.pet fixes problems caused by same package in many repos

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mavrothal

#1 Post by mavrothal »

Although an old bug it was recently reported by Billtoo in LxPupSc and discussed (and mended) extensively in woof-CE. When a package is (inappropriately) present in more that 1 repository PPM has trouble to handle it.
The attach pet addresses this issue but as usually needs more testing before getting in woof (and all puppies).

So if you have noticed cases like these in your puppies, where after a search for a package you get 2 or more identical packages from different repos, or if you just want to test it in everyday use, install this pet and report success or failure.

If you run an older puppy (precise, slako-5.3) you will also need libstardust

Edit: Version 2 takes care of dependencies present in multiple databases so they will not be downloaded twice.
Version "2_plus" integrates "2" with the changes from here
Attachments
PPM_multi_repos-2_plus.pet
Modified PPM to handle the presence of the same file in multiple repos and remove pets more efficiently.
(24.61 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
PPM_multi_repos-2.pet
Modified PPM to handle the presence of the same file in multiple repos
(19.79 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

slavvo67

#2 Post by slavvo67 »

To be sure, is this for PPM or PPM2? Not sure what it'll do to Quirky's PPM but I plan to test it.

Thanks Mav!

Billtoo

#3 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new manual frugal install to a 32GB MicroSD card:

System: Host: Acer-i3 Kernel: 4.9.3-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
Distro: LxPup-Sc 17.01.24
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: Acer model: Aspire X3950 serial: U02C120500059
BIOS: American Megatrends v: P01-A3 date: 05/05/2010
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 540 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1200/3067 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
tty size: 123x34 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 532.0GB (0.8% used)
Weather: Conditions: 36 F (2 C) - Overcast Time: January 18, 9:40 PM EST
Info: Processes: 204 Uptime: 1:13 Memory: 243.3/5933.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

I installed your PPM_multi_repos-1.pet and then started PPM and updated
it.
I downloaded all my usual stuff, kpat,kiriki,kshisen,dbusmenu, and
xine-ui.
It worked fine and no duplicate file downloads,
Thanks.

I did the same thing with peebee's latest earlier today,17.01.25 and it failed badly whether I updated the PPM or not, it misses more dependencies than it finds.

mavrothal

Re: .pet fixes problems caused by same package in many repos

#4 Post by mavrothal »

slavvo67 wrote:To be sure, is this for PPM or PPM2? Not sure what it'll do to Quirky's PPM but I plan to test it.!
Is PPM2. BK's Quirky 6.x-8.x has a modified version of the original puppy PPM and will most likely fail.
Billtoo wrote:I did the same thing with peebee's latest earlier today,17.01.25 and it failed badly whether I updated the PPM or not, it misses more dependencies than it finds.
So with LxPupSC-17.01.24 works fine and LxPupSC-17.01.25 it does not?
That is strange as almost all my testing was done with LxPupSC-17.01.25. Updated DBs and did fvwm, curtain and kpat and mostly works :?
What do you see? Does it fails to find what is needed or fails to download the needed ones? (You can see what is needed by clicking on the progress bar after you select the package of interest.)
Any specific cases to test?
Also, do you select the package to install after searching for it or you navigate to the package? I do not see any difference with that, but still.Somehow 17.01.25 defaults to slackware-extra instead of sklackware-14.2, but is not a problem in my testing too.

One think I noticed is that is painfully slow to find and download packages (5-10K/s). But I'm not sure if this is because of network issues the changes in the repo handling, the above pet or something else. As I said it still manages to get the job done (slowly). If there is an unstable internet connection big packages like mariadb, ffwt, rasqal or qt that take 20+ min to download at my end (!) fail quite often. This might be related to the wget, the wifi infrastructure, the server rejecting slow/multiple connections or something else not directly related to PPM.
If indeed, say kpat, installs fine in 17.01.24 but not in 17.01.25, then we should probably look for issues elsewhere. Maybe peebee can tell on other differences between 24 and 25.

Latter: Updated to version 2. See first post
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Billtoo

#5 Post by Billtoo »

mavrothal wrote: So with LxPupSC-17.01.24 works fine and LxPupSC-17.01.25 it does not?
That is strange as almost all my testing was done with LxPupSC-17.01.25. Updated DBs and did fvwm, curtain and kpat and mostly works :?
What do you see? Does it fails to find what is needed or fails to download the needed ones? (You can see what is needed by clicking on the progress bar after you select the package of interest.)
Any specific cases to test?
Also, do you select the package to install after searching for it or you navigate to the package? I do not see any difference with that, but still.Somehow 17.01.25 defaults to slackware-extra instead of sklackware-14.2, but is not a problem in my testing too.
Yes, it works fine in 17.01.24 and not in 17.01.25.
I enter kpat and click on it, then it takes some time to calculate the number of dependencies, then I click on do it,
dbusmenu is always missed so I enter dbusmenu and when its ready do it.

I've tried with 17.01.25 several times and it fails, when the screen showing what's been installed pops up there might be 10 files installed and 22 not.

I also get an error when I open the terminal in 17.01.25 but only when the devx is loaded, something about bash envir not found.

Anyway, I'll give your new pet a try and do a fresh (for the third time) download and install and see how it goes.

mavrothal

#6 Post by mavrothal »

Billtoo wrote: Yes, it works fine in 17.01.24 and not in 17.01.25.
Just to make sure that I have not done something more without realising it, i just booted 17.01.25, installed the version 2 of the pet above, updated the database (auto mode) and installed kpat. The image below shows the outcome.

As mentioned above I can not recall failing on a fast connection but on a slow ones I had problems with partial downloads of large packages. How is you connection?
Attachments
ppm.png
(192.46 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

Billtoo

#7 Post by Billtoo »

mavrothal wrote: As mentioned above I can not recall failing on a fast connection but on a slow ones I had problems with partial downloads of large packages. How is you connection?
I have a cable connection and it's really fast, compared to my old dsl connection.
250mb download in a couple of minutes.

I only installed the larger pet, so far have 3 errors, updated ppm after 1st error.
I will install both pets and try again.

EDIT: I installed the second pet and started again, when kpat finished the screen popped up showing what was installed and what is missing.
There was an overall_install_report which I copied to geany and will attach to this post, needs to be renamed removing the .gz
Attachments
overall_install_report.txt.gz
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Screenshot.jpg
(49.39 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Screenshot2.jpg
(32.58 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Screenshot3.jpg
(19.13 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

mavrothal

#8 Post by mavrothal »

Billtoo wrote:I installed the second pet and started again, when kpat finished the screen popped up showing what was installed and what is missing.
There was an overall_install_report which I copied to geany and will attach to this post, needs to be renamed removing the .gz
So your report shows that all packages have been downloaded, but shows too many missing libs. Is kpat works OK? Are there any other issues?

I have seen the errors in the images occasionally. Usually is OK if you re-download.

I think that what is really happening in "25" is that more mirrors have been added but not all are good or complete. There the mirror that has the wrong size for mariadb, there is another mirror that has the packages in pages (!) so if the package is not in the first page can not be found. Then there is the original mirror that is painfully slow (for me) drops you out, seemingly randomly :roll:
So depending on which mirror your get you may have or not errors.
Mirrors may need to be vented a bit...

In "24" you had most of the dependencies double and having a second take in downloading them, you had a better chance to get the job done.

Billtoo

#9 Post by Billtoo »

mavrothal wrote: Mirrors may need to be vented a bit...
Is there any way that there can be only one repo, the slackware site in utah (I think).
In slackware-14.2 you have to set the mirror for slackpkg and there can only be 1 chosen.
I choose the university of waterloo site in Canada.

mavrothal

#10 Post by mavrothal »

Billtoo wrote:
mavrothal wrote: Mirrors may need to be vented a bit...
Is there any way that there can be only one repo, the slackware site in utah (I think).
In slackware-14.2 you have to set the mirror for slackpkg and there can only be 1 chosen.
I choose the university of waterloo site in Canada.
You can edit /root/.packages/DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS.
The PKG_DOCS_DISTRO_COMPAT list in there is where to get the available packages and the REPOS_DISTRO_COMPAT list the actual package repositories.
Currently (in 25) ftp://ftp.nluug.nl appears to be set as the primary site

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Thanks for this, mavrothal.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Billtoo

#12 Post by Billtoo »

After fighting this for a while longer I'm going to stick with 17.01.24 which is working great for me.
I tried just downloading from the slackware repo and I thought it was going to work but in the end it didn't.

17.01.24 is awesome though :)
Attachments
17.01.24.jpg
(54.35 KiB) Downloaded 235 times