Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 17 Nov 2017, 17:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Crossover Linux installed, but where?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
TIW

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct 2017, 21:08    Post subject: Crossover Linux installed, but where? (Never mind)
Subject description: Crossover installation failed

Hi mikesLr.
Thank you for your help. I have done as you suggested.

1.Step
right click in /usr/bin to open a terminal window and write :
root# ln -s /opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover crossover

the terminal answered with:
root#

2. Step
From here I rebooted and
found no Menu entry change
Pfind did not find any differences to the first file output

3. Step
I opened a new terminal window and wrote :
root# crossover

this is what the answer was :

I hope this does mean something to you ? Thanks for your help.
terminal output.png
 Description   
 Filesize   48.72 KB
 Viewed   114 Time(s)

terminal output.png

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 17:33    Post subject: Crossover -- making headway  

Hi TIW,

I'm encouraged by the results. Which is not to say that we may not yet run into an insurmountable roadblock Sad , especially as we're entering territories –xml and python-- about which I know almost as little as I do about crossover. Smile

[quote="TIW"]

the terminal answered with:
root# --to be expected. You are running as root, so terminal is telling you it's completed the task and is waiting for another.

found no Menu entry change --wouldn't have expected to find one. Puppies create Menu entries by reading the text files named ".desktop" located at /usr/share/applications. Some applications which install to /opt also automatically provide such desktop files by creating a symlink at /usr/share/applications to those written in /opt. For example, LibreWriter's /usr/share/application's desktop is a symlink to /opt/libreofficeX.X/share/xdg/writer.desktop. Wine, on the other hand --unless the packager provides them-- does not include desktop files. Crossover apparently takes the same approach as Wine. Hopefully, if and when the time comes you'll be able to create Menu entries –often not needed-- following the pattern I spelled out on the Additional Software Forum/Virtualization Section for Wine Menus.

Pfind did not find any differences to the first file output. --You probably missed a listing of the file/symlink /usr/bin/crossover. You created it and it's obviously there as Puppy executed it.

The overall gist of the error messages the terminal provided is that crossover could not locate both the D-Bus python modules and GTK+ Python modules which it requires. It further specifies that the versions of those it is looking for are python2-dbus and python-gtk2. If we can get crossover to recognize those, the other error messages may be resolved or be less than fatal. See below.

I booted into tahrpup 6.0.5 and ran pfind "python 2.7". It didn't find a python ‘bin’ file. Lots of libraries, but no executable. Try installing recobayu’s Python 2.7.11 pet from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=883782&sid=7a58048c8379d8686d352fb69712e7dc#883782

Although Tahrpup 6.0.5 comes with gtk2 2.24 and python 2.7, gtk2 2.24 does not suffice for the python-gtk2 requirement. Tahrpup’s pfind, doesn’t find it. It can be installed by specifying "python-gtk2" --without the quotes-- in Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager's Search box.

The same goes for python2-dbus. I think, but am not sure it’s adequate but anyway, try installing "python-dbus_1.2.0" via Puppy Package Manager. [IIRC, unpacked that deb seemed to include the correct file. But, I've since deleted the deb and its unpacked version].

Regarding the installs via PPM, I suggest that you choose the “Download Packages (no install)” option, otherwise PPM is likely to download and install ‘the kitchen sink”. Browse to the folder into which the ‘debs’ were downloaded and Left-Click the debs to install them.

In short, for now, install the above mentioned pet together with python-gtk2 and python-dbus_1.2.0 (via Puppy Package Manager, PPM), Save, reboot, and type ‘crossover’ --without the quotes-- in a terminal and see what happens.

--- Concerning the rest of terminal’s messages--
This is for reference. No need to do anything suggested at this point. These other problems may not be significant if crossover links up with the above python files.

The messages previous to the missing pythons may all have lead up to that problem. It again seems that crossover is not a “self-contained” package but rather an installer which would access the repository of your distribution, then download and install those packages [perhaps, later, others]. Naturally, it doesn’t know what to do running under Puppy = “could not identify distribution”.

I’m not sure about the reference to missing “/root/.cxoffice/cxfixes.xml”. As it appears at the beginning of the printout, it may just have been a configuration file telling crossover how to access the repos of various distributions. Alternatively, it may have been a configuration file telling crossover how to set itself up. Or something else. If the first, hopefully by getting the appropriate python files the error would become irrelevant. If the second, it is possible that (a) the file is somewhere in /opt and can be copied to /root or (b) its absence may be trivial. If the last, your guess is as good as mine. I don’t understand XML programming.

Files and folders beginning with a “.” --dot-- are hidden files. In order for pfind to display them you have to include the ‘dot’ in your search term; e.g. “.cxfixes.xml” --then check the System Files button. But also perform a visual check. Browse to /opt/cxoffice, Left-Click Rox’s EYE, and do a physical examination for any likely files ending in xml. But, not now.

For future reference, text files are easier to respond to/comment about than screenshots. My guess is that what you did here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=971360#971360 was copy/paste the terminal print-out into your email. That’s OK. But FYI, the following would have produced a text file named “crossover” at /root:

crossover &>> /root/crossover.txt

You could then rename --right-click>rename-- it to give it one of the false endings the Forum allows as extensions, e.g. tar. gz. Zip; click the blue “Allowed Extensions...” under the Posting Heading “Allowed Extentions...” for others. Not sure it makes much difference regarding space used by the Forum on its Host. But those not interested can quickly skip it, while those interested can download it, remove the false ending and cut and paste relevant sections in responding.

As of now, your guess is also as good as mine regarding “unable to parse command line: Unknown option –error”.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 08:16; edited 1 time in total
TIW

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2017, 18:56    Post subject: Crossover
Subject description: Crossover Linux installed, but where?

Hi mikeslr.

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm finding a solution for my problem.
I am sorry for the late reply but I had to get my head around all of those facts.

I did as you suggested and went to the http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=883782&sid=7a58048c8379d8686d352fb69712e7dc#883782
and downloaded the "Python 2.7.11 pet" . Strangely this .pet file did not download into my download folder, but instead materialized in
my /root/tmp folder under the name ql8krUTO.pet and when moved it to /root and I clicked on it, expecting it to install automatically,
it created a folder under /root by the name of "ql8krUTO.tar.gz".

Somewhat baffled by this I checked the PPM and did not find a Python 2.7.11.pet installed.
Instead I went ahead and downloaded and installed both "python-gtk2" and "python-dbus_1.2.0" using the PPM. Both installed without a complaint.
I am afraid, I did not look out for those .deb files you mentioned. So I guess, I will live with those kitchen-sinks for the time being.

In order to install the above mentioned "ql8krUTO.tar.gz" file I employed the devx_tahr_6.0.5.sfs file.
After moving a copy of the ql8krUTO.tar.gz to my-application folder, expanding and trying to configure it ( please see picture ) nothing happened.
I think I must have made a mistake on the way.

Not to give up that easily I went back a second time to download the "Python 2.7.11 pet". Again I found the file in /root/tmp and again I placed it in my-downloads. After clicking on it the following happened : ( please see pictures below )
Would you have a suggestion. please ?
On the other hand no problems here : Please see Picture "this went well"
Using "Pfind" I found mountains of python related, as well as python-gtk2 files.

I am sorry to be of so little help.
Thanks again for your patience.

Cheers
TIW
PPM.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  PPM.png 
Filesize  54.13 KB 
Downloaded  10 Time(s) 
this went well.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  this went well.png 
Filesize  53.7 KB 
Downloaded  8 Time(s) 
final.png
 Description   
 Filesize   8.34 KB
 Viewed   62 Time(s)

final.png

denial.png
 Description   
 Filesize   10.32 KB
 Viewed   61 Time(s)

denial.png

denial.png
 Description   
 Filesize   10.32 KB
 Viewed   60 Time(s)

denial.png

anouncement.png
 Description   
 Filesize   11.3 KB
 Viewed   60 Time(s)

anouncement.png

downloaded.png
 Description   
 Filesize   12.61 KB
 Viewed   62 Time(s)

downloaded.png

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 21:49    Post subject: More to come  

Hi TIW,

I haven't abandoned this project (yet). Laughing Probably tomorrow I'll post a suggestion, but also email you some possible changes I think you might want to consider to how your system operates.

mikesLr
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: