No votes
Slimbrowser
No votes
Other, Please state below
10%

Total votes: 29

bark_bark_bark

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Illutorium wrote:Chromium. but Firefox 45 ESR it's a last best for GTK+2 only. [Palemoon doesn't support VP9'] when Dillo are be best for Me at Vintage PC's only.

For me:

1. Chromium (64bit for 64GB+ RAM|Xenial)
2. Firefox 45 ESR (32bit PAE for 4GB+ RAM|GTK+2|Trusty)
3. Dillo (32bit i486 for <4GB RAM|Puppy Precise/Lucid)
Can you remind me, What is VP9 for? If it's for youtube, I can play youtube videos just fine on Pale Moon.

festus

#17 Post by festus »

I voted for Palemoon because of its speed and available extensions.

anewuser

#18 Post by anewuser »

Too broad of a question.

Which browser? something that's compatible (chrome/firefox/palemoon) that works in old constrained&low memory enviroments (atom cpus restricted to 2GB RAM but simply non PAE processors) (palemoon, seamonkey) and which are in puppy style and spirit (netsurt and dillo). On anything older than 2004 (Pentium M)

I'd probably choose palemoon, and seamonkey as a balance between the two (highend machines and low end machines)

8Geee

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Well, I'm still using FF27. After MOZ stuffed in pocket and hello, I said nope, no more bloat to configure. As others here and elsewhere have pointed out... make these two add-ons. I'll also add that sync should also be an add-on. Just hundreds of lines in about config to check false upon.

a basic version would be nice... no sync, pocket, or hello. There's apps for that.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Moat

#20 Post by Moat »

8Geee wrote: As others here and elsewhere have pointed out... make these two add-ons.

...a basic version would be nice... no sync, pocket, or hello. There's apps for that.
Agreed x10! Incorporating those functions into FF's already excellent addon "engine", as optionally installed items, just makes so much sense. Seems such a no-brainer, I'm quite surprised (disappointed, really) Mozilla hasn't gone that direction. Bloat cured, 100%!

Bob

Moat

#21 Post by Moat »

Hi Mike!
Mike Walsh wrote:Really, what's all the fuss about?
Well, um... GTK3 basically sucks!

:lol:

No, really, I can't say. But I do mess around some with GTK themes, and I've found that in comparison to our old faithful and beautiful GTK2 Pup themes - GTK3 theme code/syntax is waay more complex, convoluted and confusing/un-intuitive - and after a lot of work trying to match it's look to these existing GTK2 themes, GTK3 still seems to come up short in matching the old GTK2's basic overall appearance and features (I'm still learning, though...). And it's still in quite active development, thus always changing - and becoming more complex/confusing. :?

And GTK4 is on it's way!?! :shock:

But, whadda I know... :) Just a tinkerer...

Bob

Volhout

My browser

#22 Post by Volhout »

Opera for sure.

It is fast (even now they have switched engine).
It always packs something the others don't

- earlier versions had mail client
- earlier versions had torrent client
- Opera Turbo (compression on download through one of their servers): neat feature if you are using your phone as a hotspot for the laptop, and are low on data bundle
- VPN (choice of 10 servers).

I am not a power user. I rarely have more than 3 tabs open.

keniv

#23 Post by keniv »

Mine isn't listed so I voted other. I use QtWeb. Why?, well most 'modern' browsers are far too hard on my meagre hardware resouces. They can be so slow they are unusable. I have tried versions of many others but all fail in some way.

Ken.

B.K. Johnson

#24 Post by B.K. Johnson »

I have 3 browsers installed: The 2 mozilla browsers and palemoon. I hardly ever use palemoon. I use Firefox, (currently 50.1.0) despite the incompatibility with GTK3, because of (a) it works with the latest Video Download Helper add-on - Seamonkey no longer does and it is unavailable for palemoon (b) the MAFF add-on; Seamonkey for (a) HTML editor Composer and (b) MAFF add-on.

I save and edit web pages with Composer. When graphics are included in those edited pages, I can later combine text and graphics in a single xxx.maff file rather than the xxx.html and xxx_files combo.

lmemsm

#25 Post by lmemsm »

I like netrider and fifth. Both are lightweight for webkit based browsers. I also like D+ and lynx as really lightweight browsers (not based on webkit).

Moose On The Loose

#26 Post by Moose On The Loose »

B.K. Johnson wrote:I have 3 browsers installed: The 2 mozilla browsers and palemoon. I hardly ever use palemoon. I use Firefox, (currently 50.1.0) despite the incompatibility with GTK3,
How did you get a new Firefox to run? Did you install the new GTK?

I currently use FF-30 and cause it to lie and say it is FF-60. This way the web sites that are so badly written that they only work wit one specific version try to work and often do well enough.

It seems to me that the constant need for the folks a Mozilla to change stuff is evidence of bad code. The HTML5 standard has been out for a while. The standard for Javascript hasn't changed much in a while. We are well past 9/99/99, 1999->2000 and 2013.

B.K. Johnson

#27 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Moose On The Loose
Moose On The Loose wrote
..........B.K. Johnson wrote:
I have 3 browsers installed: The 2 mozilla browsers and palemoon. I hardly ever use palemoon. I use Firefox, (currently 50.1.0) despite the incompatibility with GTK3,
How did you get a new Firefox to run? Did you install the new GTK?
What I think I do differently from most puppians is manually install FF to /opt/ as mozilla instructs instead of to /usr/lib/. This way. mozilla can auto-update.

OOPs, I should have written GTK2 not GTK3. So, no, I use the same GTK2 that tahr-6 provides OOTB. The only incompatibility I have noticed using FF is this: Instead of getting small page increments regardless of where in the scrollbar you clicked, you jump to a position commensurate with the location in the scrollbar. That is, click in the middle of the scroll bar, and the middle of the page is displayed. Click at the bottom and you see the last part of the page. Annoying, but I can live with it. I overcome this problem by using the scroll button on my mouse.