Gparted does not see all of hd (SOLVED: bad MBR)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Billcnz

Gparted does not see all of hd (SOLVED: bad MBR)

#1 Post by Billcnz »

I running Puppy in ram here but Gparted thinks my 40 GB hda drive is just one big fat16. MUT, Pmount and cfdisk all show my partitions correctly:
Attachments
Gparted.jpg
(61.11 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Last edited by Billcnz on Wed 13 Sep 2006, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.

laptopnewbee

#2 Post by laptopnewbee »

Billcnz wrote:I running Puppy in ram here but Gparted thinks my 40 GB hda drive is just one big fat16. MUT, Pmount and cfdisk all show my partitions correctly:
must be something with ether your machine, or your copy of the software, gparted shows my partitions just fine, and did even before i used it to rework everything above hda6.

hope you find a solution soon.
so much to learn, so late a start.

Billcnz

#3 Post by Billcnz »

Yeah I just tried it on another machine and it was OK so I'm not sure what's going on on my laptop but I'll do some more checks and report back.

OK, I'm back. I'm sorry about the false report but this is definately not a 210beta bug but something strange happened to my laptop hard drive. What had me fooled is I've run Gparted in previous versions of Puppy on this laptop before and it's worked fine but now when I try again with an earlier Puppy version it's doing the same as in 210beta and when I try it on other pc's it's fine. I also tried running Gparted from Xubuntu on the laptop and it did the same thing. The Windows partition was pretty fragmented so I did a scandisk and defrag on it but it didn't help Gparted. Strange though that Gparted is reporting the wrong information but fdisk and cfdisk are fine. Also I currently have three OS's installed plus several pup_save file and they're all working fine.

Mods feel free to move or delete this thread.

Billcnz

#4 Post by Billcnz »

Just to close this one off, it turned out the something had corrupted the boot sector (I had grub in the MBR from anaother distro not Puppy so we'll blame that one :lol: ) Anyway I booted into Win98 and did "fdisk /MBR" in a DOS box and then rebooted Puppy off the CD and tested Gparted again and everything looks fine. :D

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

If you have problems partitioning because the MBR or partition table is busted, you can use

Code: Select all

# cfdisk -z
to avoid loading the partition table.

If that doesn't help, then (linux) fdisk is pretty good about telling what's screwy with the partition table.

Billcnz

#6 Post by Billcnz »

Yeah, everything looked OK in cfdisk and fdisk, it was only Gparted and the universal installer that were confused. Fuctionally it just meant I couldn't re-install to the hard drive because the installer saw it as one big partition.

Bill