TeamViewer packages for Puppy.....

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
RedQuine

#61 Post by RedQuine »

djfedup wrote:not only does it not give me an ID or password, it also will not allow me to log in. Does anyone else have this same issue?
Sounds like the same issue I was having - so I gave up on Teamviewer and started using AnyDesk instead. It's far lighter, installs quickly and easily, and works.

I've downloaded all my TV computers and contacts through the browser, and will probably close the account for security reasons. I can't imagine going back to TeamViewer again; every time they've updated it, I've spent ages trying to get it working, only to find that the next update breaks it again.

Life's too short. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ RedQuine:-

Yep, have to agree with you there. The Teamviewer devs, like so many others, take it for granted that absolutely everybody out there will always be using the very newest, bang-up-to-date, fully-patched, 'latest & greatest' whizzbang OS.....and write the code accordingly.

Any response on the TeamViewer forums - when you actually manage to get an answer, that is! - invariably boils down to advising the poster to upgrade to such-and-such an OS. No attempt to help with issues in other OSs.....that's all you get.

I bemoan the somewhat foolish decision to move away from the WINE-powered Windoze versions; re-packaging for Puppy was a relatively straight-forward process in those days.....but Qt5, seemingly, is where it's 'at'.....and it's what all the devs are drooling over now. So we're kinda stuck with it, I'm afraid.
RedQuine wrote:Sounds like the same issue I was having - so I gave up on Teamviewer and started using AnyDesk instead. It's far lighter, installs quickly and easily, and works.
I still think DWService is a relatively straight-forward, easy to use, browser-based replacement..... Just a personal choice.

Mike. :wink:

ndujoe1

Teamviewer alternative

#63 Post by ndujoe1 »

in the Bionicpup64 quickpet there is Anydesk which functions in the same way as Teamviewer with another Anydesk user.
Attachments
anydesk01.png
(107.29 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

ndujoe1

Teamviewer 13 and on :(

#64 Post by ndujoe1 »

Sad that the QT5 monstrosity has to be layered into PupplyLinux in order for it the GUI to function.

Many other Linux apps are going down this path to unfortunately.

I agree defeats the simplicity and size of the Puppylinux mantra

mcgyver83

#65 Post by mcgyver83 »

Hi all guys.
I'm using teamviewer very often to provide remote support to my parents/friends for pc and mobile devices.

It's quite useful also as remote desktop to avoid moving phisically from a pc to another.
I have an old laptop with tahrpup 6.0.5 32bit, I'm using it to convert (using an usb dvr) from vhs to mp4.

I didn't get what is the issue with teamviewer and tahrpup (I'm really a tahrpup newbie) :(

What can I use to have remote desktop on my old laptop?

Semme

#66 Post by Semme »

Haven't seen much of Mike Walsh today but I gather he'll be with you soon enough.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#67 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mcgyver83:-

What, exactly, is it that you want to do here? Are you talking about doing stuff between two Puppy machines on your local network (LAN)? Or are you wanting to provide support to somebody else remotely, across the Internet, who is in all likelihood running Windows?

Or is it simple stuff like file transfers?

We need to know this, since there's a whole bunch of alternatives available, though different apps are tailored to different 'use-cases'. It'll help to know exactly what you intend to do, y'see.

-----------------------------

The whole problem with TeamViewer in Puppy is that although older versions would function OK, they're not doing so because TeamViewer has 'disabled' all releases except the very newest; everything goes through their servers. Even if you're connecting two machines that are only a matter of yards (or metres, if you're metric) apart, that connection has to go through a server that may well be hundreds of miles away. With me so far?

The newest version has been built with the Qt5 libraries for the GUI. Qt5, unlike the much more 'slimline', 'user-friendly' previous Qt4, is a bloated monstrosity of a thing, which is considerably larger than Puppy itself! Qt4 would allow just particular 'modules' to be used to achieve the desired functionality; with Qt5, every single module is inter-connected to such an extent with every other module that it's a case of "all or nothing".

Why would you want to install 250-300 MB of dependencies simply to enable the GUI on a 25 MB app? If you're intending to run a lot of Qt5-based apps, it's probably worth it in the long run.....but for a single app, it just doesn't make sense.

I could be barking up completely the wrong tree, but the older versions, which were basically the Windows .exe file running under a self-contained WINE wrapper, were so much simpler to work with. Even where some of our Puppy devs have managed to get it running, it still doesn't in fact work properly, and remains very 'crash-prone'.

Here endeth the 'sermon'..! :shock: :lol:

Mike. :wink: