Which Browser is Best for Puppy

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else

Which browser is best for Puppy and why?

Dillo?
4%
Seamonkey?
25%
FireFox?
33%
Flock?
No votes
Opera?
28%
Swiftfox?
4%
Konqueror?
1%
Command Line Browser?
1%
hv3?
1%
Something else?
3%

Total votes: 156

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Which Browser is Best for Puppy

#1 Post by Lobster »

I am quite happy with Dillo (docs and help) - Bugman uses it - and SeaMonkey (we all use it - yep I am using it now)

The only browser I have not used a lot is Swiftfox - I found it small and fast. So my vote is going for Swiftfox. Konqueror needs KDE so that can not be the default. Mu likes it. Opera I always find I have to battle with - I used it for years but I can not be bothered to relearn it - I am out of practice.
Firefox is great in 109CE. I know G2 uses it.

and both MeanPup and Grafpup use Opera (a speed thing)

check out hv3
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 7833#67833
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

akaynchimcu

#2 Post by akaynchimcu »

I think firefox has been making a revolution in browsers and it's famous enought that i've heard.

bugman

#3 Post by bugman »

Dillo!

That being said, I'm actually using Mozilla, proving only that Lobster is not actually psychic. :D Mostly because I'm printing out the odd page in this particular session.

Swiftfox sounds interesting. ANYTHING small and fast sounds interesting!

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Dillo has too many limitations, it is good only for some chosen websites (forums, helppages). For those it is unbeaten in speed.

Konqueror is very fast too. Needs a moment to start, especially in KDE 3.5.4 I must run kicker first, or the options are not available. But if you restart then (or open new windows), it just needs 1 second, much faster than mozilla-based ones.
I also like the way it displays webpages most.
Of course out of discussion because of the huge KDE-libs.

Mozilla and Firefox are both the slowest, but most reliable on most webpages.
Most users are used to them, so I think it is good to have one of them by default.
Mozilla might be better for Puppy, as it is not updated as often as Firefox (Updates would use lot of space in Pup_save.3fs).

Opera is fast, but you must get used to it. If I would not have Konqueror, I certainly would use it more often.

Mark

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Having used John's MeanPup, I am bound to vote : Opera. Not always the easiest to configure & use, but definitely the best bang-for-buck in terms of size and speed. Also, the best managed company by a very large margin. Having a built-in email client saves space, although, much against the trend, my favourite is Sylpheed. Mozilla and Seamonkey, in particular, fail to impress. Firefox would be a second choice, although Konq. is much under-rated.

RR Koothady

#6 Post by RR Koothady »

I have been using Firefox as well as Opera but I have always settled down in the end to Sea Monkey ... because this browser renders almost all the Indic Fonts neatly, without any problem whatsoever (IE also renders renders these fonts fine. For the users from India, Sea Monkey makes browsing in these languages an uncomplicated affair). So, my vote goes to Sea Monkey.

RR Koothady

never_stop_learning

#7 Post by never_stop_learning »

I voted for Firefox - probably because I'm used to it. :wink:

darkerror05

#8 Post by darkerror05 »

I voted firefox. This is due to its speed, ease of use, adaptability and it bing relitivly wide spread use on windows and otherwise. Opera is MY favorite browser but that is not the question.
-darkerror

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't voted yet, because my data is out of date. I've been a loyal fan of the fox for years now, and before that I liked a certain airborn flame. However, a siren has been drawing me away, and the call seems to get stronger every couple months. I haven't heard the song all summer, so I've forgotten it's allure. Perhaps if I hear it once more I'll be won.

Translation: I need to give Opera another try before I vote. I'm away right now, but sometime in the near future I'll try it out.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

willhunt

Gotta be Opera

#10 Post by willhunt »

Opera for me IRC,bittorent,mail,podcast reader, News group, voice activation, one web program for just about everything! plus that just talking at your web
browser does something for me :oops:
anyone seen opera for devices yet?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

8) I have used Opera on a Phone

Simple - very good.
Opera (on my machine) does not render graphics very well
(it is a speed cheat thing probably? Dunno . . .)
On the wiki I have to tell Opera to behave as Netscape to get the editing icons.

Seamonkey works by default.

H3v I suggest has more potential than people realize.
Please try it and encourage the developers . . .
It reminds me of Puppy in its early days.
h3v could easily become our default browser, allowing people to add a second browser (if required) It would save some MB
Imagine it with a better start page, some icons and a little polish . . .
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

the latest Opera weekly build is 419 (Opera 9.02)
8 September 2006

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Changelog:
Lots of stability fixes.
Several fixes to saving of images.
Fixed functionality on the new Flickr Organizer.
Opera no longer crashes when trying to save a downloaded file to a full disk
etc etc

Béèm

#13 Post by Béèm »

Used to Seamonkey in Windows, so my choice in Puppy (or any Linux)
However due to it's pretty fast speed of loading I use Dillo from within my email program Pegasus mail, which only runs in Wine.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

can8v

#14 Post by can8v »

I design web sites from time to time so I have more than one browser handy and use them fairly often testing flash java javascript etc... I have noticed that Opera doesn't always behave as expected with JavaScript, but otherwise I like it. Firefox and Seamonkey always behave as expected, and I like Thunderbird or Sylpheed with either, but for puppy there really isn't an ideal browser. Opera is about as big as should be tolerated from a distro of this size, but I think Opera falls short as far as a browser is concerned. Fire fox and Seamonkey are to large. I have never used Swiftfox, but will give it a try after reading this thread. Dillo sucks. I really just don't like it. Sure it is blazingly fast, but it is incompatible with many sites and even if it does browse a site it rarely renders correctly, even XHTML compliant sites often don't render correctly.
For now I have to go with Fire Fox because it will show me how the majority of internet users will view my sites. Even with Firefox I have to find a winbox and test using IE. I would like to get IE6 or IE7 working in Wine for that purpose, and some kind folks have written scripts to make that a reallity, but they require that you log in as root.

gabriel_007

#15 Post by gabriel_007 »

How about epiphany? Imho it's even more efficient than Firefox - I use it on my Debian machine. Noone ever considered Epiphany?

Come to think of it - anything with the option to turn off flash (although it is sometimes necessary) would be great, as it is slaughtering my old pc, making web browsing a nasty experience.

MU

#16 Post by MU »

epiphany:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=61201#61201

Note that since Puppy 2.10, you must NOT install the Gtk-2.8 dotpup, as 2.10 has already Gtk 2.8.

Mark

Nathan F

#17 Post by Nathan F »

My favorite right now is Elinks. Granted most people don't use a text mode browser, and granted also that I use a graphical one a lot, but frankly it shows the internet in a lot more pleasant way than most graphical browsers and keeps my machine runnig fast. Blazingly fast. I don't want or need popups, animated gifs, cpu robbing flash, embedded audio or video, or any of that other crap, just give me the information I'm looking for and I'm happy. If I want to view your other content let me download it and look at it on my own time, but don't make me wait an hour for your garbage to load before I can view the homepage.

Okay, rant over for now. I guess if I had to pick a graphical browser it would still be Seamonkey, because I like the suite. I'm still an Opera fan but a lot of the criticisms mentioned above definately apply, not to mention the fact that it's closed source.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

kdulcimer

#18 Post by kdulcimer »

Opera all the way for speed. If something forces me to use another browser (like Google Pages), I use Flock.

By the way, Puppy has one of the best-configured Operas of any distro out there. Woof woof!

pg99

#19 Post by pg99 »

I really like dillo for the speed, it would be really bad if it disappeared - but why does it open every link in a new tab??? Its so annoying having to remember to right-click every link...

I run 109CE, so I also use firefox for the dillo-unfriendly sites. I wouldn't mind opera instead of firefox. Anything that has flash and java support out-of-the box would be fantastic really.

sin

My vote

#20 Post by sin »

I voted for hv3. Actually I never tried it, just red about it. I think it suits for Puppy because of small size and power. Browser is a matter of taste -- let user download his/her favourite. So I think that do not have a heavy browser in Puppy is a good thing.

I do not need SeaMonkey and any mailer because I use Gmail :) I like Opera, but Firefox is better for Puppy -- many Windows users are used to it and it is compatible with some web sites and Google AJAX services.

So my Puppy ideal is built in hv3 and three-click installs of Opera/Firefox/SeaMonkey using built in package manager.