MacPup: Linux Nirvana

Promote Puppy !
limitles

MacPup: Linux Nirvana

#1 Post by limitles »

Figuratively and literally I have dumped Apple with the required Dear Steve letter. Linux saved the day when the aforementioned conglomerate and I were at odds. From Knoppix to Elementary, Mint, Porteus and Solus I was faced with issues which as a newbie I found frustrating.
Yesterday I read a review about Macpup and gave it a try.

I hit the gold mine. It's all here. They use a language I am familiar with(english) and they seem to want you to know where things are.

I did not donate prior to downloading Macpup but I certainly will be be very soon.

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

Nice!
I found Puppy Linux with version 4.3.1 then really was impressed with Lucid. Now I am on Tahr 6.0.5 as my main OS. Bye bye Microsoft. :D

anotherpuppyfan

#3 Post by anotherpuppyfan »

I did "intake" on a Pentium 1 Dell laptop with Windows XP in 2005 at the computer recycling center. It struggled with the OS with 144MB of RAM. I took pity on it and installed Puppy Linux 2.14, later adding G Compris.

I raved so much about it that the tech crew decided to use Puppy to check the operability of all donated computers with the live CD.

Here it is 2016, I'm retired now, and this Gateway with a single core Centrino CPU running Tahr 6.0.5 is posting this message to the forum in this topic.

I've heard it said that hardware has gotten cheaper and smaller and there's a breaking point to continuing to use old hardware.

From my experiences, I can't agree. This $10 laptop can smoke many newer units as long as it remains in right working order. I can't abandon what works. The challenge is too satisfying when the results work like this........

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

I converted from Mac many years ago, limitles, but I run a LupuPlus 5.2.8 today. The only thing I still miss from my Macs, is FileMaker. That is a superb database program, but it is unfortunately not available for Linux.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

tallboy. what about an osx emulator similar to wine?

https://www.darlinghq.org/

:)

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

That was new to me, thank you! I'll try it out. :D

Edit: Oops, it does seem to be in the early stages, but it is nevertheless very interesting. I'll follow it closely. Thanks again!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

rodocop

#7 Post by rodocop »

Hungarian community has newer puppy with E17 - MacPen630.

Well it's Slacko 6.3.0 noPAE defaulted to JWM but it has also E17 built-in.

You can read more on skamilinux.hu and download MacPen630 on archive.org