"Send to trash" does not send to trash, it deletes

Please post any bugs you have found
kerl

"Send to trash" does not send to trash, it deletes

#1 Post by kerl »

:shock: I've just noticed that whenever I delete files they don't go to trash. What's worse is that space in hard disk (personal storage) is not released!
I'm using Slacko 6.3.2
Last edited by kerl on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Normal operation for delete in Rox file manager.
Delete is just that, delete it's deleted.

To put something in trash.
Right click on item and select trash not delete.
Or drag item to the trash icon on desktop.
What's worse is that space in hard disk (personal storage) is not released!
Is this after you reboot or actually make a save to the save file or folder?
Also, what you delete needs to be something of size to affect the save free space reading. That reading is a general size reading.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

kerl

#3 Post by kerl »

Delete and sent to trash works the same. Sent to trash right-click menu does not sent anything to trash.
After a reboot the space is not released either.
The indicator on tray to resize your personal storage shows current available space.
Dropbox stops working due to lack of hdd space. Please help because I don't have infinite space :?

TeX Dog

#4 Post by TeX Dog »

lol yes wondered why that existed, never seemed functional, one last thing that never got implemented.. :oops:

kerl

#5 Post by kerl »

My problem besides the trash issue is that hard drive space disappears!
This is what's happening: I deleted 500mb from my dropbox folder, then moved 500mb from a pendrive to dropbox folder, dropbox complained there was no space left on my harddrive, I checked traybar and decided to give my personal space 1gb more, the other day I did the same ( delete 500mb, move another 500mb from pendrive to puppy) and that's when I noticed that my Puppy was not releasing space when files are deleted by the user. WTF :shock:

TeX Dog

#6 Post by TeX Dog »

If its a newer version puppy try save FOLDER. I have the same experience as you with same files.

kerl

#7 Post by kerl »

TeX Dog wrote:If its a newer version puppy try save FOLDER. I have the same experience as you with same files.
Sorry I don't know what you mean..

TeX Dog

#8 Post by TeX Dog »

newer versions of puppy can use a folder/directory in a hard drive as a save-file without restrictions of a pre-sized limited save-file. Its limited by size of space. files saved are individual and can be truly deleted.

kerl

#9 Post by kerl »

Hi TeX Dog,

Which hard drive? I can't only see partitions. You mean Sda1 where Windows are installed? Do you mean using folders outside Puppy's partition?
is this a bug, right?

As for the loss of space on my personal storage where Puppy is located, where all this lost space gone when I deleted files? Can this unused space be recovered? is there a fix for Slacko 6.3.2 to download from somewhere?

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

If you use a savefile and send something to trash, the data will be recorded in your savefile (this is because the trash folder is situated under /root of the running system and linked to the savefile). To release the data from trash (and from your savefile), you need to delete it from trash. If you use a savefolder, all changes are saved to a partition directly, the whole partition is available and there are no size issues like using a savefile. You need to have a linux partition to use a savefolder.

kerl

#11 Post by kerl »

I deleted files but their space was not released for the sfs. So if I keep deleting files I'll end up without space in the sfs :!:
Can you confirm this bug?

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

I presume you are using a savefile. A savefile is not an sfs file but a file which has its own linux filesystem inside and its file extension will be either .2fs, .3fs or .4fs. When you create the savefile, you decide which size it should be. Now let's say you create one with the size of 1GB. In this case the savefile will occupy 1 GB of space on your partition (whatever the storage media you may use). It does not matter how much of the 1GB you use, it's a file and will occupy 1GB on your partition. Any changes (data addages or data deletions) occurring in the running filesystem (under /) will be reccorded in the savefile and will determine how much space is left in the savefile (not your partition because the savefile is just a file, 1GB in this instance, on your partition). See the savefile as an extension of the base sfs to record changes. So when you boot up the contents of your base sfs plus the contents of your savefile will form your running filesystem (/). The base sfs and savefile are just two files on your partition but when booted up is your puppy operating system.

kerl

#13 Post by kerl »

nic007, yes I meant a .2fs savefile.
Anyway, if I delete files there is no space freed. This is obviously wrong!
Last edited by kerl on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 22:54, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

TeX Dog wrote:lol yes wondered why that existed, never seemed functional, one last thing that never got implemented.. :oops:
Why don't you implement it, Tex?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Kerl, you may be barking up the wrong tree. You don't have to spend a lot of time online viewing videos and the like for your browser's cache to fill up your Save file. Try using Menu -> Filesystem -> Gdmap graphical disk usage to find what's filling up your Save file.

TeX Dog

#16 Post by TeX Dog »

Never delete stuff Flash so no need, On the topic of deleting stuff left you a PM. :wink: Hate to be the final post in a topic that disappeared. :cry:

nic007

#17 Post by nic007 »

kerl wrote:nic007, yes I meant a .2fs savefile.
If you delete anything under / , the availabe space in your savefile must increase but the availabe space on your partition will stay the same. To see how much data actually occupy your savefile go to /initrd/pup_rw, right-click the folder and choose properties from menu.

kerl

#18 Post by kerl »

nic007 wrote:
kerl wrote:nic007, yes I meant a .2fs savefile.
If you delete anything under / , the availabe space in your savefile must increase but the availabe space on your partition will stay the same. To see how much data actually occupy your savefile go to /initrd/pup_rw, right-click the folder and choose properties from menu.
yes, the icon on the tray to "resize personal storage" shows the same information: 6,0 GiB personal storage, free space 1.1 GiB
Believe me, free space would not be increased if I deleted files again
Flash wrote:Kerl, you may be barking up the wrong tree. You don't have to spend a lot of time online viewing videos and the like for your browser's cache to fill up your Save file. Try using Menu -> Filesystem -> Gdmap graphical disk usage to find what's filling up your Save file.

I don't have Gdmap under menu:filesystem
I cannot find Gdmap on my Slacko 6.3.2

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

Okay, the application in the tray is inaccurate, that's a known issue and has been reported before (my experience of that application is that free space of more than 1GB may be reported incorrectly). Check /initrd/pup_rw as suggested above for the correct values. Also - where in your filesystem are these files located that you seem not be able to delete and free up space in your savefile (give us the full path)?

kerl

#20 Post by kerl »

nic007 wrote:Check /initrd/pup_rw as suggested above for the correct values.
I already did and both values seemed to be the same.
nic007 wrote: Also - where in your filesystem are these files located that you seem not be able to delete and free up space in your savefile (give us the full path)
I can't check right now but it happened on subfolders under 'dropbox' folder, the one created by the pet which can be found in the repository
Last edited by kerl on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 02:48, edited 2 times in total.