.

https://wiki.debian.org/wl

fredx181

#58 Post by fredx181 »

Upgrade-Kernel made into a package now, install with Synaptic, or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install upgrade-kernel
See here for the improvements made, suggestions by 'The Flying Cat'
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 244#930244

Also see here:

Upgrading to the latest kernel will fix the Dirty COW bug, see also rufwoof's topic about it here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108674

Fred

rufwoof

#59 Post by rufwoof »

Installed via apt-get and ran the kernel update ... all worked great.

Fantastic job Fred.

(Running the latest DD Jessie version as my 'admin' secondary boot choice).

belham2

#60 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

Just wanted to post some unusual behavior (well, I don't know if it is unusual...but I've not seen this before) in this new Debian Dog Jessie.

I always do frugal installs, and almost always to either SD cards and/or straight USB sticks. So, I last night I take this new DebianDog Jessie that I am growing fonder of by the day, and plug it into another machine.

On bootup, I am faced with disappeared taskbars, icons missing, etc, etc. Yet, other changes (I made on the original machine) are there. I then take the SD/USB & plug it back into the original machine, and everything re-appears like nothing is wrong. :?

I then try the same thing on a 3rd machine, and---again---all sorts of weirdness, and it is not exactly the same as the 2nd machine weirdness either. This time, whole programs are missing out of the menu, ##.desktop files are missing, the background is gone, and a few other things.

I start thinking to myself "...this is super strange..", because I have never seen this before in any frugal install of other pups and/or pup-related distros. I then grab my frugally-installed DD64 SD/USB stick, and, totally confusing me, boots across all machines with not one issue and/or problem.

Thinking I have 'Halloween Demons' in my system, I try one last item for this new DebianDog Jessie: a netbook laptop. Again, the weirdness. Debian Dog Jessie displays all sorts of strange behavior---and what bugs me again is that this behavior is different from the above 3 machines. How is that possible???

Can you give me any ideas and/or hints what might be going on? Did I mess something up installing it originally?? :oops: Should I do the whole thing over again? Or did possibly the "kernel-update' do something that I am not aware of??? What throws me off, is if you plug the SD/USB into the original machine it was frugally installed on, it acts like nothing is wrong and everything runs perfect. Yet if you plug it into another machine, any of the machines, it goes haywire (please note: all machines are AMDs. and not one of them have any HDs attached ---they are solely setup for dedicated pup & pup-related use).

Thanks for any hints and/or tips in trying to figure this out. I just can't figure out why DD64 would act normal across all machines, and yet this new DebianDog Jessie i686 is doing some sort of "gremlin" dance depending on what machine it is plugged into.

fredx181

#61 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

Mmm.. very weird indeed.
First thing I think of when I read about such problems is that you might have a different/other 'live' folder on the other computers (from where it reads the changes maybe), but you say not having any HHD attached.
Are you sure there's no other live folder? (on other usb drive maybe)

I will try to reproduce tonight, in the meantime can you give more details about how you setup your frugal install (e.g. with unique name of parent folder of live /debdog/live or just /live) and changes= parameter (or did you boot using live-boot instead porteus-boot)
I your frugal setup for DD64 different?
Did you make a remaster or is it just the same main filesystem.squashfs from the ISO you use?

Fred

belham2

#62 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham,

Mmm.. very weird indeed.
First thing I think of when I read about such problems is that you might have a different/other 'live' folder on the other computers (from where it reads the changes maybe), but you say not having any HHD attached.
Are you sure there's no other live folder? (on other usb drive maybe)

I will try to reproduce tonight, in the meantime can you give more details about how you setup your frugal install (e.g. with unique name of parent folder of live /debdog/live or just /live) and changes= parameter (or did you boot using live-boot instead porteus-boot)
I your frugal setup for DD64 different?
Did you make a remaster or is it just the same main filesystem.squashfs from the ISO you use?

Fred

Fred,

Before you waste time, let me set up a new SD/USB card (I have lots of SD cards from family taking pics :D ) and see if DebianDog Jessie does it with a new install. Knowing me, I probably screwed something up on the first original install. I'll try this evening, and report back later tonight or tomorrow morning. It's Hallllooooowwwweeennnn :lol: :lol:

fredx181

#63 Post by fredx181 »

Ok, belham,

I think it would be good (if it appeared that you did something wrong making the frugal install) that you can inform us about what went wrong. Then we can learn from that.
Anyway if it's about 'interference' (detecting 'wrong' (not intended) live folder from somewhere) I'd recommend always to use an unique name for the parent folder of 'live' e.g. /debdog2/live or /debdog2-usb/live. See the (grub4dos) examples here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/releases/tag/v2.1/
Not only for the path to changes, it can even be that you load 'filesystem.squashfs' from a frugal installed Debian Live (if /live on the root of a partition).

Fred

ARModer64

#64 Post by ARModer64 »

HI.. Just following your works for a while.. just wanna say thanks (the 1st reason why I registered)... Its very fast on my Acer AspireOne D257.. And fixed the issue of unaligned icons and freeze bug on this netbook on your last 2015 version... And I just wanna ask how to install mate DE on this debiandog or any other DE like LXDE or Gnome2..( since its pretty boring on XFCE :lol: ). And any other WI-Fi manager on this build? Its pretty annoying that frisbee doesn't connect somtimes at WPA2-PSK wifi.. :?

Anyway this are the specs of my pretty old netbook (D-D is fully Installed).. :P

Acer Aspire One D257
:320GB Samsung SSD
:1GB RAM
:Intel Atom N570 CPU 1.66Ghz ~4CPU's
:Intel GMA 3150 GPU
Attachments
2016-10-28-184933_1024x600_scrot.png
185MB ram usage with firefox 2 tabs opened
(199.95 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

fredx181

#65 Post by fredx181 »

ARModer64 wrote:And I just wanna ask how to install mate DE on this debiandog
Anything that can be installed on Debian can be installed on DebianDog also, for Mate see here:
https://wiki.debian.org/Mate

So to install full Mate (300MB space will be used):

apt-get update
apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras
If you need further help with configuring (e.g. startup applications etc..) just tell me.
I'd recommend to enable Slim display-manager (reboot required) to be able to choose a session (F1, choose MATE) Menu > System > Start/Stop Slim display-manager

Fred