Wireless card not detected...?

Booting, installing, newbie
giiba

Wireless card not detected...?

#1 Post by giiba »

So I am relatively new to linux, meaning I only just purchased "Linux for Dummies" in the hopes of learning linux. I am intrigued about the idea of an in-RAM operating system and what it could do for battery life on my laptop.

I am using a Panasonic CF-w2 laptop with a first generation Centrino board (855GM, ipw2100, 512Mb, 900mhz, etc...). I've been using Kanotix out-of-the-box with wireless for the last 6 months, so I know the wireless is working and I know linux can use it. However puppy does not seem to detect my card...

iwconfig (kanotix)
lo0 -------- no wireless extensitons
lan0 ------- no wireless extensitons
wireless0 - random conection data

iwconfig (puppy)
lo0 --- no wireless extensitons
eth0 - no wireless extensitons

btw, I'm trying to install officepuppy 2.03ce

when I run Rutilt (sp?) I'm told that there is no wireless devices present. what gives? My experience more than runs out at this point, any help would be greatly apreciated.

odd side note: when I tried puppy 1.09ce WAG works and finds a wireless device (even says that it is operational) but I cannot connect through it. iwconfig lists two devices, neither which have wireless abilities... a mystery to me

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

There is a "wireless network wizard" under the menu "setup".

Try this, and ask if troubles.

RPM

#3 Post by RPM »

Newbie to newbie, try this first before jumping through hoops. Download mean-puppy 2.02 -opera. If the wireless wizzard says good found your card, your in business, a quick RutilT Wireless Gaget setup and your on-line, else the experts will get you going. This is the only puppy I've found easy to set up with wireless.

http://www.my-plan.org/storage/puppyLinux

not listed on download page.

Bob

giiba

#4 Post by giiba »

The "wireless network wizard" doesn't really help. I cannot use the Ndiswrapper as I do not have windows on mycomputer, and intel doesn't offer a download of the driver binary (only a .exe file, the rotten buggers). So the only option, WAG, just gives me the "WAG is not configured... blah blah blah..." and stops responding.

As for mean puppy, I've tried it but imediatly after posting this I will boot it up again and see if I have luck a second time...

arrrgh, if only I could get wireless working, I could install puppy and configure it... if only Kanotix hadn't been so bloody stable. I think I only rebooted 3-4 times in 6 months... XP doesn't last nearly that long.

edit:
no, mean puppy doesn't work. Rutilt just gives me an error message that no wireless card is detected, and that I must load the drivers first. Could I be missing something? I modprobe ipw2100 and there are no errors. Does anyone know how I turn the wireless card on/off?
Last edited by giiba on Wed 13 Sep 2006, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

RPM

#5 Post by RPM »

Well, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I usually take that version of mean-puppy with me to show people you can setup wireless from puppy from Live-CD. It's the only puppy version that I can do that from. If you watch the boot process, almost all versions of puppy finds your wireless card but WAG will say didn't see anything use ndiswrapper. Choose Run_RutilT and If mean puppy 2.02-opera says "GOOD, you have......" then it sees your card and has a driver inside of puppy ready to go. You will see a wirless icon on bottom go to site survey and connect. Decide if you want DHCP. Minimize don't close RutilT and open Opera. You may have to "play" with it a bit.

The puppy pro's should be waking up shortly.

good luck and goodnight,
Bob

giiba

#6 Post by giiba »

I'm thinking I should try installing the drivers from Intel. I've downloaded the .tar but the process I know of to install things doesn't work in puppy... if I even have it right.

make
make install
modprobe xx [driver]

What is the process in puppy? I have the devx_202.sfs file... but forget where to put it... oops

giiba

sry, deleted duplicate posting

#7 Post by giiba »

duplicate posting

zigbert

#8 Post by zigbert »

This linuxdriver for your card works for Puppy 2.00 and 2.01:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers- ... -1.2.0.pup
README is found in /root/my-applications after installation.

For Puppy 2.03 CE. Here is 2 solutions WITH ndiswrapper:
1. Go to the man next door, ask him to exract your exe-file, and save the *.cat *.inf and *.sys files. then your ready with ndiswrapper.
2. You can probably run the exe file via wine. (I've done this earlier for my card)

Good luck

giiba

#9 Post by giiba »

Thank you for pointing the obvious out to me Zigbert... with a litte bit of arm twisting I was able to secure use of my girlfriends computer (winXP) and extract the bits I needed. Now using ndiswrapper I have drivers loaded and working, hoorah!

However, I cannot get an IP address on my network?!? everything seems to work, I can even scan for networks and see what is around... I just cannot get an IP address from any routers (including my own). Unfortunatly neither WAG (fixed version) nor Rutilt help me out here. When I click "toggle DHCP" in WAG it crashes, and Rutilt seems to have no means of actually adjusting IP settings.

Any suggestions? How do I renew my IP address in Linux?

zigbert

#10 Post by zigbert »

I use this command to get my IP:

Code: Select all

dhcpcd -t 5 -h puppypc -d wlan0
The settings differs from driver to driver, and ipw uses the eth0 instead of wlan0. The important for you is to delete the pid-file when you want a new IP. When you installed your drivers, you also installed a connect-script:

/root/my-applications/bin/ipw2100-connect

Try run, and maybe edit. It contains good explanations.

giiba

#11 Post by giiba »

Yeah, still no luck... dhcpcd doesn't seem to work. I'm now doing everything manually as I've found Rutilt and WAG to be problematic. I can set an IP address manualy but my router does not seem to know about it (I access the router from a second computer but the laptop is never in the DHCP clients list).

Current info: loading intel pro wireless 2100 driver (from intel) with ndiswrapper -- everything seems to go fine. wlan0 apperas and can be configured with iwconfig. I can manually connect to my network via scaning or entering the information... everything seems fine, but never an ip address, and the browses give a "dns could not be solved" error.

I only have three leads right now (from iwconfig ifconfig lsmod and modprobe):

1) link quality is reported as 0/100
2) dhcpcd doesn't aquire a IP regardless of what options I've tried (and I've scoured the forums a bit, trying anythiing and everything)
3) puppy loads the ipw2200 driver on a clean boot... but I am positive the hardware is the ipw2100 (if I modprobe ipw2100 it loads the module just fine but the results are no different than with ipw2200, ie no device is created)... maybe I need to unload some modules??

how come it can scan and find networks, even associate with the essid, but never get a dhcp ip address? Arrgh! I've been at this for 4 hours today... I'm going cross-eyed :-( lol

zigbert

#12 Post by zigbert »

I'm afraid I do not have the required skills here. But if you got your link quality of 0/100 from WAG, I wouldn't be too disappointed. I have the same quality and still have a perfect line. About the ipw2200 there is one thing...Do I understand it right, that after reboot there is a ipw2200 module????? It sounds strange to me, because after what I know, Puppy doesn't have any preconfigured wireless.

giiba

#13 Post by giiba »

Puppy has some sort of wireless built in... I do not know what as it doesn't work. But after booting fresh puppy has an ipw2200 module loaded (which is the wrong one), and I can unload it and load an ipw2100 module which still doesn't work...

I'm terribly confused and discouraged... linux is a bit of a mess it seems

giiba

SUCCES!!

#14 Post by giiba »

I'm writing this from my laptop using puppy and the Intel Pro Wireless 2100. Hoorah!

Here's the scoop:

Puppylinux includes drivers for the ipw2100 but it does not include the firmware. The firmware can be found at
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php [get version 1.3]
this gets installed to /lib/firmware (must be created)

However Puppy has an incomplete hotplug system, so the firmware does not load. The fix for this can be found at
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... cb3ec96da7
extract the files and put them in their places; /etc and /sbin -- see tar file stucture.

Then simply:
mobprobe ipw2100

then eth1 is created and using the internet configuration wizard (click "connect to the internet by wired ethernet interface" as WAG is broken) and voila! I'm writing this to you all.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to put up a wiki page regarding the ipw2100 and ipw2200 (I assume it will be the same for both). Thanks for putting up with my ranting.

The last thing is, is this the case for most wireless cards? if so it should get mentioned somewhere, as I'm assuming the firmware is not included in the interest of saving space.