TeamViewer packages for Puppy.....

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
TeX Dog

#16 Post by TeX Dog »

Think I know what host only mode is based on reading, You can run/view on Windows laptop on the move your at home Raspberry but will be unable to run/view Windows machine remotely within Raspberry.
That is what I wanted, and it can be local LAN only which is how I want it, FOR NOW. :wink: only 8m sweet.
Now for the other FatDog64 supported???

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

@tlchost:-
tlchost wrote:Tried installing the deb version on a clean tahr....but teamviewer complained about permissions, etc....and being as technical as a door knob. I retired from the field of combat.
You do yourself an injustice, man..! :lol:

I believe this is down to the way that the free version has been coded, personally. I have been able to run an unattended machine with TV.....by leaving the target machine running, with TV set to start; then using the ID & password from the other end, and initiating the connection that way. But I don't think that's quite what's meant by unattended operation, somehow.....

Mike. :lol:

tlchost

#18 Post by tlchost »

Mike Walsh wrote:@tlchost:-
tlchost wrote:Tried installing the deb version on a clean tahr....but teamviewer complained about permissions, etc....and being as technical as a door knob. I retired from the field of combat.
You do yourself an injustice, man..! :lol:
na...when trouble shooting I always suspect myself first, my hardware second and my software third. Only when I have eliminated me and mine as the culprit do I look at external causes.
I believe this is down to the way that the free version has been coded,
With the windows version, which is both free and paid...you tell it what mode to use...and in either persoanl or commercial mode it works just fine in unattended mode.
personally. I have been able to run an unattended machine with TV.....by leaving the target machine running, with TV set to start; then using the ID & password from the other end, and initiating the connection that way. But I don't think that's quite what's meant by unattended operation, somehow.....
You're correct....the unattended mode means that teamviewer starts when the system starts....so you can literally crawl into the computer, and remote the remote machine....on your end, teamviewer asks if you want to reconnect to the remote system...and when it does boot up...you're right back in controlling it.

I'm pretty sure if I could have gotten the deb version to work, there would have been a screen that allowed me to set up unattended access.

Of course one could be a real heretic and either read the docs, or post a question in whatever forum might exist for Teamviewer....but that would take all the fun out of it, since it might be then an application that "works out of the box".

At this point I have 6 or so computers set up for unattended remote access....so one of the kids calls, or the son-in-law, or my cousin, etc I can crawl into their system. look around and make an effort to break it even more than they have...and when I've really screwed it up...I can either reboot it remotely, or ask them to...and lo and behold, if I have not managed to format the hard drive, I can crawl in and play computer wizard again.

there's another very nice remote control app that is free for both personal and business use....but it's windows based and I have yet to try it under wine.

I'll give it a stab and let ya know if it works

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

@tlchost:-
tlchost wrote:there's another very nice remote control app that is free for both personal and business use....but it's windows based and I have yet to try it under wine.

I'll give it a stab and let ya know if it works.
Mm, please do!

When I say it's probably a case of the way of the way it's coded, you must remember that what we have is the Windows app, albeit wrapped up in a WINE package to make it work under Linux. The problem may well lie in WINE itself (for the Linux version); I strongly suspect there's something in the implementation that simply is not allowing something, somewhere to do what it should.

Remember, WINE is somewhat 'hit & miss' at the best of times...

Question: am I right in thinking, then, that TeamViewer uses something like an SSH connection, which then triggers the 'Wake on LAN' function that Windows normally comes with? Probably a very poor guess at what actually happens, I admit... :lol:

Mike. :wink:

tlchost

#20 Post by tlchost »

Mike Walsh wrote:@tlchost:-
tlchost wrote:there's another very nice remote control app that is free for both personal and business use....but it's windows based and I have yet to try it under wine.

I'll give it a stab and let ya know if it works.
Mm, please do!
It did not work under wine...and WinHQ says the application is garbage rated, but they also rate Teamviewer 12 garbage,

Since I use both of them with no problems whatsoever under windows, I rate the wineHQ rating as garbage.

And now the classical dilema....if I value my time at anything greater than one cent per hour, how long will I flog the horse trying to get an app to work correctly in Puppy?

Hopefully this post will not be deleted as the one in the Puppy Newsletter thread was....the censorship in this forum is very, very tiresome.

Mike Walsh

#21 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, everybody.

I thought I'd carry on with the good work I 'inherited' from cimarron... Accordingly, here's the most recent release of TeamViewer 12 (12.0.76279), which was released during the last week of March.....and if not for my recent bout of ill-health, would have undoubtedly been 'Puppyfied' somewhat sooner..! :roll: :)

Both .pet and SFS packages are available, from the same URL as in post #1. Seems that more Puppians than would care to admit it use this particular app, as evidenced by over 350 downloads since the previous 're-pack' back in December..... :)

Enjoy. Any probs, let me know, and we'll see if we can resolve 'em.

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, everyone.

Not entirely sure how long this version's been out, but here's continuing with cimarron's good work:-

TeamViewer 12.0.85001

(EDIT:- Sept 18, apparently, so it's fairly recent.)

'Twould seem the GPU is now leveraged to help boost performance. I wouldn't quite like to say how this will affect some of the really old hardware running Pup; feedback from affected (or otherwise) 'Puppians' will be most useful, as per normal.

---------------------------------

Given that the Linux Teamviewer packages always come with a self-contained version of WINE 'built-in', the magic that enables all this to keep working (especially for those of us who, like myself, usually run WINE anyway) without conflicts between the different versions of WINE, is the /teamviewer script in /usr/bin. It utilises LD_PRELOAD to point TeamViewer in the direction of its own version, rather than attempting to 'mix'n'match' the two.....and at the same time, kills any other 'zombie' TV processes that might be interfering with things. Ultimately, cimarron and I both have CatDude to thank for this.....from a few years back.

It also explains why I could never get PhilB's TV10 and 11 pets to run.....because they simply linked to /teamviewer/tv_bin, without resolving this conflict. Anybody not running WINE, of course, wouldn't notice anything amiss.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 881#874881

---------------------------------

Pet & SFS packages are available from the usual location:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dsso94 ... TeamViewer

As always, any probs, give me a shout. We'll try and see what's what.

Enjoy.

daviddem

#23 Post by daviddem »

Hello,

I am on Slacko 6.3 and I would like to report success running your latest .pet package from the post above.

Unattended access, however, is not working ("Teamviewer needs to be installed first").

I found this and was wondering whether maybe you would be interested to make a .pet of it, for those of us who need unattended access?

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, David.

I've looked at this before. The main reason I've never followed up on it is that TeamViewer Host requires the Qt5 package to work (this is what produces the GUI).....and the problem is that you have to install a package of nearly 300 MB in size (bigger than Puppy itself) in order to run a single, small 20 MB app.

Which rather defeats the purpose of Puppy, it being a small, lean, stripped-down OS.

On top of which, the TeamViewer Host package appears to make a lot of system-calls that simply don't translate easily into Pup's file-structure and layout.....and in addition to that, it refuses to run as /root.

And since there aren't too many Qt5 packages available for Pup (and my personal compiling skills are absolutely atrocious), this is why I've never taken it any further. Moreover, the newer Slackos seem to have plenty of problems running packages which are essentially set-up for the 'buntu-based/RedHat-based distros to run... Slackware packages tend to have rather unique requirements. Get the picture?

daviddem

#25 Post by daviddem »

OK fair enough. I can actually let TV running permanently on the laptop, and the password won't change until I reboot the laptop or shut down TV. So I can still make your package work for my purposes.

Thank you for your work.

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, David.

That's pretty much what I do myself, on the odd occasions I want to use TV on my own system; leave the 'target' machine running, set-up ready to connect, then just make the connection remotely.

Works for my purposes.

vektor_alian

#27 Post by vektor_alian »

Vic here ...

When I have a computer I want attached to my Teamviewer account I add it from one of my other computers already logged in. After that it auto logs in.

I hope that is what is wanted by the OP.

Vic

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just so y'all know, I'm retiring from the 'field of play' on this one.

From version 13 on, TeamViewer is becoming pretty much unworkable except for a very small handful of Puppies.

Reasons?

1.) It has, like so many apps, now gone 64-bit only.

2.) It requires the Qt5 packages. Qt5 is a monstrosity, requiring more space than Puppy itself does.....and, given the relatively small size of the app, this is an utterly ludicrous situation.

3.) In addition to that, it would require running as 'spot'; it refuses to run as /root any longer. More and more Linux apps/programs are going down this route; I believe that in a few years time, Puppy's 'root' model' is going to be all but unusable, and will require a serious re-think.

Puppy as we currently know it, won't be able to exist any longer, unless users wish to exist in a 'timewarp' bubble, disconnected from reality.

I don't know why they didn't just leave TeamViewer running from its own built-in version of WINE. Quite why you should need to have a rendering system bigger than the OS it runs on, to produce almost exactly the same GUI, beats me; but that's the devs for ya; full of bright ideas to make their lives easier.....and 'Sod' the poor old end-user. :roll:

So; if anybody else believes they can do summat with it; feel free. I know my limits..! Essentially, that leaves us with Remmina for remote desktop stuff.....and at the best of times that's something of a 'mixed bag'.

The existing packages will, of course, remain available. They work fine for our use-case; once again, it's a case of 'newer is not always better'.

It is, of course, highly likely that as in so many cases, there's only a small fraction of the Qt5 'modules'/libs actually needed for TeamViewer to work. With the current state of my personal life, I don't really have the sort of time I need to go through all this, step by laborious step, to discover which those might be.....

Max Headroom

#29 Post by Max Headroom »

I've installed TeamViewer 13 on Xenialpup 7.5 32 bit, but it won't run because of missing dependencies, Specifically, qtbase-abi-5-5-1 & qtdeclarative-abi-5-5-0 after Hunting down many others! But Testing is supposed 2 Start in little more than 7 hours, so I'm in a bit of a Desperate Panic! This is supposed 2 be 4 a Community Wireless Trust 2 Remotely Monitor the Network. Your Help Will be Greatly Appreciated, Thanx! ;-)K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

mikeslr

missing libs:

#30 Post by mikeslr »

qtbase-abi-5-5-1 @ https://pkgs.org/download/qtbase-abi-5-5-1

qtdeclarative-abi-5-5-0 @ https://pkgs.org/download/qtdeclarative-abi-5-5-0, or at least that's what the search box at pkgs.org reports.

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Max Headroom:-

Personally, unless you have a really pressing need for it to be TeamViewer and nothing else will do, IMHO the best app for this job is now Smokey01's 'Back Seat Driver'. Much, much smaller.....and just as effective. Especially since you can now tie it in with Puppy's built-in VOIP 'softphone', PSIP.

I was helping to test the earlier versions, and was chatting to Smokey some 11,000 miles away, at the same time as controlling each other's desktops remotely. It works brilliantly. Live messaging and file transfers are also available.

You can read about it in the January edition of the Puppy Newsletter, here:-

http://smokey01.com/newsletters/2019/Ja ... 19.html#14

I've already run up some packages for this, but will not be releasing them until FatDog 64 800 officially goes to full, stable release. This is Smokey's 'baby' (and a few other contributers), and I'll not steal his thunder, since it will be built-in to FatDog 800.

---------------------------------------

I haven't even bothered to try and get versions 13 and 14 of TeamViewer working, since they now require (as you've found out), Qt5. Qt5 and me do not get on very well. I've yet to get a Qt5-based app of any kind actually working.....

Just be patient, until I release the BackSeatDriver packages. It'll be well worth the wait, trust me.

Max Headroom

#32 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Mike 4 your Timely Reply, However I had already been 2 those sites & DownLoaded those Files, But they don't work! Wot Next, Please? ;-\K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

Max Headroom

#33 Post by Max Headroom »

@ Mike, I just noticed your other post as I sent my previous 1... the Reason 4 Using TeamViewer is that the person Monitoring the CWT Network is most Familiar w/ Teamviewer also it's not intended 2 be used 4 Video Conferencing in this instance ( in Fact there won't be anyone eLse @ the Remote Location 2 have a session w/ )

;-\K

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Max:-

In that case, just use the TV12 package at both ends (12.0.85001). It won't hurt being an older version, so long as it's the same package at both ends; TeamViewer gets really stroppy if you try to run a newer version from an older one, or vice versa!

Max Headroom

#35 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Mike, that's wot I did & it Works, there was a warning about Deprecation or sumthing.

The Person that I Built the TeamViewer PC 4 is Really impressed w/ its Speed & How it Revived otherwize useless computers in2 sumthing Useful!

;-)K