Quirky SlaQ 8.1.6 x86_64 released

Please post any bugs you have found
Billtoo

Re: Quirky SlaQ 8.1.6 x86_64 released

#16 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I installed to a 16GB SDHC card.
When QuickSetup ran at first bootup, did you tick the box to resize the partition to fill the drive?

It will then do so at next bootup.

I had a lot of trouble with that, it held up the final release. It worked on the Raspberry Pi, however the USB stick for the PC has a GPT (GUUID Partition Table) -- it needs this for booting on UEFI-based PCs.

I had used busybox fdisk, running in Easyinit ramdisk, to resize the partition. However, it can't handle GPT drives.

It used to be that we needed the 'gdisk' utility from the 'gptfdisk' package, for GPT drives, however, now the 'fdisk' in 'util-linux' has acquired GPT functionality.

So I included the full 'fdisk' in Easyinit.

Note, the way that fdisk resizes the partition is weird. It actually deletes it, then creates another, with the same starting sector. This leaves the filesystem intact, which then has to be resized to fill the new bigger partition (using 'resize2fs').

One catch, at the 12th hour, was I found the partition UUID got changed with the recreation of the bigger partition.

You will find this code in /sbin/fscheck in Easyinit. Just click on /boot/easyinit to open it -- same as before with initrd.gz files.
No, when Quicksetup ran at first boot I didn't notice the box to resize the partition to fill the drive.

I've run gparted now and added a new partition, after clicking on FIX the new partition was created.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(75.76 KiB) Downloaded 699 times

Billtoo

Quirky SlaQ 8.1.6 x86_64 released

#17 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new install to a 32GB usb-3.0 flash drive.

I couldn't get the partition to resize so I tried running gparted in
Gecko Linux and that worked.

System: Host: HP-Pavilion Kernel: 4.4.40 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: Quirky 8.1.6 sq142
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: p7-1246s serial: MXX232077R
Mobo: Foxconn model: 2ADA v: 1.00 UEFI: AMI v: 7.12 date: 06/07/2012
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-3550 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/3301 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Device 0152
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
tty size: 185x53 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: RaLink Device 5390 driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2032.4GB (0.8% used)
Weather: Conditions: 41 F (5 C) - light showers rain Time: January 11, 2:47 AM EST
Info: Processes: 140 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 111.5/11973.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.7

I added some applications with QPM and also downloaded and installed
lxrandr-0.3.1-x86_64-1.txz (Fatdog64-710 package) to setup for 2
monitors.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
partview.jpg
(29.46 KiB) Downloaded 663 times

linuxcbon

#18 Post by linuxcbon »

iso is not becoming legacy, it is the most used format for distributions :
https://linuxmint.com/download.php ---> iso
https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst ---> iso
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ---> iso
etc. etc.
For size : I don't have a 8Gb flash stick, my flash stick is only 2Gb.
Iso is easy to install "dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sdb"
Iso can be installed to CD or DVD or flash sticks.
Please Barry also release an iso version. :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote: I am trying really hard with this theme-ing, but, with no ability to install "redshift" on Slacko and make it operational, don't know what I am gonna do short of wearing my sunglasses when trying to use this. But I did draw the line of tolerance at the icons.....ain't no flipping way I am staring at yellows & pinks & hues of red & purple all on a peachy-scarlet-crimson background. (I did leave the paint, draw and trash icons as is in an ode to your Van Gogh attempt here) :wink: Honestly, for a few minutes the background theme was ok. After an hour? I've felt a various range of emotions from either wanting to pop acid, smoke a little weed, or just lay down & wait for whomever in the ward (I must be in some sort of ward if I am staring at this screen colour....it's supposed to calm me down, right??)..just chillin' & waitin for 'em to come get me and take me back to my room.
:lol: I have been looking at it for several days now, seems OK to me!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:I did a new install to a 32GB usb-3.0 flash drive.

Oh, that partition resizing is supposed to work now.

Regarding your earlier comment about adding another partition, an alternative would have been to re-run QuickSetup -- see the Setup menu.

That's if partition resizing is working.

Anyone else tried the partition resizing?

Note, in QuickSetup, I tried to make it un-missable, a red rectange with bold white text, alongside a checkbox offering to resize the partition.

Perhaps I should make it default to "ticked", so even if the user doesn't see the checkbox, it will resize at next bootup.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#21 Post by BarryK »

OK, you have twisted my arm, I will release an ISO.

The reason it was broken in Quirky Xerus 8.1.5, is because the 'init' script in the initrd expected aufs (layered filesystem) support in the kernel.

However, I am not using aufs anymore, instead using overlayfs, which is the officially supported layered filesystem (aufs is a 3rd party patch).

So, I anticipate fixing the live-CD, for both SlaQ and Xerus.

So, expect an Xerus x86_64 8.1.6 soon, also with live-CD.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#22 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:

Regarding your earlier comment about adding another partition, an alternative would have been to re-run QuickSetup -- see the Setup menu.

After ticking the checkbox to resize the partition, at next bootup you will see a whole lot of text on the screen as it attempts to do the resize.

If you see a message, when it runs 'resize2fs', something like "cannot resize, already maximum size", that means the resizing of the partition failed beforehand.

Let me know if you see a message like that, or any other message that might give a clue what went wrong.

belham2

#23 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote: I am trying really hard with this theme-ing, but, with no ability to install "redshift" on Slacko and make it operational, don't know what I am gonna do short of wearing my sunglasses when trying to use this. But I did draw the line of tolerance at the icons.....ain't no flipping way I am staring at yellows & pinks & hues of red & purple all on a peachy-scarlet-crimson background. (I did leave the paint, draw and trash icons as is in an ode to your Van Gogh attempt here) :wink: Honestly, for a few minutes the background theme was ok. After an hour? I've felt a various range of emotions from either wanting to pop acid, smoke a little weed, or just lay down & wait for whomever in the ward (I must be in some sort of ward if I am staring at this screen colour....it's supposed to calm me down, right??)..just chillin' & waitin for 'em to come get me and take me back to my room.
:lol: I have been looking at it for several days now, seems OK to me!

BarryK, could I ask just a general, personal question: have you ever heard of redshift? Ever personally used it? Or seen the number of threads (there's over 10 that I am aware of during the past few years) on murga from people requesting it?

Redshift ran beautifully in the previous Quirkys, but that was the ubuntu/debian ecosystem. Now that we are on to slackware, redshift is not available (at least in a working package that is specific for pup-slack-based OSes based on slack). As slackware ecosystem is maybe still too populated by youngsters who have not need of any old eye protection from glare & strain, is it possible redshift could be included as "standard" part of any future Quirky and/or creation that you develop?

Redshift's creator is right here: http://jonls.dk/redshift/

He offered a slackbuild package packages from 13.37 up through 14.1 at https://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.3 ... /redshift/

(plus here's his latest 14.2 build & packages0
http://slackware.uk/people/alphageek/sl ... /redshift/

What's strange is I can get these redshift packages to easily install & work in a full install of Slackware, yet in Micko's (& Peebee's) slacko-builds here on murga, and now your new Slaq-Quirky, redshift just refuses to run. This is true across many different machines, and also tested out of home. Redshift will not work on pups that are slack-based, yet works in a full-install of Slackware. Why would that be??

Is there any possibility it could someday, in the future? Possibly have Redshift come as a standard part of any pup OS that is frugalled and/or installed, (based on whatever underlying OS is used)? Personally, for me, not having Redshift (a simple app that uses "randr" to adjust thermal and brightness and gamma of your monitor(s) ) is a deal-killer and is why I am forced to still stick with Quirky's 8.0 thru 8.15.

Thank you for any consideration of this. I honestly feel, based on others' threads here on murga, that I am not alone in this regard concerning redshift. And thank you again for a wonderful new Quirky edition.

[UPDATE: Solved! :D :D ]
I kept fooling around with this, wondering what was going on, and it turns out there is a sneaky, missing lib that is needed to make the above Redshift package work in slack-based pup OSes. The lib that is needed is this:

libgconf-2.so.4

This lib is not in any Slackware repository. But what IS in Slackware repositorys (that the PPM accesses) is this:

GConf-3.26 & its polkit0.113 dependency

The needed libgconf-2.so.4 is inside GConf-3.26, so I just used PPM in Quirky, searched for GConf-3.26, chose it for install + the dependency that PPM brought, and Redshift is now working in Barry's new Slaq Quirky! Woooooohooooooooo :D Man, between building my own Fatdog the other day (and spending hours going through the dependencies when I was removing and/or adding stuff, and now trying to find where this libgconf-2.so.4 was/is located, I am getting just a very small inkling or hint what you developers must go through when making pups. AND you guys are writing code for a lot of stuff!! Holy mackeral, how do you guys do it??? Even with these libs alone, the darn things are snaking in every direction into many diff programs, apps and so forth....arrrggggh :evil:

Anyhow, hope this helps anyone out there......I'm going to test it in Mickos & Peebee's slacko creations to see if it works the same as Barry's.

Here's what my new themed (I created usig the GTK and JWN theme makers) plus new, Stately background and redshift, all look like:
Attachments
slaqquirky4.png
(248.01 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Last edited by belham2 on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 12:55, edited 4 times in total.

linuxcbon

#24 Post by linuxcbon »

BarryK wrote:OK, you have twisted my arm, I will release an ISO.

The reason it was broken in Quirky Xerus 8.1.5, is because the 'init' script in the initrd expected aufs (layered filesystem) support in the kernel.

However, I am not using aufs anymore, instead using overlayfs, which is the officially supported layered filesystem (aufs is a 3rd party patch).

Wonderful news :)
A lot more people will then be able to use it.
I am excited to test it and find many bugs.
Thanks Barry :)

Billtoo

#25 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:

Note, in QuickSetup, I tried to make it un-missable, a red rectange with bold white text, alongside a checkbox offering to resize the partition.

Perhaps I should make it default to "ticked", so even if the user doesn't see the checkbox, it will resize at next bootup.
Here's what the Quicksetup menu looks like, I don't see anything about
resizing, is this the wrong menu?

I shut down after 1st bootup and ran Gecko Linux which is installed on
the hard drive, ran gparted and resized the partition, shut down again
and booted slaQ from the flash drive.
Attachments
Quicksetup.jpg
(85.47 KiB) Downloaded 530 times

prehistoric

#26 Post by prehistoric »

Just ran a check with SlaQ 8.1.6 on a 32 GB flash drive to confirm Billtoo's report. The original image size did not change, and there is no check box on Quick Setup for expanding the filesystem to fill the drive. Can also confirm that this does work on Quirky 8.1.4 on the Raspberry Pi.

Added: when I wanted to run a completely new initial set-up habit caused me to reboot with Quirky pfix=ram, which does not do this. If I were using an actual savefile, I would simply delete this, but at this point I'm non-plussed about how to go back to a clean install without recreating the installation system on the drive.

TeX Dog

#27 Post by TeX Dog »

BarryK wrote:OK, you have twisted my arm, I will release an ISO.

Yea! :mrgreen: looking forward to these releases in iso format. Prepping expensive flashdrives are wasting time and money. plus its hard to label those tiny things. :wink:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#28 Post by BarryK »

Here is the ISO (304MB):

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... -amd64.iso

md5sum:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... d5sums.txt

There is a bug: even after saving a session, it keeps on coming up with the "Welcome 1st boot" window at every bootup.
Loads the saved session OK though.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#29 Post by BarryK »

Hmmm, very odd. This is what my QuickSetup window looks like:
Attachments
quicksetup.png
(32.82 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#30 Post by BarryK »

Oh, I forget what size the image has to be, to display. Try again:
Attachments
quicksetup2.png
(42.46 KiB) Downloaded 494 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

So, why don't you get that offer to increase the partition size? It has works consistently for me, on both laptops and different sticks.

Would you mind trying this, in a terminal:

Set variable PDRV to the drive (Flash stick) you are running SlaQ on, for example "sdc", and PDEV1 to the partition:

Code: Select all

# PDRV=sdc
# PDEV1=sdc2
I have pulled this code out of /usr/sbin/quicksetup:

Code: Select all

# START_PDEV1="$(cat /sys/block/${PDRV}/${PDEV1}/start)"
# SIZE_PDEV1="$(cat /sys/block/${PDRV}/${PDEV1}/size)"
# START_BEYONDS="`expr $START_PDEV1 + $SIZE_PDEV1`"
# DISK_INFO="$(sfdisk -F /dev/$PDRV)"
# SIZE_BEYONDS="$(echo "$DISK_INFO" | sed -e 's%^ *%%' | grep "^${START_BEYONDS} " | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 3 -d ' ')"
The variable SIZE_BEYONDS should be the number of sectors unused in the drive.
You can check each step as you do it, just use 'echo' to view the result.

TeX Dog

#32 Post by TeX Dog »

Booted ISO with raft of errors (hwclock again) unable to remove/move /var/local etc. boot messages.
JWM or X windows not drawing or refreshing normally! text and graphics wrong or mostly missing. Took a snapshot but can't find it (dialogs for paint not readable, same issues as the snapshot showed) switching blindly between 3 desktop seems to correct for some time.
DVD multi-sessions did not take place automagically, do not know how to force it. missing YT-download <a favorite from QuirkyXeres on RaspberryPi> BTW whatever happened to T2 version for Pi? and bluetooth support.
Thanks for the ISO and hope for a QuirkyXeres version?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#33 Post by BarryK »

TeX Dog wrote:Booted ISO with raft of errors (hwclock again) unable to remove/move /var/local etc. boot messages.
JWM or X windows not drawing or refreshing normally! text and graphics wrong or mostly missing. Took a snapshot but can't find it (dialogs for paint not readable, same issues as the snapshot showed) switching blindly between 3 desktop seems to correct for some time.
DVD multi-sessions did not take place automagically, do not know how to force it. missing YT-download <a favorite from QuirkyXeres on RaspberryPi> BTW whatever happened to T2 version for Pi? and bluetooth support.
Thanks for the ISO and hope for a QuirkyXeres version?
There are some error messages at bootup, minor, non-fatal.

The desktop windows/graphics looked ok to me.

Quirky is really intended for full installation, that is where you use the snapshot feature. I probably should remove it from the menu when running from live-CD -- but then, I never intended to offer a live-CD, and still intend to phase it out.

DVD multisession does not work on laptop optical drives. As the majority of computers being sold these days are (probably) laptops, there isn't much motive for supporting multisession.

Unless by "multisession" you just mean saving of the sessions to hard drive. That is different. And yes, different from Puppy -- there is an icon on the desktop labeled "save", click that, it then has a checkbox to ask at every shutdown.

Me too, I only have two laptops. The old desktop towers got given away.

Bluetooth support is still there, just no tray icon. But you can bring the tray icon back -- set the executable flags in /root/Startup/bluepup_tray then restart X.

I am investigating the new puppyBT, hence put my BluePup on the back-burner for now.

T2 for Pi? How many hours are there in the day? I do have a life, apart from Quirky development. I will get back to the Pi sometime.

belham2

#34 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
T2 for Pi? How many hours are there in the day? I do have a life, apart from Quirky development. I will get back to the Pi sometime.

LOL! Awwe, come on, Barry, we don't ask too much of you here. Only your heart, soul, mind, arms, legs, fingers et al to be at our beck & call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 365 a year :D

Me thinking after this Quirky 8.1.6 Slaq release, it's time to start planning for like outdoor trips and hiking again....and let the slaq-ing and pi-ing come in a different form.

P.S. Gave me youngest daughter, for her laptop, a USB-SD card loaded with Slaq & the complete 'peachy red' theme (no changes by me), and she thus proclaimed it "the prettiest thing I've ever seen, Dad!". Haha, go figure! :lol:

Rodney Byne

A few more bugs to report

#35 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi Barry,

A nice "peachy" distro but some more observations to add to the list.

An odd thing happens to the bottom task tray if you do this:
In JWM Configuration Manager - Tray management
Don't press anything in Iconify or Verbose in Pager, otherwise
the task tray will suddenly shrink in length to about 3 inches,
over to the far left next to the Menu button.
I had to re-install SlaQ to usb again because I didn't know
how to recover the tray.

In Multimedia:
Xine doesn't play DVDs, it says "The source can't be read...."
It should play the DVD on insertion of the sr0 tray.

Pavrecord doesn't fully launch with the web camera on.

pEqualiser doesn't launch at all.

I guess Upgrade Manager will be getting busy fairly soon.

Best regards.