One button hotspot

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
mouldy

One button hotspot

#1 Post by mouldy »

Last couple versions Ubuntu have way to create a wifi hotspot from a wired connection. https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/09/h ... buntu.html

Be nice for such in Puppy.

Anyway I ran across this as its tax time here in USA (I am a procrastinator) and this means I need win10 to run tax software and it requires internet access.

Well as of last fall only internet access I have is tethering to a 3G cell phone. This is not a problem in most of the Puppies (doesnt work in EasyOS), also works in all the Ubuntu family I have tried. But my win10 is missing some generic Microsoft authored driver for this. It can see and talk with phone as modem in device manager, but cant find or use it in networking. And you cant apparently download driver on a third computer to install, but I would need the driver functioning to connect my win10 to get the driver, you get the idea.

So I ran across above article. Ok two hour later I have iso of Cosmic Cuttlefish (keep wanting to call it the Krusty Krab). Seriously full blown modern Ubuntu doesnt run very well from live dvd on an old computer. But did fine once installed to usb SSD. Tethered it to phone and it could surf. Then created the wifi hotspot and it generated a password (Ubuntu folk seem obsessed with passwords). Booted up win10 computer and it immediately saw the hotspot and asked for password. Once that done, it surfed fine.

Not probably why Ubuntu gave this hotspot option, but its super easy to use and works very well. Be great if somebody could write script to do same in Puppy. Having messed in distant past with routers and SQUID and all that, this is frankly amazingly easy and very convenient.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Mouldy,

But a few comments / threads concerning the idea of running Pup as a HotSpot, NONE wired:
You need a wired Internet connection and an unused Wi-Fi on the same machine.
Expert comment on the topic.

How to connect to Ad-Hoc WiFi

WlanMaker
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

These are all build and tinker packages you link to for puppy and require knowledge and time. With Ubuntu, downloading the iso was the hardest part. One I had it installed, I tethered my phone, then I turned on wifi then I clicked the create hotspot button under Gnome menu in wifi settings and voila, it just worked. There have always been complicated ways to share internet connection via routers and home networks, but not one this simple that just works.

Sometimes one just doesnt want a long drawn out experiment. I didnt want to endlessly screw around making win10 do what its supposed to do and tether. I didnt want to spend days getting the tax software running via WINE. If I had to figure out how to home network everything from scratch, it would been whole lot easier to just take laptop to library and use wifi there. I mean its a once a year thing that I need win10. But thanks to Ubuntu I will have access at home long as I care to tether.

Either somebody with the skills will find it worthwhile to build this capability into Puppy or they wont. No skin off my nether regions either way, just a suggestion. I now have copy of Ubuntu that can do this for me probably as long as I care to use it. I just think this one button hotspot is quite a useful thing.

Probably more so as way to go online at home with Android gadgets and such for people with ethernet connection and no router, than to provide a piggyback ride for win10. My situation with only cell phone tethering as my internet connection probably not that common.