Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Yoliano

Fatdog64-710/Pmcputemp

#511 Post by Yoliano »

@smokey01

Following your suggestion, I made a Relative Symlink in /etc/xdg/Startup pointing to /usr/bin/pmcputemp, (the binary file with gearwheel icon). Then I made various tests, as follows:

1 - Rebooted 710. Temp. Icon present in tray. Completed 2 Hr. working session on PC. Temp. Icon remained present until shutdown. All OK.

2 - Made 2 more tests, as in 1. But Temp Icon disappeared from tray before end of session, in each case. Failure.

3 - Downloaded new ISO Image file of 710, from Ibiblio. Installed it on a new, unused USB3.1 16 GB Kingston Memory Stick, (genuine, bought from K. official online store). All in accordance with Jamesbond's instructiojns. Booted it Without Savefile option. 710 OS came up all good. Made minimal configuration, installing Pmcputemp from Gslapt. Went to /aufs/devsave/ and changed name of original Savefile. Closed session and made new Savedirectory. Rebooted 710 from same memstick. All good. Temp. Icon present in tray. Made 1.5 Hr. work session, including emailing and other tasks. But the Temp Icon disappeared from tray somewhere in the middle of the session! Failure. Note: Google-Chrome Browser NOT installed yet.

4 - Made relative symlink in /etc/xdg/Startup, as described above. Rebooted again and all good, with Temp. Icon in tray. Left PC running, without making operations, for 1 Hr. But Temp. Icon disappeared during that time. Failure.

So, it looks like there is some corruption going on somewhere. Maybe it originates in my hardware. It is difficult to understand how the Temp. Icon can survive for a while and then disappear. It is very weird behaviour. Also, I note that I cannot now restore the Icon to the tray by clicking on the binary file, as I could before. Things seem to be getting worse.

My ability to analise the intestines of my PC are minimal. So if you, or anyone else have some useful thoughts on this subject, I shall be very pleased to receive them. Many thanks for your interest and help.

smokey01

#512 Post by smokey01 »

@Yoliano try deleting the /root/.config/pmcputemp directory. It should regenerate a new directory on the fly.

The contents of my /root/.config/pmcputemp/pmcputemprc are:
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

Do you have something similar?

It's a bit of a mystery as it works for some but not others.

step

#513 Post by step »

borzeh wrote: is there any location to upload them (permanent) and let others use them?
If you follow the link "+packages' in my signature you'll find the thread for user-user-contributed Fatdog packages, and you could share yours there.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Terry H

#514 Post by Terry H »

2 days ago I did some updates via gslapt, which i hadn't done for quite a while. When I log in now using openbox I no longer have the lxqt-panels being displayed. When I attempt to execute lxqt-panel from a termnal I get an error:
"error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib64/libglapi.so.0: file too short."

Checking /usr/lib64, there is no libglapi.so.0. So it appears that something that I updated stopped the panels I had from running.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Edit: fixed typo.
Last edited by Terry H on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 22:17, edited 2 times in total.

don570

#515 Post by don570 »

Checking /usr/lib64, there is no libglapi.so/0
Did you make spelling error?

------------------------------------------------------

I would boot up , putting 'savefile=none' in menu.lst file
and copy over an undamaged file
libglapi.so.0

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... efile.html

Terry H

#516 Post by Terry H »

don570 wrote:
Checking /usr/lib64, there is no libglapi.so/0
Did you make spelling error?

------------------------------------------------------

I would boot up , putting 'savefile=none' in menu.lst file
and copy over an undamaged file
libglapi.so.0

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... efile.html

Terry H

#517 Post by Terry H »

I booted with savefile=none and checked for libglapi.so.0. There isn't one in the base fatdog-710 either.

On checking the updates that were installed the other day, mesa was updated to 17.0.3. It seems to me that this update is possibly causing my issue of the 2 lxqt-panels I have not being displayed.

SFR

#518 Post by SFR »

Terry H wrote:I booted with savefile=none and checked for libglapi.so.0. There isn't one in the base fatdog-710 either.
This lib is a part of Mesa, so it is in the base.
I'd suggest you to reinstall Mesa and see if it helps.
Alternatively, since /usr/lib64/libglapi.so.0 is merely a symlink to /usr/lib64/libglapi.so.0.0.0, check if the latter exists and if so, just create a symlink to it.

Btw, I've upgraded it to 17.0.3 some time ago and no probs...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Terry H

#519 Post by Terry H »

SFR wrote:
Terry H wrote:I booted with savefile=none and checked for libglapi.so.0. There isn't one in the base fatdog-710 either.
This lib is a part of Mesa, so it is in the base.
I'd suggest you to reinstall Mesa and see if it helps.
Alternatively, since /usr/lib64/libglapi.so.0 is merely a symlink to /usr/lib64/libglapi.so.0.0.0, check if the latter exists and if so, just create a symlink to it.

Btw, I've upgraded it to 17.0.3 some time ago and no probs...

Greetings!
Thanks for your assistance. I reinstalled mesa, restarted X and also rebooted, still the same, no panels. Checked /usr/lib64 again, nothing starting libgl....

SFR

#520 Post by SFR »

Strange... Ok, what's the output of:

Code: Select all

ls /usr/lib64/libglapi*
and

Code: Select all

ls /aufs/pup_save/usr/lib64/libglapi*
?

If still nothing, what if you just unpack the Mesa package and copy all the files manually to their destinations?

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

Terry H

#521 Post by Terry H »

I restarted without a savefile, then updated mesa only. On reboot the panels were displayed successfully. Completed other updates via gslapt, all still OK. I then copied the panel.conf and my mozilla .default file from the old save file. After several reboots, all working normally now with a new savefile. I checked the /usr/lib64 and missing files are there now.

Yoliano

Pmcputemp

#522 Post by Yoliano »

@ Smokey01

Thanks for your suggestion, which I have followed. The content of pmcputemprc
on my PC is as shown in the image below. Any thoughts?
Attachments
pmcputemprc.png
(50.74 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

Yoliano

Pmcputemp

#523 Post by Yoliano »

@ Smokey01

Forgot to mention your first suggestion! My apologies. I deleted /root/.config/pmcputemp and it regenerated instantly. But it changed nothing. Icon still disappearing. Did this before copying content of pmcputemprc shown in previous post. Thanks.

smokey01

#524 Post by smokey01 »

@Yoliano, I'm running out of ideas.

I have Fatdog64-710 installed on an ext4 partition. Are you using something different? I can't see this being the culprit but you never know.

SFR

#525 Post by SFR »

@Yoliano: Did you try to launch pmcputemp from terminal?
Any error messages when it stops working?

Greetings!

Yoliano

Pmcputemp

#526 Post by Yoliano »

@smokey01

710 is installed on USB 3.1 memstick, (see earlier post), on ext4 partition, all in accordance with jb's instructions.

@SFR

Thanks for your intervention. After the temp icon had already disappeared in this session, I relaunched it from a terminal. A few minutes later it disappeared again. The terminal output is as follows:
Attachments
pmcputemp-terminal-message.png
(10.6 KiB) Downloaded 636 times

smokey01

#527 Post by smokey01 »

@Yoliano, looks like it might be a hardware issue. Might have to look at 01micko's code. SFR is probably a better person to do that than me :lol:

SFR

#528 Post by SFR »

@Yoliano: Looks like Mick set the max. allowed temperature to 99°, whereas it actually can get higher (e.g. on my Acer netbook TJMax is 105°).

I've increased it to 150°, see if it works reliably now.
Btw, there's also a min. limit (10°), but I didn't touch it, because it seems to be max's issue in your case.

Greetings!
Attachments
pmcputemp-0.63-x86_64-1.txz.gz
NOTE: Remove fake .gz extension!

MD5: 7e29b070e234e49dc909288b8a720206 pmcputemp-0.63-x86_64-1.txz
(11.8 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Yoliano

Pmcputemp

#529 Post by Yoliano »

@smokey01

Many thanks for your help, anyway. It encouraged me to keep trying, which was a very valuable stimulus.

@SFR

Thanks indeed for your gracious gift of adjusted software. I downloaded it and removed the false .gz. Using gslapt, I uninstalled the existing version. Then I installed your adjusted version and launched it in a terminal. The Temp Icon appeared in the tray. Left PC running and went away for twenty minutes to have a coffee. Returned to find that the Temp Icon had disappeared! The terminal output was exactly the same as that posted previously. Launched it again and commenced typing this post. I happened to glance at the Icon and saw it disappear, a few moments ago. So no luck, I regret to have to tell you.

For your information, my PC is a Toshiba Satellite 17" Laptop, Model: C75D-B7215, with AMD A8 Quadcore processor, 8GB Ram, 1 TB HD. It is about 2 years old. It's a good machine in every way and Fd64-710 sits on it very happily and delivers a smooth and fast performance, - except for this little minor glitch! The strange thing is that Pmcputemp functioned perfectly for about six weeks after first installing 710, (previously using 702), then suddenly started this random exiting. Something must have changed, although I have not observed any other signs of change in the performance of my PC.

I am surprised at the magnitude of the temperatures that you mention in your last post. In my observation of the temps. presented by the Pmcputemp Icon, I have seen:

Immediately after Boot: 39/40 degrees.
After heavy cpu load session: 53/55 degrees. (This is maximum).
Average session: 46/49 degrees.

But I can understand that rapid, transient, high temperatures could occur under certain conditions, but are so quickly cooled that they don't get presented by the Icon. Putting two fingers in front of the cooling air vent tells me that the cooling air temperature does indeed change very quickly, both up and down. Just an observation!

I don't know if there are any other avenues to explore in this matter, so I place myself in your hands. But thank you very much indeed for your dedicated help in providing this experiment. I appreciate it very much.

SFR

#530 Post by SFR »

Hmm, this error message can appear only in one of two conditions: raw temperature value is less than 10000 or greater than 100000 (or 150000 with my patch).
So, maybe indeed it's a kind of unusually low/high spike in your hardware...
To know for sure, please run the attached debug packgage in terminal.
It's the original version with added debug statement, so we'll see what's the actual reading right before it exits.

Also, I've rewritten my previous patch, so now it won't exit anymore, even if the value is out of range (will be clipped instead).
Please try it after the debug one is finished.

Greetings!
Attachments
pmcputemp-0.63_debug-x86_64-1.txz.gz

MD5: 018bfa872ce1734020d61531dd90e815 pmcputemp-0.63_debug-x86_64-1.txz
(11.69 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
pmcputemp-0.63-x86_64-1.txz.gz

MD5: e62814551135b948c362638b8de05cd5 pmcputemp-0.63-x86_64-1.txz
(11.85 KiB) Downloaded 87 times