Fingerprints Why I'm always awful

For discussions about security.
cthisbear

Fingerprints Why I'm always awful

#1 Post by cthisbear »

Fingerprints Why I'm always awful.
No peace signs from me mate.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/techno ... tss3e.html

" Japanese researchers say they have successfully copied fingerprint data from a digital picture of a person flashing a two-fingered "V" or peace sign, raising questions about the potential theft of such information."

Chris.

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

I was always wondering why the two-fingered "V" overall is interpreted as the "peace sign", since it truly stands for "Victory". Must be some sort of redefinition of a true meaning like the "Hacker". When they are talking in the news or elsewhere about Hackers and its crimes I switch immediately to another channel. Got also some heavily discussions with people about the term, Hacker. They just don't want to get and/or use it the right way (poor, stupid contaminated-by-media people).

However, I already thought about another issue like scanning the eye's Iris to get access to high classified locations and/or information just by a photograph of an eye's Iris.

What ever mankind is inventing and what ever intention is behind such invention, there's always an A..e coming up, using it for crime! :evil:

By the way, I got a very funny story about the true peace sign to tell (you know, the sign with the circle with those lines in it). A young girl from and in Germany went to a so-called Peace Demonstration, believing she'd painted this peace sign on her cheeks. The funny and very much to laugh about part was: instead of that true peace sign she painted the Logo (the Star) of Daimler Benz on her cheeks. :D :lol:

Some sort of swarm intelligence?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

The so-called "Peace Sign" can be so easily misinterpreted. Expressed with two fingers raised and finger-pads showing outward towards the world, it is 'Victory'. However, with those two fingers rotated around the vertical axis so the finger-pads are facing the person expressing the symbol, it means to those who see it, 'go-forth and fornicate with yourself'. :shock: So, please, be very, very careful how one expresses the desire for Peace! :wink: Interpretation is everything! :oops:
The origin of the less than appropriate sign is probably lost in the mists of time. There is one story that does sound about right. During the Hundred Years War, when Britain was out (once again) having a scrap with our pre-Brexit neighbours, the English longbowmen were a scourge to the other side, sending a hail of arrows into the advancing forces. So, if the bowmen were captured by the opposition their two fingers were cut off the right hand preventing any way of drawing a string, and loosing an arrow. A satisfactory way of preventing any more arguments! The derogatory gesture was supposed to have been made by those bowmen who could still nock an arrow and let-fly at the enemy forces. Standing with two fingers raised in a 'salute' to those who would soon fall to a loosed arrow. "We still got our fingers...!"
Pulling back on a 50 lb bow is hard enough, but some of those yew bows were designed to pull 125 lb - and more. The actor Robert Hardy (All Creatures Great & Small) is an expert on the English Longbow.

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

" However, I already thought about another issue like scanning the
eye's Iris to get access to high classified locations and/or information
just by a photograph of an eye's Iris. "

"""""""""""""

Yes I thought of that after I posted.

We are all doomed.
Lucky they can't copy my magnetic personality.

Chris.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

When all is said and done, the only secure method is password based - until someone manages to copy brainwaves sucessfully.
All bio based systems are open to hacking - in the original meaning of it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett