Need driver .pets for Slacko in Intel Baytrail-T tablet

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Insomniacno1

Need driver .pets for Slacko in Intel Baytrail-T tablet

#1 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi, many people are trying to get linux working on their Intel Baytrail-T tablets and I'm one of them.

And I like to ask a developer to help me, by making Sound + Wi-fi/bluetooth drivers for this tablet in .pet form so that its easy to install even for noobs.

It would be best if the drivers were generic so they would work on any system but that is probably not possible. So i would like them to be for Slacko.

I found that slacko-6.9.6.3-uefi and slacko-6.9.6.4-uefi 32bit works best on this tablet, and booted from an usb with Ted dog's UEFI usb pack installed and kernel parameter:

i915.modeset=0

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97141

My tablet includes the following HW:

The Odys WinTab 8 is an 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet powered by Intels Bay Trail-T platform with an Intel Atom Z3735E quadcore processor. Built in is a microSDHC slot for expansion of storage of up to 32GB. 1GB of RAM. In terms of ports there is only 1 microUSB port which is host(OTG) capable and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Manufacturer Odys
Model name Wintab 8
CPU type Intel Atom Z3735E
CPU speed 1330 Mhz
Graphics Intel HD (Gen 7 Baytrail) - I's actually HD Graphics 4600
Fanless YES
OS Microsoft Windows 8.1
Display Size 8.0" 1280 X 800 - 1280x768, 1280x720 and 1024x768
Screen Type LED-Backlit LCD
Touchscreen type Multi-touch
Touchscreen FTSC1000:00 2808:1008
RAM 1024 MB
SSD 16 GB
Battery capacity 16 Wh

Wireless Interfaces:
802.11 b/g/n - Realtek RTL8723BS
BT 4.0 Realtek RTL8723BS

Wi-fi/bluetooth drivers for developer to use as kernel patch https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

No Wireless WAN (e.g. 3G cellular)

Soundcard: Realtek RTL5640/42
Drivers:http://12244.wpc.azureedge.net/8012244/ ... c8.tar.bz2 - Not working in Ubuntu, no sound.

Accelerometer: Kionix KXCJ9

It has 32bit UEFI bios, so in order to boot it on anything it needs the /EFI/boot/bootia32.efi - here are the files needed with grub.cfg files with examples - its made by Ted Dog and I have modified it to work on this tablet. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/948 ... usb.tar.gz

The bios can be accessed by holding both volume buttons and power ON, so you don't have to boot to windows first.

The partition scheme is as follows:

1. 100MB EFI
2. Windows C: - Windows 8.1 with bing - 9.30GB with 3.20GB free
3. Recovery - 5.15GB used

Seems to be using Wimboot.

Let me know if you need more info.

With kind regards

JBJ
Last edited by Insomniacno1 on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

In general, drivers are specific to the Linux kernel they were compiled for. A driver that works with one Slacko might not work with a different Slacko, or any other Puppy that doesn't use the same kernel the driver was compiled for.

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

I believe I have eyed that very model a couple of times, because of the processor. But I wanted an android system and I didn't think about it having UEFI and being able to boot from USB.

I have since bought another BayTrail tablet though, a 10" lenove/medion P10325, with android lollipop 5.0. The android setup does allow a bit better look at the hardware/kernel/modules as is relates to linux.

AFAIK, most mobile devices use a single binary blob called 'modem' or 'radio' which encompasses all wireless support, bluetooth, 3/4G and WIFI included. This firmware is proprietary and directly connected to the hardware bits involved.

The sound drivers are part of the kernel on android devices. Also, nearly all kernel functionality is hard-linked into the kernel, with only a couple of loadable modules. Your best bet is to re-compile the (slacko) kernel with this in mind.

As for having a kernel with support for many such systems, it shouldn't be too hard to achieve. The slackware 'huge' kernel configuration might be a good start, although there are large sections of options which would simply never apply -if you were compiling the kernel for an *android* system. I'd probably go the other way, though, and start with minimal kernel config and work *up* to wider coverage.

Search for the detailed spec of the machine and you may find that linux modules are already in mainline kernel code. You could also steal some kernel configs for similar hardware which runs android. Just search for machines with BayTrail/Atom. My P10325 has the Z3735F processor.

Insomniacno1

#4 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi I understand what you both are saying.

Which puppy has the newest kernel that get get closest to the 4.8.0-26.28 and are .deb compatible?