Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#346 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Keef: I may have found the problem with Fatdog.

Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

Comment out line 131

Code: Select all

#/etc/rc.d/rc.network stop
The PWF version of rc.network is not built to recognize the "stop" option, so it would try to run at shutdown.

[Edit] This same problem will occur in some (all?) versions of Puppy. But since PWF introduced its own rc.network in 2014, this is the first report. If you can confirm that the above fix works, I will give you a better fix.

Keef

#347 Post by Keef »

Yes, that was a success.

rcrsn51

#348 Post by rcrsn51 »

Keef wrote:Yes, that was a success.
Excellent. Here is the better solution. Open /etc/rc.d/rc.network and make this change at the top

#!/bin/sh
#rcrsn51 2014-08-23

[ "$1" = "stop" ] && exit #to abort calls to rc.network stop
When I started working on the PWF version of rc.network in 2014, I hunted through the current Puppy rc.network and rc.shutdown scripts, and couldn't find a reason to make it a start|stop|restart type of service. This has turned out to be a mistake.

In regular Puppies, the messages don't appear and it might just cause a slight delay in shutdown. So no one has ever reported it. Or they experienced the same thing as you, but couldn't be bothered.

Thanks.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

mini-jaguar

#349 Post by mini-jaguar »

mini-jaguar wrote:I know it's not compatible with the FatDog64 600 series, but it loaded from the hard disk with the same menu and it worked fine.

It's probably been covered before, but why won't it boot from a USB drive?
Actually it worked fine on a 16GB stick formatted to ext2, I just can't get it to work on a 32GB stick with ext4.

Some error on my part is not out of the question though.

smokey01

#350 Post by smokey01 »

mini-jaguar wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:I know it's not compatible with the FatDog64 600 series, but it loaded from the hard disk with the same menu and it worked fine.

Actually it worked fine on a 16GB stick formatted to ext2, I just can't get it to work on a 32GB stick with ext4.

I think ext4 may be the culprit. Have you tried 32G with ext3?

zeno

#351 Post by zeno »

I get a kernel panic when I boot from a frugal install: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

menuentry "FatDog64" {
set root='(hd0,7)'
linux /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd
}

rcrsn51

#352 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try:

menuentry "FatDog64" {
set root='(hd0,7)'
linux /vmlinuz rootfstype=ramfs
initrd /initrd
}

watchdog

#353 Post by watchdog »

Many thanks rcrsn51! I was booting my fatdog64-710 from a usb-stick because I was unable to boot it by grub4dos or your grub2. Now I'm typing in fatdog64-710 after booting it by grub2 with the following menu entry in grub.cfg:

menuentry "Fatdog64-710 ISO on sda1" {
 set root=(hd0,1)
 loopback loop /Fatdog64-710.iso
# linux (loop)/vmlinuz waitdev=5 savefile=direct:device:sdb1:/fd64save dofsck
 linux (loop)/vmlinuz rootfstype=ramfs waitdev=5 search=2 dofsck
 initrd (loop)/initrd
}
rootfstype=ramfs in linux line was needed. Many thanks again.

zeno

#354 Post by zeno »

Thank you, it works.

Why does this puppy need that option?

mini-jaguar

#355 Post by mini-jaguar »

smokey01 wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:

I think ext4 may be the culprit. Have you tried 32G with ext3?
I don't think I want to wipe the stick for that experiment, but you're probably right because it gets stuck on "loading ext2fs" or something like that. Used "showerr" and it didn't show anything else, but just got stuck there and didn't boot.

rasul

encrypted SaveFile

#356 Post by rasul »

First thank you for the great job ... it works fine out of the box on a machine that most operating systems (puppy and else) fail in one or another way out of the box ... Thank you :)

Only some minor issues ... Seemingly FatDog is a bit different from the other puppies ... for example it seems not to contain the application that mount an encrypted puppy save file (extension 2fs) when double-clicking on the save file ... How can I fix it? which application should I add to fatdog? any binary already available?

Also, sorry if inconvenience but I couldn't get certain about what binaries does fatdog support? It seems to be slackware's applications but not slacko's, am I correcct? What about pet files? sfs's and deb files? Is there any easy way to use them for fatdog? please bear with me I'm totally novice here using fatdog ...

rcrsn51

#357 Post by rcrsn51 »

zeno wrote:Why does this puppy need that option?
Jamesbond will have to answer that.

watchdog

Re: encrypted SaveFile

#358 Post by watchdog »

rasul wrote: Only some minor issues ... Seemingly FatDog is a bit different from the other puppies ... for example it seems not to contain the application that mount an encrypted puppy save file (extension 2fs) when double-clicking on the save file ... How can I fix it? which application should I add to fatdog? any binary already available?
I can do it manually using a losetup-old from an old testing version of xenialpup64 which I attach. Delete the fake gz and move losetup-old in /sbin. Then in console:

losetup -a
and watch a free loop device. Say it can be /dev/loop2. Then in console for a lightencrypted savefile (I have used in the test a lightencrypted slackosave from slacko 5.7):

# losetup-old -E 1 /dev/loop2 /mnt/sda1/slacko57/slackosave_cryptx-s57-bk.2fs
Password: 
#mkdir /mnt/dir
# mount /dev/loop2 /mnt/dir
# ls /mnt/dir
bin  dev  etc  initrd  lib  lost+found  mnt  opt  root  sbin  sys  usr  var
# umount /mnt/dir
# losetup-old -d /dev/loop2
For an heavy encrypted savefile you can use in the example:

losetup-old -e aes /dev/loop2 slackosave_save_crypta-s57-bk.2fs
Attachments
losetup-old.gz
(42.66 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by watchdog on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

zeno

#359 Post by zeno »

Impressive control panel and out-of-the-box functionality, there are many recent packages (4.10 kernel, qt5, gtk3 and other chrome/firefox deps...).

I think that you should aim to achieve full compatibility with one big repository (debian/arch/rpm).

Another minor issue: On my netbook when I change the brightness/backlight, it saves the setting but it doesn't 'apply' it when I reboot.
A possible solution would be to append "tee /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness <<< 0" (change 0 with the number) to the init start script or to the .bash_profile, is this problem common?

Edit: It doesn't seem to execute the command, maybe I should put it in the /root/Startup folder.

rasul

#360 Post by rasul »

watchdog wrote:
rasul wrote: Only some minor issues ... Seemingly FatDog is a bit different from the other puppies ... for example it seems not to contain the application that mount an encrypted puppy save file (extension 2fs) when double-clicking on the save file ... How can I fix it? which application should I add to fatdog? any binary already available?
I can do it manually using a losetup-old from an old testing version of xenialpup64 which I attach. Delete the fake gz and move losetup-old in /sbin. Then in console:

losetup -a
and watch a free loop device. Say it can be /dev/loop2. Then in console for a lightencrypted savefile (I have used in the test a lightencrypted slackosave from slacko 5.7):

Password: 
#mkdir /mnt/dir
# ls /mnt/dir
# umount /mnt/dir

thanks for the tip and the file, it saved me a lot of effort, wish I could write a script to automate it ...

watchdog

#361 Post by watchdog »

rasul wrote:
watchdog wrote:

losetup -a

Password: 
#mkdir /mnt/dir
# ls /mnt/dir
# umount /mnt/dir

thanks for the tip and the file, it saved me a lot of effort, wish I could write a script to automate it ...
I have an easy way to automate the mounting of an encrypted savefile in fatdog64-710 using filemnt from slacko64-6.9.6.1 which has in the second line of the script the choice of "losetup" which you are using. I attach it (remove the fake .gz and move it in /usr/sbin)). Using my example:

filemnt.slacko6961 /mnt/sda1/slacko57/slackosave_cryptx-s57-bk.2fs
To unmount it open a new console and run the same command.
Attachments
filemnt.slacko6961.gz
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

bpuppy

LS_COLORS and other glitches

#362 Post by bpuppy »

About the directories' color:
Creating a ~/.profile with the export LS_COLORS=..., then rebooting did not change the directories color in the terminal, but strangely enough, adding this line in ~/.shinit did the trick. (Strange because ~/.shinit sources ~/.bashrc at the end.)

About ROX always showing text in bold:
You put your finger on it! The UTC clock is 4 hours past the real time in my locale which is Montreal, Quebec, CA.
This is not the first puppy doing that and maybe it is due to a mix up as CA sometimes means Catalogna (in France) and also Canada. With the daylight time saving setup, it would be reasonnable to have a 4-hr differential. So, the culprit would be the timezone files and unless we use a 3-digit code to designate countries, we won't see a fix soon i think.

Thirdly, notice that partitions sda6 and sda10 are mounted (says conky on the right-hand side) but the drive icons at the bottom remain unchanged. They eventually update if i do a restart X summon.

Finally, i don't know where to change the colors for the top-right calendar.

Sorry if i am long winded :oops:
bpuppy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Using Fatdog-710 (my best), TharPup-605 (second best), Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (for UEFI setup and package trials) and rarely Windows 8 (for some games).
Attachments
bpuppy-desktop.jpg
(194.25 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Keef

#363 Post by Keef »

Thirdly, notice that partitions sda6 and sda10 are mounted (says conky on the right-hand side) but the drive icons at the bottom remain unchanged. They eventually update if i do a restart X summon.
Same problem for me - although the NTFS partition shows the mounted icon straight off. Just one other ext3 partition which does not show if mounted or not, and same for USB sticks.

One other thing. 'mdsdn' was hogging the cpu so I have disabled it with no ill-effects. Couldn't find any references to this apart from on Android systems.

SFR

#364 Post by SFR »

bpuppy wrote:About ROX always showing text in bold:
You put your finger on it! The UTC clock is 4 hours past the real time in my locale which is Montreal, Quebec, CA.
This is not the first puppy doing that and maybe it is due to a mix up as CA sometimes means Catalogna (in France) and also Canada. With the daylight time saving setup, it would be reasonnable to have a 4-hr differential. So, the culprit would be the timezone files and unless we use a 3-digit code to designate countries, we won't see a fix soon i think.
I set my timezone to "Canada, Eastern" and, according to https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/canada/montreal, it shows the correct time, which is EDT:

# date
Mon Apr 17 13:40:10 EDT 2017
# 
My BIOS clock is set to UTC, btw.
bpuppy wrote:Thirdly, notice that partitions sda6 and sda10 are mounted (says conky on the right-hand side) but the drive icons at the bottom remain unchanged. They eventually update if i do a restart X summon.
Keef wrote:Same problem for me - although the NTFS partition shows the mounted icon straight off. Just one other ext3 partition which does not show if mounted or not, and same for USB sticks.
Anything happens when you execute this (replace sdXY with the problematic parition)?

fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh /dev/sdXY
Or this?

fatdog-drive-icon-redraw-icons.sh
If both don't work, my guess is that there's something wrong with refreshing at ROX level, but the only circumstances in which it happens I know of is changing hostname during the current X session...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Keef

#365 Post by Keef »

The second option

fatdog-drive-icon-redraw-icons.sh
works for me.