Woah! Saving session to DVD increases available RAM?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Inuyasha

Woah! Saving session to DVD increases available RAM?

#1 Post by Inuyasha »

I was playing around with Puppy Linux, and I decided to take the saving session idea and run with it. I already had a burned version, so I put another ISO onto a flash drive.

Here's pretty much the way I saw things:

1. Booted Puppy with Live-CD
2. Went through clean install steps (aka doing things for the first time)
---- It wasn't the first, but you know how reboots work.
3. I looked at the amount of available RAM, and it was about 149 MB or so.
4. I mounted the flash drive.
5. I used rxvf (or whatever Puppy's terminal is) to move the iso from the flash drive to archive.
6. I burned a new ISO onto a DVD-R.

Ok, so I booted with that and did the setup.
Afterwards, I saw the 149 MB.

So, I shutdown the computer and saved the session to a DVD. After booting to the saved session, which happened after a good reboot, I noticed that the RAM had shot up over 100 MB. It was around 330MB available space. I didn't have anything attached. I'm very sure about that.

Why did this happen?

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D
I have noticed the same thing,when saving to multisession CD,and have commented before on this, but never found out why..
Possibly because unneeded core elements from the "live" environment arent loaded on reboot once your configuration is known to Puppy?? Something in init.rd changes I guess???
Maybe some of the brilliant folks here on the forum will read this and ~splain
it to us.. :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

It's been explained in the forum before, but I didn't really follow the explanation. I think it has something to do with Puppy's memory management, that is, how it partitions and keeps track of free memory, not getting rid of unneeded parts. I could be wrong. :?

raffy

mounting

#4 Post by raffy »

The sfs files must have been mounted directly from CD/DVD - you can check this by trying to open your optical drive. If you can't, then the drive must have been mounted at boot time.

Much earlier, there was a discovered trick for Puppy to have extra RAM space, just put a date-looking folder in your files, like 2008-01-01. This will put Puppy in "save-to-CD/DVD" mode. In Dingo (Puppy 4.00) this trick should no longer work (but hey, we're talking here about true CD/DVD saving).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].