Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Oct 2019, 16:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog-Jessie Extra SFS-Modules
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 18:14    Post subject:  DebianDog-Jessie Extra SFS-Modules
Subject description: Post here about anything related to SFS-load, SFS-create

Post here about everything related to SFS modules for DebianDog-Jessie (2016-10-16 version)

For example:
- questions and issues how to load or create a module
- request a module
- share a module (much appreciated Smile)
- report a bug about an application or about a module not working as expected
- and more... suggestions... ideas...

For a start there's already a SFS repository: Extra modules section (split in categories)
Application sfsget: (download deb package) that can be used to download from above repository, it's very much based on ppack thanks to stu90
Install sfsget with synaptic (first click Reload) or from terminal:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install sfsget

More info:

On Github: SFSget

Wiki pages:
Download with SFSget
How to load SFS-module
How to create SFS-module

And Changes and fixes Info

Make sure to upgrade these packages to latest versions (some bug fixes are done):
* sfsload
* apt2sfs
* portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse
* remasterscripts
Code:
apt-get install <packagename>
or use Synaptic

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 15:50; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 20:07    Post subject:  

*** reserved for additional info or any other ***
backi

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:05    Post subject:  

Fine ! Very Happy
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2016, 05:27    Post subject:  

Wow Very Happy I might actually be able do my first SFS building (and sort of understand it). Along with the remastering being so easy now (that script is just super), I'm tempted to give some SFS creations a go. Thanks, Fred!!
MedionTuner

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2016, 07:33    Post subject: Citrix Receiver
Subject description: .. SFS wishing-list

Hi Fredx181,

in case this is a wish list: There are some users (including me) around in Murga-Linug-Forum, using the Citrix Receiver for conneting to their company networks.

https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-receiver/linux/receiver-for-linux-latest.html
Do you think it makes sense, packing this receiver into a SFS-Module?

Best regards,
Kurt
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2016, 13:21    Post subject:  

MedionTuner wrote:
in case this is a wish list: There are some users (including me) around in Murga-Linug-Forum, using the Citrix Receiver for conneting to their company networks.

https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-receiver/linux/receiver-for-linux-latest.html

Looks like it's for 64 bit only.

Quote:
Do you think it makes sense, packing this receiver into a SFS-Module?

Sorry, no idea, maybe on DebianDog64-Jessie, here are instructions to install:
https://wiki.debian.org/CitrixReceiver#Installing_icaclient_13_on_Jessie
If that works it might be worth trying to make Sfs.

Fred

zagreb999

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec 2016, 04:59    Post subject: unetbootin, pulseaudio  

Thanks Fred,wonderful job...

Can I suggest unetbootin
and pulseaudio as root?

Regards!
MedionTuner

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec 2016, 09:05    Post subject:  

Quote:
If that works it might be worth trying to make Sfs.

Thank you, Fred. I think, I should stay closer to Debian. Maybe like antiX?
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2016, 08:20    Post subject:  

Quote:
pulseaudio as root?

I run Debian with live-boot i.e. similar to puppy frugal boot (originally installed by copying across the /live folder from a Debian LiveCD). I use a save partition which has the main filesystem fully extracted to that (and a empty filesytem.squashfs), so that can also be booted like a full install (or more usually I run it frugal boot style so no changes are preserved across reboots, unless I run the equivalent of a save2flash). I use that same partition for the /live folder and grub4dos (menu.lst ...etc.). I don't run with a swap partition nor swap file, except if doing something big like video editing in which case I create and activate a swap file just for that session. So very much like having everything in a savefile, a empty main filesystem sfs and option to save or not. Takes up more disk space than a typical puppy linux, but disk space is pretty low cost nowadays. I don't ram load everything at bootup, so it just loads into ram what it needs, when needed. Quicker to boot that way, but slower to initially load a program such as libre (but once loaded that tends to stay memory resident and is just as quick to load subsequent times during the same session).

Runs as user rather than root. I added a open as root option to the filemanager (pcmanfm in my case) so anytime I want to browse files as root I just right click a folder and use that option to open up a root filemanager window. For terminal command I just su into root if I have the need. i.e. I've got used to running as user rather than root and hardly notice any difference other than the likes of pulseaudio, vlc ...etc all work as intended. I do have some files/folders sym-linked to the disk layer so that changes are preserved, such as my Osmo calendar/diary. I also have a Docs-Persistent folder sym-linked in a similar manner so the contents of that are preserved across reboots.

Similar in many ways to Debian Dog but without the sfs management scripts. I can still create and load sfs's at bootup, I use /live/filesystem.module file for that i.e. loads the sfs files listed in that file in the order presented in that file at bootup (if no filesystem.module file exists then it loads all .squashfs files in /live folder in alphanumeric sorted order). At least that's the case under the systemD style boot that I use. DebianDog's sfs tools I guess would be useful for booting to create sfs's so that they could be loaded/unloaded dynamically however I personally have no need for that.

The only annoyance is when I forget to edit config files or whatever using root. Filemanager, navigate to a file and open/edit it, sometimes make changes to only realise its not root authority when I come to save the file and have to open a root session and copy/paste across to that before being able to save the file. With my system more or less fully set up the way I like it however those dammit moments are now relative rarity.

I rarely boot the full installed style. Only if a major update is apparent such as kernel upgrades etc.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: