cnc / inkscape

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
brigsy1

cnc / inkscape

#1 Post by brigsy1 »

Hi guys.
I didn't realise I had not been on the forums for so long, my last login was 2011.
Life is short and we all have some living to do.

To the point:
I am building a mobile version of Linux cnc from my working hdd and wish to keep it as small as possible for usb booting, I have the image down to just less than 5G and still working with all the tools I use, (mainly python scripts).
I am using the recommended kernel rt wheezy 2.7 and lxde as desktop.
Until now I have not skimped on the browser and the cad programs so this is my next downsize.

Any recommendations for substitutes of Firefox and Librecad?
I have been away from computer engineering for some time and have a lot of catching up to do.
My thoughts from the brief look up I have had is to try and get Barry's version of inkscape (inklite) and a basic paint program would do all I need and perhaps dillo for the browser.
What are the current best for job with minimal size apps I should go for and how to install them on my system?
I did look at debiandog but lack the knowledge of converting and building (memeory issues after a trauma).

Thanks in advance for any sensible suggestions.

Revolverve

#2 Post by Revolverve »

Hi brigsy1

.............edited......erased.....
Keep posting on progress.
Last edited by Revolverve on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

souleau

Re: cnc / inkscape

#3 Post by souleau »

brigsy1 wrote: My thoughts from the brief look up I have had is to try and get Barry's version of inkscape (inklite) and a basic paint program would do all I need and perhaps dillo for the browser.
I would strongly suggest a full version of Inkscape, preferably a version 0.48 or later. Those versions have gcodetools as a builtin extension you see. This would enable you to convert just about any design to g-code from within Inkscape.