New Browser, Perform on Old Pup [SOLVED] Portable SeaMonkey

Using applications, configuring, problems
Eathray

#16 Post by Eathray »

Morning everyone,

Thanks for all the thoughts. A couple clarifications or answers:

The optimum performance for grandpa laptop here is a pup with a 2.6.20x kernel (and I assume it's not only the kernel but what ever goes with it). If I go forward even to a 2.6.30x kernel... performance begins to drop off like tossing a rock into a pool. So the optimum pups here are 4.1 to 4.2. Additionally, this rig needs the ath5k module... generally 4.2 to 4.3 and on. I've tried adding ath5k to pups previous to 4.2 and have found the wifi... unpredictable.

Yes... I agree. I need a new computer. I can't do it yet. Being down for three months with my back, you can imagine how fast money leaves and doesn't get replenished. The folks on my local Craigslist seem to think their used, antiquated junk is finery equal to grandma's silver. I've seen p4 xp machines going for as much as 80 bucks and I can only assume the herbal remedies have taken hold because... they must be high in more than prices.

Even though the specs say not supported, some of these browsers will in fact run on this p3 machine... just, slowly. And the more I do to them... the slower they go. Firefox 27 was mentioned and... it does in fact crawl along on this rig; I fiddled with it a bit but couldn't really do much to improve it's performance so lost patience. Maybe I should take another look there. I would gladly try a lib-enriched Chrome or Chromium with just one add-on working, a user-agent spoofer. Google is ridiculous in their demands of upgrades and will hardly let me in to my own accounts, and won't support Opera. They are without a doubt becoming the worst company ever for so many reasons not mentioned here.

Opera... still the best over all and I may have found something yesterday that speaks to at least one issue.

Near Epiphany Moment

Reading your comments yesterday, a dialogue came up stating that an element had been blocked. Previously I mentioned that Opera from the Box page had complained about an element blocked by my firewall... which isn't even running, ya dopey sod... okay, it occurred to me that while I do not have the firewall on, I may have tried out 'pup advert blocker' on this rig. Even though I removed it... that doesn't mean it is entirely removed now does it? Because it modifies a file that has to do with what connections are allowed. If a connection is mistakenly blocked... I suppose Opera could legitimately have assumed I was running a firewall. So... I need to go back and restore that file to it's original state and retest Opera at Box.com, but of course I can't remember it's name LOL

r.e. some mentions of glib and friends:
I have in fact updated dbus, dbus-glib, glib, and glibc... all of them as much as I dare. I did discover the hard way some time ago that updating glib too radically will break a puppy beyond the possibility of repair so... I'm a little cautious there... but all updated, to at least Wary equivalent. I don't really know what those critters do aside from that they relate to C and browsers need them.

Okay, here's a worthy question:
Does anybody have a functioning QT browser that is actually up to date with it's needed dependencies... i.e. maybe an sfs or such of QT, QTWebKit, and the browser itself (Arora, Qupzilla, whatever) but up to date and mostly self-contained? Everything I look at in this direction is either out of date or pup specific. Are there any stand-alone QT set-ups that simply work on a puppy?

Another question:
Can anyone help me clean up that name-forgotten file from when I tried pup advert blocker so that I can retest Opera on a couple sites?

Security:
I have in fact updated openssl to 1.0.2, and have the 2016 ca-certificates. Everything is good there in fact except... you guessed it... Google. The worst company ever. Even though I have elements here and there not being rendered or rendered incorrectly, the only actual security refusals I'm receiving are from Google stuff. Which is fine because... I'm slowly migrating my goods away from Google now that they are causing me such grief. Filling my email box with spam-like false alarms. Not supporting Opera or other browsers. Giving my personal information to Homeland Security. LOL.

So... can I ask for a little help cleaning up that one file to retest Opera, and perhaps discovering something more up to date in the QT arena?

As always, thank you all for your time and assistance. Much appreciated.

P.S.
I ate way too much turkey... and have no regrets :D

mostly_lurking

#17 Post by mostly_lurking »

Eathray wrote:I have in fact updated dbus, dbus-glib, glib, and glibc... all of them as much as I dare. I did discover the hard way some time ago that updating glib too radically will break a puppy beyond the possibility of repair so... I'm a little cautious there... but all updated, to at least Wary equivalent
I think Wary can't run the latest browsers either, at least not without some extensive massaging (glibc upgrade, or maybe jumping through a few hoops to preload the browser with whatever libraries it needs - I've never tried that, though)...
Eathray wrote:Reading your comments yesterday, a dialogue came up stating that an element had been blocked. Previously I mentioned that Opera from the Box page had complained about an element blocked by my firewall... which isn't even running, ya dopey sod... okay, it occurred to me that while I do not have the firewall on, I may have tried out 'pup advert blocker' on this rig. Even though I removed it... that doesn't mean it is entirely removed now does it? Because it modifies a file that has to do with what connections are allowed.
Did it actually say the element was blocked by the firewall? Or could it have been the browser's pop-up blocker or some add-on that blocks stuff?

If it's indeed Pup-Advert-Blocker... I think what it does is filling the /etc/hosts file with a list of IP addresses and domains that should be blocked. You can check this - open the file in a text editor. Ignore all the "localhost" stuff on top (that should be left as-is) and look for a list that contains website names, like:

Code: Select all

0.0.0.0 example.com
127.0.0.1 anotherexample.com
If you find something like this, delete it. Or if your browser tells you which domain has been blocked, you might just remove this specific entry. Restart your browser afterwards. (It's probably a good idea to make a backup copy of the file first, in case you delete the wrong things.)

Eathray

#18 Post by Eathray »

Lurking, Thank you.

Now I know where to look.

Yes, at one time the dialogue actually said that an element on Box.com was being blocked by my firewall, which I believe to be a button that must track one's clicks. The site itself was not blocked, but we know that many sites are now hungry for capital and are selling our click-data... so I am assuming the button was trying to alert an ad site to my click behavior, but was blocked from making that contact by the file that was modified by pup-advert-blocker. I believe this setting was misinterpreted as an active firewall.

The other dialogue which I have seen twice now did not mention a firewall but simply reported that an element had been blocked (here on the Murga site). That dialogue may very well have been Opera's pop-up blocker as you mentioned, which is in fact on.

Thanks for the info on the file. I will have a look and see if I can determine what to clean up. I will report back soon.

Eathray

#19 Post by Eathray »

Well, checking the hosts file, I only see 4 addresses. the local host and three others. I'm assuming they are my printer, tablet and phone. Not what I expected.

There are however some other hosts files, such as hosts.deny which says, ALL:ALL. kind of ominous...

Okay, so I guess when I un-installed pop-advert-blocker... it did in fact clean up after itself...?

okay so... I'm thinking I should clear all cache and history in Opera because there might be something lingering there, and I've already noticed Opera's weird behavior of holding on to things long removed. I'll try that and report back.

Eathray

#20 Post by Eathray »

Okay... I am pleased to report a little progress... but a continuing issue.

Even though (apparently), pup-advert-blocker cleaned up after itself as it was leaving, there must have been some residual stuff in the cache and/or history of Opera. I cleared everything I could think of, set Opera to clear on exit, rebooted, and then putted my way over to box.com. The page rendered correctly, I signed in, all my data was there, all the buttons were there and functional, and there was no dialogue claiming an element was being blocked... so, apparently Opera's persistent storage had kept track of what pup-advert-blocker had previously blocked and continued that behavior. That trouble is now gone. Hurray!

Yet a problem... There are sites I never save a record of, so I don't save the password, the username, or even bookmark the site because for some stuff that has my valuable info, I want to go there cleanly every time. This means I search the site using StartPage, then click it to go there. As you all know, when you click on a link from your search results, the color of the link changes, indicating to you later that you have already been to that page. After clearing everything and restarting, I went to the search page, searched box.com, and when the results came up... the box.com link was changed in color, indicating that I had already clicked and gone there. In other words... a record is still being held onto somehow, somewhere in Opera. I've cleared everything, I've set it to delete stuff on exit (cache, history, etc.), I exited, and I even rebooted to assure that nothing was left in ram. No good. Opera is still keeping track somewhere.

This is one of the maddening problems with Opera. It also holds on to settings at times that have long been changed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

rokytnji

#22 Post by rokytnji »

Still not sure

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 76f67f1431

How I handled it

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/2264/pu ... ux-install

Back when I ran Jemimahs eeepc version based on Puppy 4.31. Puppeee

I would download the Seamonkey and Firefox tar file >bz2 from their download site.
Use the libraries in their folder to run the browser. Instead of the libraries in my internal Puppy install. Made my own desktop launcher also.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 715#867715

Just more info. Scroll down to where someone says Puppeee repo is gone.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 859#773859

Eathray

#23 Post by Eathray »

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I almost made the mistake of dismissing Netsurf, but I looked just in case and they have recently added support for JavaScript, which I need.

I installed it, and it has some missing libs, but I'll work on it some more, and report back.

Thanks again.

Eathray

#24 Post by Eathray »

Additional Opera report:

Went to PayPal. All elements rendered correctly. Previously the site was not rendered correctly and there were buttons non-functional and missing elements.

All good now with these changes at PayPal.

Still however could use help understanding what secret location Opera is continuing to store history elements, if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks

Eathray

#25 Post by Eathray »

Additional Opera Report 2:

godaddy failed. Missing elements. I rebooted into a newer puppy, tried again, noted the elements present, but on clicking, the pinwheel began to spin, but failed to load the element. The appearance appeared to be either flash or java, suggesting a plugin issue. My thinking is my java install on the older 4.2 pup may be a fail. My jre is 1.8. I may back that off to 1.7 and see if those missing elements emerge.

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

What's on GoDaddy that needs a JRE runtime?

You realize Java and JavaScript are two entirely different technologies, correct?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Eathray

#27 Post by Eathray »

Semme

yes. they ain't the same. be back in a few minutes.

Eathray

#28 Post by Eathray »

seeme

There are some interactive components on godaddy relating to youraccount settings for example, the pages related to adding a payment type or an account identity. They utilize the familiar spinning pinwheel of some java apps. Between my old and my new pups, I have two different flash players, both known to be working, so because it's two different players but the same fail on those elements, I eliminated the flash player. I also eliminated javascript because in the same version of Opera on both, I had two different types of failure, one with missing elements, and one with visible elements that don't work. I confirmed this by launching the a newer seamonkey with the same results.

What's left is java. I think I need to back off my jre to a previous version.

Unless I'm missing something... have I missed something?

rodocop

#29 Post by rodocop »

Eathray,
Is it possible to install Wine into your puplet?

If yes, I'd like to suggest you trying - NOT A JOKE - windows-only K-Meleon browser.

It's real RAM saver under Windows but it works great under Wine too.

It's portable so it doesn't even need an installation.

If your Wine could emulate XP SP3 than you can use the latest K-Meleon76 RC (Gecko 38 ESR based). No SSE2-requirement there too!

You'll get the same browsing engine like Firefox 38 but with about twice smaller RAM footprint as K-Meleon uses native Windows MFC GUI.

I tried it under one generally newer PC but is have shown real difference with Firefox there in speed and resource economy.

Well, you can learn more about K-Meleon as well as get help and download links at K-Meleon forum

Eathray

#30 Post by Eathray »

rodocop,

I have used wine in a pinch in the past, and if I cannot get a native browser functional for certain things, I would definitely consider wine and k-melon. I have already heard good things about it over the years.

Thanks

Eathray

#31 Post by Eathray »

Additional Opera Report 3:

Successful online purchase.

My kid turned 18 not too long ago and bought a really nice shotgun on his birthday. A Winchester Model 12 nickel plated shotgun made in 1920. Reading up on it, it's considered one of the best shotguns ever made. He also received some dough for ammunition. It calls for a 2.5 inch shell, a little uncommon.

So we found it online, placed an order, and everything went through correctly, using Opera on 4.2 smp on this old machine. So, it can make basic purchases successfully. I assume this test will apply to any small company's website. I have not yet tried a more sophisticated selling site like Amazon or eBay, but so far so good...

Eathray

#32 Post by Eathray »

Additional Opera Report 4:

Selling Sites

I have some selling sites I go to and they tend to be resource heavy. One of the sites I like is Etsy, where you can buy or sell crafts.

Went there, logged in, browsed around, made a couple changes to my profile...

Everything seemed mostly functional albeit a little on the slow side. They have a lot of flash elements, so I pretty much expect it to be slow... wasn't terrible. Might be able to improve performance if I upgrade the flash player. Currently have 10.3. I believe I recall the last flash that will work with this machine is 11.1 so I might give it a try and see if Etsy moves a little more quickly.

Well... Opera seems about a 90% success or so for this machine. I still wish there were more options, but I will keep trying some of the other mentions here in this thread like Netsurf or K-melon, etc. Also have been thinking about some portable options...

I could still use some help with Opera figuring out how to prevent it from keeping a history. It still remembers links I've been to even though I've set the preferences not to.

Semme

#33 Post by Semme »

I've got no such issue with Op. What's your prefs/history tab look like?

Another inventory you wanna look @ is "opera:config" >> Cache.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Eathray

#34 Post by Eathray »

Semme

it's set to clear on close, both history and cache. i also found another setting of not to remember history. i must be missing something though. its there anything not apparent, like hidden in the config file?

Semme

#35 Post by Semme »

Have you opened "opera:config" from the address bar?

Do you know how to take a screenshot?