Puppy Newsletter

Promote Puppy !
kerl

#61 Post by kerl »

I've just run into this alternative to Notecase.
Rednotebook (free, multiplatform)
http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/index.html

LazY Puppy

#62 Post by LazY Puppy »

I have a Linux Portable RedNotebook-1.1.0.

It needs python and it runs in my Lucid based LazY Puppy with python 2.6.4 loaded by sfs. But it doesn't run in tahr puppy which has python installed.

Python message ---> No module found: gtk.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

musher0

#63 Post by musher0 »

LazY Puppy wrote:I have a Linux Portable RedNotebook-1.1.0.

It needs python and it runs in my Lucid based LazY Puppy with python 2.6.4 loaded by sfs. But it doesn't run in tahr puppy which has python installed.

Ah, yes. The infamous PyGtk library! :) I never could get it to work.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

kerl

#64 Post by kerl »

Thought redbook might be java. Lazy? Is he or she? Hope it is not tailored for pimps

musher0

#65 Post by musher0 »

kerl wrote:Thought redbook might be java. Lazy? Is he or she? Hope it is not tailored for pimps
Hi kerl.

The name of the app is "Red Notebook". You had it right the first time.

It's an "it"! :twisted: (A neither male nor female thing! )
(Sorry for the tease! Couldn't resist!) :)

It's written in Python, according to its index card, here.

If you want to try RedNotebook for your own use, that's fine. But for
practical purposes, I think we better stick with notecase for this venture,
because all Puppies have it, regardless of Puppy breed or version.

IHTH
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

TyroBGinner

#66 Post by TyroBGinner »

Perhaps in the not-too-distant future, like within three months, I might get newer Pythons and their GTK libraries running. This is in connection with my mention of it in the software requests section. It is on my long list of computer-themed nonsense to pursue when I get some new hardware for casual use. If all goes well maybe I will make mention of it.

smokey01

#67 Post by smokey01 »

kerl wrote:I've just run into this alternative to Notecase.
Rednotebook (free, multiplatform)
http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/index.html
@kerl,
Another nice note taking package is cherrytree but it requires a few deps and is not native to Puppy Linux.

It is very powerful and can read notecase files.

slavvo67

#68 Post by slavvo67 »

I have a copy of Rednotebook working in RU Xerus. You can find it under the Puppy Derivatives link.

anewuser

#69 Post by anewuser »

Did not make the deadline, between two seasonal jobs and family over.

musher0

#70 Post by musher0 »

I haven't heard of Smokey since Saturday...

Probably busy rewriting everything!!! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

LazY Puppy

#71 Post by LazY Puppy »

musher0 wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:I have a Linux Portable RedNotebook-1.1.0.

Ah, yes. The infamous PyGtk library! :) I never could get it to work.
It's really confusing.

Since we are using gtk2 and gtkdialog why doesn't every puppy -that comes with some python stuff- come including python gtk module?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

tlchost

#72 Post by tlchost »

LazY Puppy wrote: Since we are using gtk2 and gtkdialog why doesn't every puppy -that comes with some python stuff- come including python gtk module?
Puppy and standardization? Heretic!

smokey01

#73 Post by smokey01 »

@musher you are on the money.

@anewuser don't worry about the deadline, if I can't get it in before the 1st it will just go in the Feb edition. You can't escape that easily :lol:
musher0 wrote:I haven't heard of Smokey since Saturday...

greengeek

#74 Post by greengeek »

smokey01 wrote:What makes puppy, puppy?
How is it different from the majority of other distros?
As per puppylinux.com, to be official it has to be built with Woof-CE. To get the official tick in the box this may be true however, the things that make puppy different are:
1. The layered file system,
2. Frugal installations, and
3. Arguably sfs files.
I saw someone state that the newsletter should eschew puplets and deviant dogs (to minimise clutter) and focus on true puppies. If that is agreed as the consensus then I would like to see your synopsis above (or some other similar succint summary of the definition of "true puppery") as the number one article in each newsletter - almost like a mantra if it can be summarised in one or two lines (maybe even a hyperlink).

Also - I think it would be helpful to make the absolute first line of each newsletter state the info you highlighted as "important" eg:

Code: Select all

IMPORTANT

To make Notecase wordwrap the text and remember the GUI dimensions, press F7, make sure "Restore last position/size" is ticked, and under the display tab make sure "Wrap text" is ticked.
Yes I know "important" is highlighted in red, and it is visible on the first page - but I still missed it and spent ages trying to work out why the text went out into the hills.
If it could be the very first line of the newsletter then I have a chance of noticing it early.
8)

musher0

#75 Post by musher0 »

smokey01 wrote:@musher you are on the money.

@anewuser don't worry about the deadline, if I can't get it in before the 1st it will just go in the Feb edition. You can't escape that easily :lol:
musher0 wrote:I haven't heard of Smokey since Saturday...

My English isn't so bad, is it? :roll:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#76 Post by musher0 »

@greengeek

Since "official" puppies are now few and far between, I believe on the
contrary that we should have a good and substantial section on puplets.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

smokey01

#77 Post by smokey01 »

None of your stuff musher0. Only mine.

musher0

#78 Post by musher0 »

smokey01 wrote:None of your stuff musher0. Only mine.
Phew. ;)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

anewuser

#79 Post by anewuser »

smokey01 wrote: @anewuser don't worry about the deadline, if I can't get it in before the 1st it will just go in the Feb edition. You can't escape that easily :lol:
not to worry xD but yeah, but aiming personally to 3 to 6 participations per year.

tlchost wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote: Since we are using gtk2 and gtkdialog why doesn't every puppy -that comes with some python stuff- come including python gtk module?

Puppy and standardization? Heretic!
greengeek wrote:
smokey01 wrote:What makes puppy, puppy?
How is it different from the majority of other distros?
To get the official tick in the box this may be true however, the things that make puppy different are:
1. The layered file system,
2. Frugal installations, and
3. Arguably sfs files.

I'm no developer but these are the utmost important stuff actually. I'm no developer nor hacker so my perception of this is different from the community but a few things to remember is the historical development of puppy. puppy started in a time were size mattered. Not an issue nowdays with +8gb thumb drives), but an issue when objectives are to Fit in 1.44MB floppy or fit in 100MB or less. Also to make a live distro ready to be used was another perspective.

Also, PAE/NON-PAE (32bit/64bit) was a turning point for puppy as well because it was a reminder of changing times in computing with the separation (and leaving behind) a generation of users and machines between 'legacy' and 'modern'. This perspective allows abiword vs openoffice, mpaint vs inkscape, netsurf or dillo vs chrome/firefox/palemoon, etc. More room (ram/hdd space) for both more specialized and more general tools, no longer niche tools to fit size or alternatives perspectives.

I believe the internal architecture and packages included is what set puppy apart from other distros (a balance between alternative smaller packages and usability within the particular objective to always experiment *inside* the architecture of the puppy distro)
Certain limitations and configurations apply but always experimenting. Puppy is much about experimenting, you take experimenting out and puppy stops being puppy and becomes a standarised distro.

That's why standarization is difficult and pet packages don't always work between distros, but that's a linux thing rather than a puppy thing, although puppy accentuates that. That's why we see slackware packages, and debian packages, and ubuntu packages and their own custom repositories.

What makes puppy, puppy? Oh that's beautiful to thinker.
Racy stills works on an old pendrive. So does my wary set up. So does my Tahr set up. Neither are broken, neither need fixing. Well maybe copy operations with international characters (dunno if that's still an issue in moderns pups). The objective of a live distro ready to use with a twist and lots of personality is completely fully achieved! Everything else are added bonuses. Saluki, slacko, rlsd2, rlsd (both iguelder's) and other puppies have booted to desktop perfectly fine to start work. If booting to desktop was a goal, puppy has achieved it.

Redefine objectives? Well Woof-CE is certainly that. Consolidate puppy after barry's stepping down. Dunno about making it more modular, or stardard across versions (I'm no developer to know). It's still very experimental in nature, the core of puppy is being experimental.

What is puppy is key despite the conceptual, ideological, and technical differences in perspective we have seen throughout the years regarding puppy.

Sorry if it came out like engrish or typoes.

greengeek

#80 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:Since "official" puppies are now few and far between, I believe on the contrary that we should have a good and substantial section on puplets.
Ok, thats good news - but on this occasion you have confused me - what exactly did you mean by the following:
musher0 wrote:As to editorial policy, Barry has decided to retire from Puppy, and his new Quirkies have a completely new non-Puppy design. His off-shoot should therefore not be a subject in a Puppy-focused newsletter.

If he has something new to contribute to the Puppy context, that's fine,
but otherwise his Quirky should be off-limits for this newsletter, IMO.
BarryK can not be simultaneously in and out of Puppy.

Same for DebianDogs. They are tangent, using some Puppy material,
but not really Puppies.

In my mind this newsletter should focus solely on things Puppy.
(Page 2 of this thread)

If you are limiting the newsletter to a specific form of puppy (even excluding the masters new offerings) then I do think it is worth defining what constitutes a puppy - for example - you like pekwm etc in preference to jwm. Does Barry's original puppy definition include alternative wm's?

What do you think about having a section for strict puppies as well as a section for other more expansive/alternative versions?