Haven't been able to get sound through the TV speakers so using
external speakers.

Working well so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(99.25 KiB) Downloaded 860 times

prehistoric

#17 Post by prehistoric »

My comments about LibreOffice were largely personal preferences, but the question about the rate at which software updates will be required has a great deal of relevance for developers. Current compatibility problems indicate there will be a constant stream of changes as Libre Office tries to track changes in formats only visible as a kind of fan dance to people outside M$.

I'll admit I have not suffered loss of documents in Abiword, because most of my text is created before I worry about formatting and export, which is all I use Abiword to do. If it crashes I lose formatting, which also regularly happens when I send things to people running M$ Office.

I won't get into the WPS argument, though I hesitate to use that package. I suspect those developers had access to M$ source code.

I do have a speculative idea about the reason it does better at M$ Office compatibility. Having looked at files created by old M$ products, including buggy ones, I have a strong suspicion M$ Office takes a look at metadata describing which program created the file before making any attempt to deal with problems. Non-M$ software is then held to a higher standard of compatibility simply because this sells more M$ products.

Has anyone checked the metadata on files produced by WPS to see if it is a chameleon producing files which claim to be made by M$ products?

Added: to give credit where credit is due, Fatdog 710b2 still seems remarkably solid. As soon as I back up my last decade of email, I think I will move operations to that almost release.

Billtoo

Fatdog64 710 Beta2

#18 Post by Billtoo »

I used the fatdog installer to a usb-3.0 SSD, computer is a hp mini
stream:

Summary
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Memory 1898MB (282MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [710]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun Oct 23 13:28:28 2016
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

SCSI Disks
ATA SanDisk SDSA6MM-
Monster Overdrive 3.0
SONY DVD RW DRU-820A
TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100

The computer shares the same 32" TV as the hp desktop but it has a
standard HDMI cable connected to a different HDMI port, still no sound
through the TV speakers so using external speakers.

Working well otherwise.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(101.09 KiB) Downloaded 803 times

kirk

#19 Post by kirk »

Probably need to open the Control panel, click on the Sound tab and then click on Fatdog64 Set Default Sound Card. Then select your hdmi output. After that click on Alsa Mixer and make sure the output is not muted. It will show "mm" if it muted. Press the "m" key to toggle mute.

Also, If you just want VLC to send audio to hdmi, you can ignore all that typed above. Open VLC and click on the Audio Menu and the select Audio Device and select your hdmi output.

The reason for replacement of Abiword is that Abiword crashes a lot. It's OK as a viewer and maybe for typing a single page. But beyond that it's very bad. Libreoffice is the best we can do. The package we compiled is 59MB (as a tar.xz) which includes about 3MB of dictionaries/thesaurus for all english language locals. Besides replacing Abiword, LibreOffice replaces Gnumeric and adds a drawing application and a presentation application that's compatible with Powerpoint.

prehistoric

#20 Post by prehistoric »

Afraid I don't know what the problem is with Abiword crashing, and I'm not in a position to find out at present.

Now, having talked about how solid Fatdog 710b2 feels, I just got my comeupance.

The problem turned up when I was backing up things to switch to this version. My home disk has quite a number of different Puppy descendants, and it takes an effort to keep them from getting in each other's way.

I keep my Downloads folder out of the save file, and try to share it between OSes. Same with Mail. No big deal there.

I will also admit to being a messy housekeeper who doesn't throw things away if they might become useful. This resulted, over time, in a Downloads folder that was full of crap. After a while I created a new Downloads folder/directory, and renamed the previous one Downloads.old. (Hang on, I'll get to the point eventually.) Still later I did this a second time, producing both Downloads.old and Downloads.older, without throwing anything away.

This resulted in a lot of wasted disk space, which I finally decided to clean up for Fatdog 710. I used 701b2 to copy these directories to another disk, which took a while. There were some I/O errors, so I checked for files that got dropped. To my surprise, I found instead that some new files had appeared in the copy! All of these appear to have passed through Downloads at an earlier date, so I think we are seeing a bug in the aufs layered file system.

One problem with this bug report is that it takes a real effort to reproduce the bug. I didn't see the I/O errors at the time they appeared because I was away from the screen during the 20 minutes or so the copy took.

I don't suspect the hardware because this is the same dual-core AMD processor and 8 GB memory I have been using all along. The 3 TB hard drive was replaced last year using my usual procedure, which is to retire the previous working drive to drive emeritus status and copy contents to a new drive before any disk failure takes place.

Copying the Mail folder was not a problem. All the files in there are text files in MH format, and relatively small. The Downloads folders had a number of ISO images, and other large files, even entire books and videos.

I'm afraid we are dealing with a concurrency problem which looks better (rarer) on faster processors. I have not seen this on the quad-core 3.8 GHz processor with 32 GB of faster RAM, though I'll admit I have not tested it heavily.

Billtoo

#21 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:
Probably need to open the Control panel, click on the Sound tab and then click on Fatdog64 Set Default Sound Card. Then select your hdmi output. After that click on Alsa Mixer and make sure the output is not muted. It will show "mm" if it muted. Press the "m" key to toggle mute.

Also, If you just want VLC to send audio to hdmi, you can ignore all that typed above. Open VLC and click on the Audio Menu and the select Audio Device and select your hdmi output.
TV speakers are working now, thanks.

prehistoric

#22 Post by prehistoric »

Still have not been able to reproduce that strange aufs error on other machines. This got me thinking about what was different about that motherboard from day one. It is an ASUS M2NPV-VM, which has nVidia components doing all kinds of stuff. In particular I long ago went through problems with the nForce2 chips and the Forcedeth kernel module, which is usually thought of as strictly a high-speed ethernet interface. This greatly underrates what it does. It also handles audio, and there is embedded nVidia graphics.

What could be going on is a problem with DMA, which the gigabit ethernet requires. DMA is also in heavy use by the disk controller. It is possible this old system has never driven those interfaces at these speeds. I believe there have been reports of DMA memory mapping errors with Forcedeth.

Quite how this causes aufs to resurrect forgotten files I don't know, and will leave to the experts. If the problem is just one ancient buggy design, it isn't too bad. Other people need to see what happens when they do massive transfers on their machines.

prehistoric

#23 Post by prehistoric »

I have now completed the same massive transfer on the buggy machine using Fatdog 710b2. To do so I resurrected a standard practice of crufty old Unix people. You can find this described many places, here's the O'Reily version.

This forms a virtual tarball from the directory tree in the source directory, and sends it to a pipeline, the other end of the pipeline should be on the target disk. The reason for && is to make sure you don't clobber the source directory if the cd fails. I'll let someone else explain reblocking.

Code: Select all

# cd /mnt/sda6
# mkdir bckup
# cd /mnt/sda5/old
# tar cf - . | (cd /mnt/sda6/bckup && tar xBF -)
tar: ./Mail.old/Computers/625: time stamp 2028-02-27 02:26:41 is 357935476.331066128 s in the future
# 
Now my first observation is that this moved exactly the same directory tree as before, but without any I/O errors. Ideally it should be possible to issue a blizzard of cp operations without problems. This creates and destroys many processes, and doesn't always work, but Ken Thomson and Dennis Ritchie were well aware of possible hardware glitches when they were working on a PDP-7.

(If the machine you are working on can't run tar correctly, it has already crashed and you are in the middle of an unplanned recovery operation.)

Besides the absence of reported I/O errors, this method taught me that the timestamp on an old piece of email about computers came from way in the future. I was disappointed to find the message was spam describing old technology instead of a peek at the wonders of 2028. At some time in the past the system clock was way off, and I had never noticed this affected that file.

This method of copying/moving directory trees is so much more reliable that it might be made part of the standard GUI copy operation when there is a massive pile of files affected.

Sage

#24 Post by Sage »

As before - can't fault it!
Except, maybe we could have a 32bit version, half-the size. (For those not versed in perverse UK humour, that was a joke)

Billtoo

Fatdog64 710 Beta2

#25 Post by Billtoo »

One more:

I used the fatdog installer to a 32gb flash drive, computer is a
Gateway desktop:

Summary
Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16416MB (452MB used)
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Mon Oct 24 10:36:57 2016
Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NVC8
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

SCSI Disks
ATA Hitachi HDS72302
ATAPI BD E DH12E3SH
Kingston DataTraveler 3.0

Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.18.3
Monitors
Monitor 0 1920x1080 pixels
Monitor 1 1920x1080 pixels

OpenGL
Vendor nouveau
Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NVC8
Version 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3
Direct Rendering Y_es

PCI Devices
Network controller Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

BIOS
Date 04/19/2011
Vendor American Megatrends Inc. (www.ami.com)
Version P01-A3

It's working well so far,
Thanks

EDIT: I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver:
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 24 Oct 2016 on Fatdog64 710 Linux 4.4.21 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1204x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 375.10

One effect is that TAS (or any other app) can't get a proper screenshot
of a video playing with VLC, it just shows up as a green rectangle.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(36.03 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
Screenshot.jpg
(50.9 KiB) Downloaded 654 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64 710 Beta2

#26 Post by Billtoo »

New install to a macmini which is connected to my 32" TV.

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory 16338MB (398MB used)
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue Oct 25 13:00:50 2016

SCSI Disks
ATA APPLE HDD HTS545
HL-DT-ST DVDRW GX40N
Verbatim STORE N GO

OpenGL
Vendor Intel Open Source Technology Center
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
Version 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3
Direct Rendering Y_es

Sound is working through the TV speakers.

The macmini won't boot from a flash drive so I'm booting with the dvd and the savefile is a 64gb flash drive.

The intel graphics driver is working great on this pc and others that
I've tested it on.

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(101.33 KiB) Downloaded 544 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64 710 Beta2

#27 Post by Billtoo »

I couldn't get zarfy to work for an install that uses 2 monitors so I
googled for xrandr examples.
I found that "xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto
--right-of HDMI1" no quotes works for my setup so I saved it from geany as
2monitors.sh and put the file in /root/startup, then changed the
permissions to make it executable.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(31.55 KiB) Downloaded 471 times

ally

#28 Post by ally »

for info: booted beta 2 on a lenovo x201 with intel guts and an ssd drive

took a couple of minutes to boot, hard drive light thrashing continuously

when it actually starts to boot this happens briskly, unsure how to get you useful diagnostic info

:)

edit: non uefi

jamesbond

#29 Post by jamesbond »

@ally - how did you boot it, did you use grub4dos, or boot from usb flash drive, or from DVD?

@All: For those who are concerned about Dirty COW bug, kernel 4.4.26 is available. You can update your Fatdog using fatdog updater (from Control Panel). Note: this can only be used for installed Fatdog.

@mavrothal: the loading of kernel and initrd is done by the bootloader (since you use Mac, that would be either rFINd or grub2.efi). As much as I'd like to show feedback, it is not under our control.

@billtoo: We'll try lxrandr. Also, screen capture showing green box means that the nvidia driver uses an ancient method to play video on your desktop ("overlay"). There is nothing much we can do in this case.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

ally

#30 Post by ally »

sorry, JB - booted grub4dos

Code: Select all

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.2
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy tahr 6.0.5 (sda1/tahrpup6.0.4)
  uuid 88e38b9d-29b2-42bd-9e70-9ab62177d71d
  kernel /tahrpup6.0.4/vmlinuz   psubdir=tahrpup6.0.4 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /tahrpup6.0.4/initrd.gz

title Puppy precise 5.7.1 (sda1/chloe)
  kernel /chloe/vmlinuz   psubdir=chloe pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /chloe/initrd.gz

title Puppy slacko 5.7.0 (sda1/slacko5.7.pae)
  kernel /slacko5.7.pae/vmlinuz   psubdir=slacko5.7.pae pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /slacko5.7.pae/initrd.gz

title Puppy slacko 6.9.6.3 (sda1/slacko)
  kernel /slacko/vmlinuz   psubdir=slacko pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /slacko/initrd.gz

title Puppy tahr64 6.0.5 (sda1/tahr64)
  kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz   psubdir=tahr64 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /tahr64/initrd.gz

title Fatdog64 (sda1/fatdog64_710)
  kernel /fatdog64_710/vmlinuz   psubdir=fatdog64_710 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /fatdog64_710/initrd

# Windows
# this entry searches Windows on the HDD and boot it up
title Windows\nBoot up Windows if installed
  errorcheck off
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd  /bootmgr
  chainloader /bootmgr
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd  /ntldr
  chainloader /ntldr
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd   /io.sys
  chainloader /io.sys
  errorcheck on

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
  configfile /menu-advanced.lst
  commandline

jamesbond

#31 Post by jamesbond »

@ally - okay, so that's grub4dos. How big is the partition that holds fatdog? What is the partition type (is it ext3 or ext4)? Also, I remember grub4dos shows the progress of the file being loaded; when you said that the disk was trashed, did the progress continue to count upwards?

Here is my guess: grub4dos, while it can load ext4 partition, it is not very efficient in doing so, especially if the partition is large. Things are fine the ext4 partition is not fragmented (ie loading the first few files you added to the partition), but if it is fragmented then grub4dos can slow down tremendously.

I you can test on an ext3 partition whose size is not too big, things will improve, a lot. In my BIOS laptop (which I don't have with me right now), I used to have grub4dos boots Fatdog from 300GB ext4 partition. It works, but it slows down over time, especially as I keep updating Fatdog (at the same time I'm adding other files to the partition, thus the space used to allocate Fatdog OS became fragmented over time). In the end, I created a dedicated 16GB ext3 partition solely for booting.

PS: "psubdir" and "pmedia" are not supported by Fatdog, although they do no harm either. They simply ignored. Both of them are replaced by the "savefile" parameter. "pfix=fsck" also don't work, what you want is "dofsck". The only "pfix" that works is "pfix=nox" and "pfix=xorgwizard".
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#32 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote: @All: For those who are concerned about Dirty COW bug, kernel 4.4.26 is available. You can update your Fatdog using fatdog updater (from Control Panel). Note: this can only be used for installed Fatdog.
I updated the kernel, loaded the new kernel-source-4.4.26.sfs and
recompiled the proprietary nvidia driver:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 27 Oct 2016 on Fatdog64 710 Linux 4.4.26 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1204x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 375.10

Thanks

ally

#33 Post by ally »

it's a 20gb ext4 partition, no count on the current menu.1st, used fatdog to create a new menu.1st which shows the counter you described, it does not pick up other installations however

the 'thrashing' I'm seeing is the OS load, it's just slow, I had wrongly assumed it was hanging

I will reformat the partition and report back

:)

prehistoric

#34 Post by prehistoric »

Now running kernel 4.4.26 with Fatdog 710 beta 2. No problems.

Also recommend people update Adobe Flash Player, just in case some program of theirs still uses this. The current Adobe vulnerability is a big one.

One piece of advice, based on my own mistake, is to be sure you know which version of Fatdog you are updating. I forgot I had two 710 beta versions, and only realized I had updated the wrong one when I checked system information afterward. Doesn't appear to have done any harm, but if I had not checked I would be running a kernel vulnerable to dirty cows.

dr. Dan

Fatdog64 710b2

#35 Post by dr. Dan »

Hello, and thanks to the Fatdog64 developers. I've been enjoying it since early 2015, and, having tried quite a number of other GNU/Linux distributions on a few machines, keep coming back to Fatdog64. It works well, it works on most hardware, it is enjoyable and generally easy, mostly out of the box.

Dell D430, no HD, 16G flash drive with FD64 702 on partition 2, but currently booted to 710b2 from DVD:

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU U7600 @ 1.20GHz
Memory : 2040MB (180MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Fatdog64 [710]
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri Oct 28 22:40:57 2016
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-