XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#31 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:The default Chrome install off the Google website will have apt download all the dependencies and automatically add the chrome repository to the sources file so that it does update automatically with apt-get upgrade.
Ah, yes, you are right, didn't notice before, I see now in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d" directory, that will upgrade chrome using apt-get indeed, thanks!

Fred

zagreb999

mx-antix deluxe

#32 Post by zagreb999 »

from debian world
Attachments
screen4.jpeg
antix-mx deluxe
(139.32 KiB) Downloaded 470 times

belham2

#33 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use?
Can you test this firewall-puppy program ? (I have very little knowledge about firewall stuff, so can't test properly)
No idea if it works ok in this setup, Toni has put it together long time ago for DebianDog.
Includes only shell scrips, so should be platform independent.
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/P ... -1_all.deb
Run after install from Menu > System > Firewall Puppy

Hey backi !! Greetings ! :)

Fred

Hi Fred,

Just installed the above firewall this morning, I think it is running ok....well, I mean it seems to be from doing simple tests on using websites to penetrate/test it and the firewall blocking stuff I've tried. But, ugh, I wished I was more gifted in grasping Toni's writing of scripts of iptable rules and loops. I have a general idea on some of it, but am lost on others. Haha....am blundering through the forest with a helmet over my eyes :P .

Anyhow, thanks again

mikeslr

How to set WEP in Wifi

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred,

XD64 booted right to desktop and looks nice. But among the first things I always do is set up Wifi. By either clicking the icon on the "Taskbar" or starting it via the Menu, I get the same GUI? --I assume that the window which appears is a GUI. It sees my wireless network. But then I'm not sure what I have to do to enter the WEP password: Fios Router, no choice to use WPA,

Is there a quick link to instructions? If not, what steps do I take.

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

fredx181

#35 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham
I think it is running ok....well, I mean it seems to be from doing simple tests on using websites to penetrate/test it and the firewall blocking stuff I've tried. But, ugh, I wished I was more gifted in grasping Toni's writing of scripts of iptable rules and loops.
You did use the automatic setup? (not advanced, or how it's named)
Btw, I wasn't clear enough when I said that Toni had put it together, I meant that he took the files from Puppy (I think) and made a .deb package.
Probably it's just the same as the default firewall included in many puppies, but I might be wrong.

Fred

fredx181

#36 Post by fredx181 »

Hi mikeslr,

I'm not sure I understand well what you mean with the GUI.
Is it the one the below screenshot shows?
If so you can double click your network and enter password.
Or does it not work with WEP possibly?

Fred
Attachments
wifi-gui.png
WiFi GUI
(56.34 KiB) Downloaded 2682 times

fredx181

#37 Post by fredx181 »

*** Upgrade XenialDog 64-bit ISO 2017-01-22 ***
First post has been updated

Upgraded ISO a few days later ?
Well, to be honest, that's mostly for personal reasons.
Me being a perfectionist, couldn't stand that it was still not how I'd prefer.

Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)

I will still be around here, but nothing new (or upgraded) from me in the near future (probably in spring or summer I will work again on a new DebianDog, when Stretch has arrived as the new 'stable' branch)

Changes, fixes: (nothing much really)

1. Pcmanfm "open with..." shows applications to choose from now
2. Added one more option to choose from in "Desktop Manager": Pcmanfm providing the desktop and Lxpanel bottom panel (for those who don't like tint2 or cairo-dock, it's a little heavier, but still very light)

Download:
Iso: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso Size: 310MB
Md5sum: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.md5

Fred

backi

#38 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)
Good idea fred ......in my humble opinion .
Be good to yourself .......hanging a lot on the web like i do, can give some distorted relation to "real " life .
Your decision sounds like a sign of sanity .

Wish you all the best........and see you later :D :D :D

zagreb999

ubuntu installer on hard disk

#39 Post by zagreb999 »

regards...

does anybody know about ubuntu installer
on hdd , and the same could be used in xenialdog64...

mikeslr

XenialDog 64 Wifi: WEP Password doesn't take

#40 Post by mikeslr »

Hi fredx181 & anyone,

My apologies if this creates a moment of anxiety spoiling your well earned break. XenialDog 32-bit works so well I was hoping 64-bit would do like-wise. But as I have other options for an operating system, there's no urgency.

My computer is only connected to the internet by wifi. Left-Clicking Menu>Network>Wifi Configuration or Left-Clicking the icon on the Tint2 (?) panel, opens a window which instructs to "Double click to Connect". My wireless network is among the list of wireless networks found. Double Clicking it, however, fails with the message:

"ip address failed on etho"

Right-Clicking the icon on Tint2, opens a window Titled "IP Infb- Network Information". Clicking the Wireless Tab, reveals that "No wireless extensions detected. Clicking the Interfaces Tab reveals that wlan0 is, in fact, recognized -- as suggested by the fact that wifi networks were, in fact, seen.

[Perhaps helpful: To strengthen connectivity, there's a Wifi Extender between my computer and my router. It appears as a "network" distinct from my network. However, it uses the same password. When that password is entered, it is accepted and the icon on Tint2 changes, now showing that the computer is connected. So, whatever the name of the "wifi connection application" maybe, it does accept WEP passwords. The extender, however, is only that. When firefox is opened, it reports "Server not found"].

If Edit Preferences is selected from The Wifi configuration window, what opens appears to be a text file. Under #Set default interface this appears: INTERFACE="eth0". Editing that to read INTERFACE="wlan0" and clicking OK doesn't stick. Trying to select my network again repors "ip address failed on etho". And checking preferences again reports INTERFACE="eth0".

There’s a section on the above file regarding WEP passwords. IIRC – I’m obviously not posting from XenialDog64-- the password which appears is “

newsted44

Best of the best.

#41 Post by newsted44 »

Wow. XenialDog 64bit was put together by some very talented people. This operating system is an instant contender for best of the best.

Thanks a million!

Mike

mcewanw

Re: XenialDog 64 Wifi: WEP Password doesn't take

#42 Post by mcewanw »

mikeslr wrote:Hi fredx181 & anyone,

My apologies if this creates a moment of anxiety spoiling your well earned break. XenialDog 32-bit works so well I was hoping 64-bit would do like-wise. But as I have other options for an operating system, there's no urgency.
Hello mikeslr,

if no really no urgency I'll try and help since I'm keen to install and try out XenialDog64 but I'm too busy for the coming week. Hopefully, from what you write, it will not be too difficult to sort out without needing frisbee or WiCD. Of course someone may have a solution or can help sooner.

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

zagreb999

frisbee on xenial64

#43 Post by zagreb999 »

hi mikeslr

take frisbee from synaptic

for me it works perfectly

mikeslr

frisbee @ github

#44 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks zagreb999,

:lol: Now why didn't I think of that? :oops:

Via a different OS, downloaded the deb and will try it ASAP.

Just to put things in prospective, it took me 30-odd years to figure out why, when you're searching for something, it's always in the last place you look. Because, then you stop looking. :lol:

mikesLr

fredx181

#45 Post by fredx181 »

Hi mikeslr,

It appears that the program 'wifibox' hasn't been tested well enough (probably only with WPA).
It's taken from Slitaz, and William and I have been working on it to adapt it for XenialDog.
One of the changes I made was key encryption, this means that in the wpa config file (/etc/wpa/wpa.conf) an encrypted key is shown rather than the "real" one.

I made new package (wifibox_1.0.5_amd64.deb) with some changes that will reverse back to original (no key encryption) and other change which has to do with required quotes for WEP ( psk="key" )
There's a good chance it will work now for you.

Can you do me a favor and test this new version? (I can't test WEP)

Download (from other OS):
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/P ... _amd64.deb

Then in XenialDog64
In terminal first remove old wifibox and traces of old config files:

Code: Select all

apt-get purge wifibox
# remove old config files
rm -f /etc/network.conf*
rm -rf /etc/wpa
Install, open terminal in directory where wifibox_1.0.5_amd64.deb is located

dpkg -i wifibox_1.0.5_amd64.deb
If Edit Preferences is selected from The Wifi configuration window, what opens appears to be a text file. Under #Set default interface this appears: INTERFACE="eth0". Editing that to read INTERFACE="wlan0" and clicking OK doesn't stick. Trying to select my network again repors "ip address failed on etho". And checking preferences again reports INTERFACE="eth0".
The important entries (to be set for working WiFi) in /etc/network.conf are:
WIFI="yes"
WIFI_INTERFACE="wlan0" (or whatever)
WIFI_ESSID="......"
WIFI_KEY='.......'

But it should be done all automatically, no need to edit (only for e.g. set to static IP maybe).
If all is well of course, sorry for the inconvenience.
Laughing Now why didn't I think of that? Embarassed

Via a different OS, downloaded the deb and will try it ASAP.
Frisbee package (64bit) is here, (synaptic won't work from other OS, e,g, XenialDog 32bit, it will download 32bit frisbee)
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/P ... /Included/

But again, please test first if new wifibox works, thanks!.

Fred

mikeslr

Will test Wifi-box & other matters

#46 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred & zagreb999,

First, thanks again zagreb999 for the suggestion to use frisbee. It worked and I'm posting from Xenialdog64 now because it did. :D

To download frisbee from Xenialdog64's repo while running under a different OS, I had to cut and paste (not paste and go) the link to XenialDog64's ISO from the post into a webbrowser, backspace to reach folders on github rather than download the ISO, and then hunt around.

Of course, once you're on the internet, doing that isn't necessary because synaptic works. But it could still be convenient to people like me who (a) have problems with wifi-box, and/or (b) mess around a lot so like to keep commonly used packages in storage for when I screw up and have to start from scratch. For example, I've got a weird monitor. It's factory specs suggest that its maximum resolution is 1680 x 1050 and booting into a fresh 0S uses that. But the display results in the 1/5 of the screen (usually on the left, but sometime half on each side) being blank. 1600 x 1200 fills the screen. But I have to remember to set refresh rate to 60. Auto tries at 75 and on reboot I get an "out of range" notice and nothing else. Forgot this time and had to delete the Changes folder to boot into XenialDog64.

Short version: it may help if a specific link to the repo was on XenialDog64's first post -- just in case.

The first thing frisbee did when I installed it was remove wifi-box. So I'm not sure "first removing" it may be necessary. But I'll try. Actually, I guess I'll have to try a variation of the instructions to remove frisbee. But I wonder if that should be the case.

I know the general preference in Linux is efficiency: one application for one purpose. But there's a lot to be said in favor of resiliency: Alternatives having slightly different abilities for when "one" just doesn't cut it.

At any rate, I'll test Wifi-box and report back.

One other thing, also --and I stress-- no urgent need to address it. Now that I've modified my screen resolution, the desktop drive-icons are about an inch and a half above the task bar. That current placement isn't aesthetically pleasing. I like the convenience of desktop drive Icons; but can live without them -- as I do when using xfce-thunar. I've tried different choices under Desktop Manager and different settings under each choice. But I haven't found anyway to turn them off or move them. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your efforts.

mikesLr

belham2

Re: Will test Wifi-box & other matters

#47 Post by belham2 »

mikeslr wrote:
One other thing, also --and I stress-- no urgent need to address it. Now that I've modified my screen resolution, the desktop drive-icons are about an inch and a half above the task bar. That current placement isn't aesthetically pleasing. I like the convenience of desktop drive Icons; but can live without them -- as I do when using xfce-thunar. I've tried different choices under Desktop Manager and different settings under each choice. But I haven't found anyway to turn them off or move them. Any ideas?

mikesLr

Hi Mike,

I am not sure if I am understanding correctly what you're saying about the 'desktop-drive-icons', but in case I am, have you tried just 'right-clicking' which ever icon you want to move? You get back a full control dialog letting you do whatever you please with the icon (you can even make it disappear via the commands, eliminating automount)?

Here's a pic of what you get when you right-click on a desktop-drive-icon:
Attachments
right-click-your-desktop-drive-icon.jpg
(33.24 KiB) Downloaded 1196 times

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote:Short version: it may help if a specific link to the repo was on XenialDog64's first post -- just in case.

The first thing frisbee did when I installed it was remove wifi-box. So I'm not sure "first removing" it may be necessary. But I'll try. Actually, I guess I'll have to try a variation of the instructions to remove frisbee. But I wonder if that should be the case.
There is already link to the repo in first post:
XenialDog custom packages repository: Here
Ah, you installed frisbee already, assuming you have working internet connection now you can just install wifibox with apt-get and frisbee automatically will be removed again.
better remove possibly old config files from wifibox, (if there are any left), so altogether:

# remove old config files
rm -f /etc/network.conf*
rm -rf /etc/wpa
apt-get update # might be required
apt-get install wifibox # will install latest version 1.0.5
You will need to setup wireless again (choose network, enter password) because wifibox works different)

Edit: I had no connection at some point when I tested this (first installed frisbee over wifibox, then again installing wifibox over frisbee) , solved it by resetting my router (turned it off, waited 10 seconds and turned back on again)

Fred

mikeslr

Wifi-box still not working

#49 Post by mikeslr »

Hi belham2,

Thanks for the instruction about moving the drive icons.

Hi Fred,

Installing wifi-box automatically removed frisbee. But I ran the commands you suggested anyway.

Then, as Wifi-box still wouldn't connect to my network, I followed your suggestion to disconnect my router for 10 seconds. Wifi-box still doesn't accept my WEP password and reports "ip address failed on eth0". Edit preferences shows the same, and editing preferences doesn't.

By the way, as long as your working on wifi box I have a request to change its Graphical User Interface. I find double-clicking difficult. Would much prefer to select a network (high-lighting it) and then click a connect button.

While I'm happy using frisbee, let me know if you want further tests regarding wifi-box.

zagreb999

wifibox

#50 Post by zagreb999 »

Hi fred

I tested wifi box. It is very unstable.
In remastered iso with quick remaster

Wifibox can not reconnect automatically.

I noticed this fact: network manager
From trinity desktop from q4os and
From pclinuxos trinity work perfectly.
You can tray this one in debiandog.

regards.