XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

#16 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote: What didn't work then? Details please!

Fred
Hi Fred,

Most everything is running good here, except for some minor stuff I've encountered (I've still a lot to test, want to do a remaster and also use some of other sfs scripts).

So far, here are the few that are confusing me, some easily solved, others not so sure:

1) in /root/tint2launchers, when you add Htop (by copying it) from the /usr/share/applications folder, and then restart tint2panel, it appears, but it will not launch from the tint2panel. Yet, weirdly, it launches fine from its menu setting and also from the /usr/share/applications folder. Brings up the question then: should I not be adding things directly to the 'tint2launcher' (going through Rox) and instead be using some menu for it somewhere? I deleted and added other things this way on the tint2panel, and all was fine with them. {EDIT: add "htop" to this list; you can copy & put inside 'tint2launcher', it will run 1st time, but if you "re-start tint2' via desktop right-click, htop will no longer open when clicking on the tintpanel you put it in.]

2) Gparted in /usr/share/applications needs a small tweak to its .desktop file. It currently has: "Exec=gparted-pkexec". Would not work if dragged to desktop and/or placed in tint2launcher. Change it to: "Exec=gparted %f", and Gparted works everywhere.

3) I notice on some menus that either GTK Dialog (or is it YAD dialog??) is not allowing for normal functioning of the app's menu: For example, like dragging columns back and forth by re-sizing them. Open Synaptic, and try to adjust the columns width, you'll see what I mean. This is also is appearing in other apps menus. Is or was this by design? Not a major thing to me, just never remember it happening before in previous XenialDog

4) This last one might be my own stupidity, I don't know: I launched the Cairo minimal dock, but then could not get rid of the tint2panels. How is one supposed to ask or set them not to run? I can't turn off them off "selectively" in Openbox configuration, can I? Also, maybe related, but once Cairo is up and running, and you right-click it to stop it, nothing happens. It just keeps running and doesn't go away from the desktop...and tint2panels start appearing, with both Cairo & tint2 panels locked on the desktop with no ability to remove either.

Lastly, wanted to ask separate questions:

1st) Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use? I know UFW, Firewalld, Shorewall, NUFW, and UFW are available, along with iptables, from Synpatic, but they take up a large amount of room. Just downloading UFW alone is a ~25MB download that takes up ~79MB of space. Wanted to check if something is included first, or if you know of something with a small footprint (like Bob's Firewall in the pups)

2nd) I notice in "MENU",---"OTHER", there is an entry for "Clear Changes at Reboot". Not to sound or be stupid or anything, but exactly what does this mean and what does it do? For example, if I've made a bunch of changes, and want to go back to the original settings (as it was the day before), do I just hit this button and it magically happens?? This would be great, especially for those of us that use Porteus boot where it saves on exit. But I've a feeling I am misunderstanding this, and hoping for too much :oops:

P.S. When I booted up today, everything had saved from yesterday...woohooo :D So the save occurred like you said. No reason for me to download the new ISO now...unless you forgot some other major thing (haha, just j/k-ing ya!) :wink:

fredx181

#17 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

Thanks for the extensive testing!
1) in /root/tint2launchers, when you add Htop (by copying it) from the /usr/share/applications folder, and then restart tint2panel, it appears, but it will not launch from the tint2panel.
Yes, apparently the "Terminal=true" line in a .desktop file doesn't work from tint2 panel, you can fix by changing Exec= line to:

Code: Select all

Exec=xterm -e htop
2) Gparted in /usr/share/applications needs a small tweak to its .desktop file. It currently has: "Exec=gparted-pkexec"...
Yes, that is how it is installed by default, from the menu it runs fine though (tweaked to make it work)
For example, like dragging columns back and forth by re-sizing them. Open Synaptic, and try to adjust the columns width, you'll see what I mean......
I guess you mean that it's difficult to adjust the columns width in Synaptic, I think it's a new gtk3 thing, don't like it either.
I don't know: I launched the Cairo minimal dock, but then could not get rid of the tint2panels.....
You ran cairo-dock from the menu or from /usr/share/applications ?

Try "Desktop Manager" at the top of the menu to choose different desktop modes, including cairo-dock.

and you right-click it to stop it, nothing happens
It doesn't show a popup where you can choose to quit ? (as you see on attached screenshot) click the green "V" then.
1st) Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use? I know UFW, Firewalld, Shorewall, NUFW, and UFW are available, along with iptables, from Synpatic,....
Don't know, on DebianDog we had Puppy firewall package, not sure if it works on XD64.
2nd) I notice in "MENU",---"OTHER", there is an entry for "Clear Changes at Reboot". Not to sound or be stupid or anything, but exactly what does this mean and what does it do?
It clears all changes, not immediately, at next reboot, just easy way to start fresh.
BTW, Quick-remaster does that also (well there's choice also to make backup of the changes), I can recommend using it (Quick-remaster GUI), when using LZ4 compression it can be done in less than 10 seconds !! :D
So the save occurred like you said. No reason for me to download the new ISO now.
Yes, well, if you plan to always use save to folder only, it's OK.

EDIT:
One more time about memory usage report difference from Htop and free (last time, promised :) :

As Flying Cat explained here (about physical RAM usage):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 413#933413
When porteus-boot option EXIT: is used (only then), Htop can report excessive RAM usage, (in my opinion misleading BTW), because it counts also "physical RAM usage" e.g. firefox cache, installed programs, all that's added in tmpfs
I configured Conky to use the more 'normal' output from "free -m"

Fred
Attachments
xendog-20170119161955.jpg
cairo-dock quit ?
(3.64 KiB) Downloaded 1055 times

belham2

#18 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
You ran cairo-dock from the menu or from /usr/share/applications ?

Try "Desktop Manager" at the top of the menu to choose different desktop modes, including cairo-dock.

and
2nd) I notice in "MENU",---"OTHER", there is an entry for "Clear Changes at Reboot". Not to sound or be stupid or anything, but exactly what does this mean and what does it do?
It clears all changes, not immediately, at next reboot, just easy way to start fresh.
BTW, Quick-remaster does that also (well there's choice also to make backup of the changes), I can recommend using it (Quick-remaster GUI), when using LZ4 compression it can be done in less than 10 seconds !! :D
So the save occurred like you said. No reason for me to download the new ISO now.
and

Yes, well, if you plan to always use save to folder only, it's OK.

Fred

Thank you, Fred!

And I told you it was my own stupidity regarding the cairo dock and tint2 panel thing. Do you think I would click the "MENU" and see the nice, big shiney "Desktop Settings" resting at top? Heck NO! I am or was rooting around like a lost pig, lol, deep in Rox launching stuff left and right, and modifying tint2 and (now) even Cairo. You made a realyl nice touch with the Cairo minimal inclusion...makes this OS really, really classy :wink:

Thanks for the .desktop tip on htop. I just changed it a little and instead use "roxterm-e htop", as I've got wild rainbow colours already setup in roxterm. It looks like Disney threw up when I open roxterm now, and I love it! :lol:

Also, I did a quick, dirty remaster just for fun, and it was done in less than 9 mins. 9 minutes!! Unbelievable. It'll sure be hard not to do this a lot now since it is not only so easy (I'd forgotten you made easy too in the earlier DD dogs) but also fast.

Additionally, I hear you on the folder save only thing. More I think, more I am thinking I either better regularly back up those porteus "change" & other folders and such , or I should just go download the new ISO, set it up, create a savefile, and then not worry because backing up will be a breeze with a savefile.

Anyhow, thanks again for this OS! I'll keep testing and see if I find anything else. Where the heck is backi?? Backi?! You out there?? Get in here and test this too 8) Fred, that stable of yours on your github site is growing nicely, and with OSes like this, it is becoming, as I hear British upper-circles say, quite "well-appointed"! :wink:

P.S. Out of religious reasons, I did not read ONE word of that explanation about htop and you know what. Too many bad memories, and I don't want any bad luck, demons and/or dragon-slaying to appear again here (aha)! :lol:

fredx181

#19 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:it was done in less than 9 mins. 9 minutes!! Unbelievable.
I'm confused!! 9 minutes is long IMO, or maybe you used XZ compression.
For me it's less than 9 seconds (of course when size is about the same as original and using LZ4 compression), maybe you meant 9 seconds ?? :wink:

EDIT: I lied, just counted it and was actually 11 seconds :)

Fred

backi

#20 Post by backi »

Hi belham and fred too !

Here i am !.... still alive and kicking :D

hi belham Voodoo Chile...
just amused observing ( from the background ..as a silent Observer ) your struggle while banning these Digital Demons on your " Magical Mystery Tour Electrique " .

I am little hesitating to put it (the new Xenial ) on a Stick because i just upgraded the old one..
I am using 32 bit version .Just have a 32 bit machine .
O.K will give it a try .....and will report my adventures .

Thanks again to you belham ,fred .....and all these cool people who brought this fascinating project into life and into the public .

Still enjoying very much the friendly atmosphere and good spirit here on Puppy Forum ...... especially here on the Dog Project .

Blessings to all :D

Belham if all your Exorcism wont work ..maybe try the " Banishing Pentagram Ritual " :D :D

http://www.solve-et-coagula.us/ritual/pentagram.php

fredx181

#21 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use?
Can you test this firewall-puppy program ? (I have very little knowledge about firewall stuff, so can't test properly)
No idea if it works ok in this setup, Toni has put it together long time ago for DebianDog.
Includes only shell scrips, so should be platform independent.
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/P ... -1_all.deb
Run after install from Menu > System > Firewall Puppy

Hey backi !! Greetings ! :)

Fred

backi

#22 Post by backi »

Can you test this firewall-puppy program......

it is working on the Deb Dog 32 and on Xenial Dog 32 ...for me.

.......look in Menue>Internet Firewall Puppy .....start it ...it will be activated .. so i hope ... save it ....

belham2

#23 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Hi belham and fred too !

Here i am !.... still alive and kicking :D

hi belham Voodoo Chile...
just amused observing ( from the background ..as a silent Observer ) your struggle while banning these Digital Demons on your " Magical Mystery Tour Electrique " .

Thanks again to you belham ,fred .....and all these cool people who brought this fascinating project into life and into the public .

Blessings to all :D

Belham if all your Exorcism wont work ..maybe try the " Banishing Pentagram Ritual " :D :D

http://www.solve-et-coagula.us/ritual/pentagram.php
Greetings Backi!

You know they only let me out of my crystal-white-straight-jacket a few hours each day, so I have to be quick as I hack their terribly defended network before I fly over the cuckoo's nest! :lol:

Glad you are doing well, and I hope that things are good and the health is rock-solid. I am trying to keep up with Fred...he releases OSes so often that I can barely keep up. And you please keep all them crazies in the 32-bit world on the straight and narrow. I have left for the wackiness of the 64-bit world, haha, though a few still call to me from the 32 lala land.

Be good and stay out of trouble.

P.S. Fred, yes, I meant "seconds", sorry, my typing skills are limited to peck, peck, peck, and pecka lot more. Sometimes I don't read what I am pecking and then my mind has forgotten what I am writing so the pecking gets worse, lol. Ahhh, the wonders of getting old :wink: And, yes, I will get to testing on the firewall thing and report back.

backi

#24 Post by backi »

Hi belham !

I think this will be the appropriate Ode to your insanity ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVkAhto0Ag

ayatollah

#25 Post by ayatollah »

Crossing fingers for bluetooth support!

The Flying Cat

#26 Post by The Flying Cat »

Tested Chrome. Runs fine. Will be transfering to XenialDog 64 somewhere in february.
I'd suggest to use Chrome as default browser but there is some Linux specific vulnerability with chrome+gstreamer combo. Maybe it's patched already... dunno... Whatever) At least squashfs or some install script.

Chrome under root instructions (sorry not good with commands, so most stuff via gui):
run "apt-get update" in terminal;
download deb from google site and install it;
go to usr/share/applications (it's a shortcut in a file manager);
open google chrome launcher via text editor;
find "Exec" line remove it, paste

Exec=bash -c 'google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir="/home/puppy/.config/google-chrome"'
save file:)

If its still not working try logout, or manually click on launcher)))
For some mad reason Chrome crashes if you select GTK themeing in options.

While youtube nowadays runs on html5 Chrome still have built-in flash plugin and runs html5 faster than firefox:) I tested same 720p video in Chrome 55 cpu usage was ~30%, Firefox 45 (default, updated) showed ~50% and Firefox 50 (from xenial repos) was ~40%.

dancytron

#27 Post by dancytron »

The Flying Cat wrote:Tested Chrome. Runs fine. Will be transfering to XenialDog 64 somewhere in february.
I'd suggest to use Chrome as default browser but there is some Linux specific vulnerability with chrome+gstreamer combo. Maybe it's patched already... dunno... Whatever) At least squashfs or some install script.

Chrome under root instructions (sorry not good with commands, so most stuff via gui):
run "apt-get update" in terminal;
download deb from google site and install it;
go to usr/share/applications (it's a shortcut in a file manager);
open google chrome launcher via text editor;
find "Exec" line remove it, paste

Exec=bash -c 'google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir="/home/puppy/.config/google-chrome"'
save file:)

If its still not working try logout, or manually click on launcher)))
For some mad reason Chrome crashes if you select GTK themeing in options.

While youtube nowadays runs on html5 Chrome still have built-in flash plugin and runs html5 faster than firefox:) I tested same 720p video in Chrome 55 cpu usage was ~30%, Firefox 45 (default, updated) showed ~50% and Firefox 50 (from xenial repos) was ~40%.
If you put the chrome command line flags in the .desktop file, they will get overwritten with any update. Same if you edit the google-chrome-stable wrapper file, like they do for the Puppy pets and sfs's.

What I did in DD 64 was make separate bash scripts to launch Chrome.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 815#919815

The Flying Cat

#28 Post by The Flying Cat »

Rename new launcher, like 'google chrome root'. Or add 'bash -c' to whatever existing/new desktop/dock launcher.

fredx181

#29 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:If you put the chrome command line flags in the .desktop file, they will get overwritten with any update.
That would be a problem only IMO if chrome is part of the repository, which it is not, so a blind "apt-get upgrade" causes no harm then when you have manually installed chrome by downloading .deb from chrome website (but when upgrading manually later, then you have to edit again the Exec= line in the google-chrome .desktop file)

Just my opinion and trying to clarify things.

EDIT: assumed wrong, there's a chrome sources.list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, which makes google-chrome upgraded when doing "apt-get upgrade"

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#30 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:
dancytron wrote:If you put the chrome command line flags in the .desktop file, they will get overwritten with any update.
That would be a problem only IMO if chrome is part of the repository, which it is not, so a blind "apt-get upgrade" causes no harm then when you have manually installed chrome by downloading .deb from chrome website (but when upgrading manually later, then you have to edit again the Exec= line in the google-chrome .desktop file)

Just my opinion and trying to clarify things.

Fred
Lots of different ways to do the same thing.

The default Chrome install off the Google website will have apt download all the dependencies and automatically add the chrome repository to the sources file so that it does update automatically with apt-get upgrade.

fredx181

#31 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:The default Chrome install off the Google website will have apt download all the dependencies and automatically add the chrome repository to the sources file so that it does update automatically with apt-get upgrade.
Ah, yes, you are right, didn't notice before, I see now in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d" directory, that will upgrade chrome using apt-get indeed, thanks!

Fred

zagreb999

mx-antix deluxe

#32 Post by zagreb999 »

from debian world
Attachments
screen4.jpeg
antix-mx deluxe
(139.32 KiB) Downloaded 470 times

belham2

#33 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use?
Can you test this firewall-puppy program ? (I have very little knowledge about firewall stuff, so can't test properly)
No idea if it works ok in this setup, Toni has put it together long time ago for DebianDog.
Includes only shell scrips, so should be platform independent.
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/P ... -1_all.deb
Run after install from Menu > System > Firewall Puppy

Hey backi !! Greetings ! :)

Fred

Hi Fred,

Just installed the above firewall this morning, I think it is running ok....well, I mean it seems to be from doing simple tests on using websites to penetrate/test it and the firewall blocking stuff I've tried. But, ugh, I wished I was more gifted in grasping Toni's writing of scripts of iptable rules and loops. I have a general idea on some of it, but am lost on others. Haha....am blundering through the forest with a helmet over my eyes :P .

Anyhow, thanks again

mikeslr

How to set WEP in Wifi

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred,

XD64 booted right to desktop and looks nice. But among the first things I always do is set up Wifi. By either clicking the icon on the "Taskbar" or starting it via the Menu, I get the same GUI? --I assume that the window which appears is a GUI. It sees my wireless network. But then I'm not sure what I have to do to enter the WEP password: Fios Router, no choice to use WPA,

Is there a quick link to instructions? If not, what steps do I take.

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

fredx181

#35 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham
I think it is running ok....well, I mean it seems to be from doing simple tests on using websites to penetrate/test it and the firewall blocking stuff I've tried. But, ugh, I wished I was more gifted in grasping Toni's writing of scripts of iptable rules and loops.
You did use the automatic setup? (not advanced, or how it's named)
Btw, I wasn't clear enough when I said that Toni had put it together, I meant that he took the files from Puppy (I think) and made a .deb package.
Probably it's just the same as the default firewall included in many puppies, but I might be wrong.

Fred