Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 22 Jun 2017, 12:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Engineering/Science/Simulation
cnc / inkscape
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
brigsy1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 08:18    Post subject:  cnc / inkscape
Subject description: Linuxcnc

Hi guys.
I didn't realise I had not been on the forums for so long, my last login was 2011.
Life is short and we all have some living to do.

To the point:
I am building a mobile version of Linux cnc from my working hdd and wish to keep it as small as possible for usb booting, I have the image down to just less than 5G and still working with all the tools I use, (mainly python scripts).
I am using the recommended kernel rt wheezy 2.7 and lxde as desktop.
Until now I have not skimped on the browser and the cad programs so this is my next downsize.

Any recommendations for substitutes of Firefox and Librecad?
I have been away from computer engineering for some time and have a lot of catching up to do.
My thoughts from the brief look up I have had is to try and get Barry's version of inkscape (inklite) and a basic paint program would do all I need and perhaps dillo for the browser.
What are the current best for job with minimal size apps I should go for and how to install them on my system?
I did look at debiandog but lack the knowledge of converting and building (memeory issues after a trauma).

Thanks in advance for any sensible suggestions.
Revolverve

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2016, 10:05    Post subject:  

Hi brigsy1
No real suggestion to your asking,just more questions. Have you made a "puppy" of it or a wheezydog saintless&fred style "hybrid puppy"?.Keep your portable baby small in its basic form,keep sfs capability. What is the oldest computer config. you intend to run your cnc from ?Is it shareable yet?

Nice to see rt kernel related project in any form from the puppy community .

edited:after rereviewing your post ,i first did misted some parts of it that answered my questions.
Keep posting on progress.
souleau

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:33    Post subject: Re: cnc / inkscape
Subject description: Linuxcnc

brigsy1 wrote:

My thoughts from the brief look up I have had is to try and get Barry's version of inkscape (inklite) and a basic paint program would do all I need and perhaps dillo for the browser.

I would strongly suggest a full version of Inkscape, preferably a version 0.48 or later. Those versions have gcodetools as a builtin extension you see. This would enable you to convert just about any design to g-code from within Inkscape.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Engineering/Science/Simulation
Jump to: