No sound in YouTube

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mercedes350se

No sound in YouTube

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

I have no Youtube sound on my frugal install - puppy 3.01 with 2.6.25.16 kernel. Yes I know it is old but then again so am I.

I understand that asound.state is where the alsamixer control information is stored.

As an experiment I

Code: Select all

# alsactl store
alsactl: relocation error: alsactl: symbol snd_tlv_parse_dB_info, version ALSA_0.9 not defined in file libasound.so.2 with link time reference
What does that mean?

april

#2 Post by april »

Hasn't been answered yet so I have no idea what it means but on my working system it gives no message whatever.

try "alsactl --help" and right click on the sound icon in the tray to get the full window up and play with what you get.

I would guess though that your sound card may not be being recognised for whatever reason . Is your sound on board or a separate sound card? Have you selected that card and configured it to run?

Do you have the sound wizard in your menu? . If you are looking to update a bit I recommend Precise 5.7.1 it runs a treat out of the box.

Some years back I had a Merc 280SE and a 300CE I think it was . Nice as both from new . Since have had an older BMW 535M and preferred the road handling and feel but now have an Audi A4 and apart from a stupid auto box its road handling and feel are superb.
Last edited by april on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 20:34, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Mercedes, do you have sound otherwise? For instance, can Puppy play a CD or DVD?

Mercedes350se

#4 Post by Mercedes350se »

@april,

alsactl --help
only gives options, etc

Interestingly right clicking on the tray icon and selecting mixer the speaker sound was at 0. Adjusting this to 100% had no effect.

Even more interestingly after doing this, opening alsamixer the front slider was at 0. Unmuting and adjusting to 100% also had no effect.

So another "problem" is that the mixer settings are not being saved at shutdown probably because of the alsactl issue.

The sound is onboard. I have been through sound wizard and get the "woof woof". I have an .mp4 on the system and it plays through xine without issue.

Thank you for the recommendation for Precise 5.7.1. I have a vanilla 4.1.2 frugal install and also a 5.2.8 frugal install - I like frugal installs because if I fix it till it breaks it is a simple matter to copy a saved save file and I am up and running again within minutes.

Off thread. The Mercedes350se was sold in 1991 with about 340,000 on the clock. The insurance agent, when asked about Mercedes or BMW, said that if I wanted a car to make all the right noises, etc then go for the BMW. If I wanted a highway cruiser then go for the Mercedes. Even now if I could find a good low mileage unit I would not hesitate to buy it. I could go on but this is a Puppy forum.

@Flash,

As stated above the sound seems to work with the exception of Youtube. This problem is all over the Puppy forum and the 'net in general so I am not alone.

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Which method are you using to access youtube. Browser and Flash? Is the video running/has it worked before/the volume slider is unmuted?

Mercedes350se

#6 Post by Mercedes350se »

Accessing Youtube using browser and Flash.

seamonkey 2.22.1

flashplayer 9,0,31,0

Video plays fine. I have no idea what I have done - previously I had video/audio on Youtube and the alsamixer settings were saved/restored on boot.

Theoretically the only difference between the vanilla 4.1.2 frugal install and this one is that vanilla has seamonkey 2.25 and the flashplayer is 11,2,202,400.

Give me a couple of minutes and I will install the later flashplayer. No change.

UPDATE: Went back to the, I assume 3.01, alsaconf, alsactl and alsawizard and here at least I have some progress - the slider settings are retained and also the

alsactl store
simply goes to the command prompt.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Mercedes350se wrote:Accessing Youtube using browser and Flash.

seamonkey 2.22.1

flashplayer 9,0,31,0

Video plays fine. I have no idea what I have done - previously I had video/audio on Youtube and the alsamixer settings were saved/restored on boot.

Theoretically the only difference between the vanilla 4.1.2 frugal install and this one is that vanilla has seamonkey 2.25 and the flashplayer is 11,2,202,400.

Give me a couple of minutes and I will install the later flashplayer. No change.

UPDATE: Went back to the, I assume 3.01, alsaconf, alsactl and alsawizard and here at least I have some progress - the slider settings are retained and also the

alsactl store
simply goes to the command prompt.
I think flashplayer 9 will give problems with Youtube, I've also experienced that before(in fact, if i recall, it didn't work at all), Flashplayer 10 and 11 works. I'm using version 10 almost everyday with Racy.

Try this: Boot without your current savefile, install flashplayer and see if it works. You may have saved some problematic settings in your savefile.

Mercedes350se

#8 Post by Mercedes350se »

nic007 wrote:Try this: Boot without your current savefile, install flashplayer and see if it works. You may have saved some problematic settings in your savefile.
OK. Booted up with no save file, loaded seamonkey 2.22.1, adjusted alsamixer controls and then tried libflashplayer_11.2.202.400.so - no sound.

OK. Try libflashplayer_11.7.so. No sound.

At this stage to all who tried to help, "Thank you."

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Have you checked settings for the audio plugin in Seamonkey?

Give us a YouTube video link that you get no sound.

Try about:config settings in Seamonkey.
Search for audio.
See if anything looks wrong for settings.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

april

#10 Post by april »

In precise 5.7.1 and seamonkey 2.19 I searched for any audio entries and found these and show their settings below. Perhaps experiment with the values .
I find I sometimes get a load of noise with a video when it is played through the Facebook page . Going to the UTube site though generally seems to work OK . I usually download the video and then play it locally if it is something I might want to watch again.
Attachments
aboutconfigscreenaudio.png
(30.71 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

Mercedes350se

#11 Post by Mercedes350se »

bigpup and april, thanks.

As well as "audio" I looked at "media" and "sound" in about:config.

Nothing jumped out.

Did the same on the vanilla 4.1.2 and, without making notes, everything looked the same.

Geoffrey

#12 Post by Geoffrey »

nic007 wrote:Which method are you using to access youtube. Browser and Flash? Is the video running/has it worked before/the volume slider is unmuted?
Are you sure this isn't the problem

[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Mercedes350se

#13 Post by Mercedes350se »

I was caught with this years ago - flashplayer 9 didn't show the controls across the bottom ...