Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 21:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 18 [262 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb 2017, 01:02    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

An 'almost' irrelevant issue:

I tried remastering, and quick-remaster from the commandline works great, thanks. However, I see no menu item for it from Start Menu and the old, provided, StartMenu -> System -> RemasterDog (or if that command entered on commandline) comes up with following apparent error messages -I don't know if they matter, and since quick-remaster is faster anyway, not a big deal - except nicer to have quick-remaster as the default one provided from StartMenu:

Code:
root@xenial64:~# remasterdog
sda5 sda6 sda7
Copying files to /mnt/sda5/remast...
/usr/local/bin/remasterdog: line 140: COPY*100/TOTAL: division by 0 (error token is "TOTAL")
tail: cannot open '/tmp/remasterdog_progress' for reading: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/remasterdog: line 167: [: : integer expression expected
Check now for any left over process ID's from rsync, should not show any below
2175 2182 2183

I'm really enjoying using XenialDog64 by the way - it was the Dog I was always hoping for...!

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb 2017, 20:36    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Yes, thanks for reporting about remasterdog, indeed the progress bar display is broken (for the rest it still works by creating squashfs though)
Upgrade to newer version 1.0.2 will fix it, added to Changes and fixes list

Quote:
quick-remaster from the commandline works great, thanks. However, I see no menu item for it from Start Menu

It's under "Module Tools" in the Menu, BTW, the GUI has more options.

Fred

mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb 2017, 23:48    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

Thanks. I'm currently experimenting to see if old supertuxkart (0.8.1) from Trusty works okay in Xenial, which it seems without issue so far to. Version 0.9.2 is too heavy for my system (used by the kids).

SORRY: I intended to post the following in XenialDog32 thread, since it mainly relates to that:

I simply added 'deb http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty universe' to my xenialdog32 /etc/apt/sources.list file. Then did an apt-get update, followed by apt-get -t trusty install supertuxkart.

Got an error about it needing the supertuxkart data file as dependency, but managed to resolve that with: apt-get -t trusty -f install

Maybe not considered too safe using trusty packages in xenial, but time will tell in this case!...

To cut my computer use, I'm trying to settle on just a couple of active distributions being XenialDog32 and XenialDog64. I'm not too keen on a multi-arch system so probably just boot one or the other depending on whether I particularly needing to run 32bit app or 64bit on occasion. The only thing I am planning to experiment with is systemd (maybe...) so XenialDogs fine for that purpose.

Like yourself, I am trying to get away from sitting too much at computer and spend more time with the family and in the garden and other aspects of non-virtual life!

Cheers, William

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr 2017, 04:44    Post subject:  

Added to Changes and fixes list see 4.)
Quote:
Bugfix for when using encrypted savefile:
If XenialDog64 is frugally installed and using "porteus-boot":
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/wiki/Porteus-boot
Replace initrd1.xz in the "casper" folder with the one from Here and encrypted savefile should work.

Fred

The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 04:28    Post subject:  

And I'm back! With 17.04! But before that I want to point out a few stuff. Also now I'm tracking only XD64, so I might've missed something.

Compton by default have a very slow fade in. It feels really sluggish even if you have no problems on hardware level. Open '.config/compton.conf' seek line 159 'fade-in-step' and set it to '0.064'. Higher the number faster the window will appear.

It might be nicer if shutdown window had a 'Cancel' button, in the left corner. Year ago I remembered something while already pressed the button and closed 'Save/NoSave' window. Turned out coundown still continued, and then saving, and then reboot Very Happy

Sometimes when updating something, system generates kernel boot files in 'boot' folder (particularly annoying fat 'img' files). Original iso have only small 'config' file there. So I manually clean, when remember, boot folder. I think some additional cleaning in remaster scripts might be interesting but it might affect less frugal installs.

Upgrade-Kernel can actually auto purge old kernels. Or ask about it in a 'Y/N' manner. I mean it '.bak' old ones and Quick Remaster '.bak' old '.squashfs' anyway.

Zesty Dog 64
I was doing it for myself primarily out of curiosity and decided it's okay enought to share. Generally I was using rule 'simplest and fastes solution known to me'.
Features:
Almost everything removed, you can install stuff back via repository. Software & Updates installed. Chrome installed. Only XFCE. Did 'sh > bash', downgraded yad and swapped initrd1.xz Smile Forgot to mention first time: Variety of themes and window borders. Full Faenza icon theme. Bleachbit installed. Xarchiver swapped with File Roller. Open Software & Updates - Other Software - mark 'Canonical Partners' if you want Skype Wink
Bugs so far:
- Conky's font outline and shading is broken making font unreadable with transparency on, implanted Conky from Yakkety, works fine Smile locked in synaptic. Unlock and reinstall via synaptic if you are interested in this bug.
- Thunar's icon hover glitched. Use PCManFM, Thunar needed only for 'Places' applet.
- Shutdown messages renders yellow font on white background (background color depends on theme - full dark will display dark background), making messages unreadable. This behavior was even on Jessies when installing big DE's.
- Adding PPA will result that distibution of this PPA will be set to 'xenial', which requires some manual fiddling prior installing from said PPA's. Software & Updates - Other software - Edit - swap 'xenial' to 'zesty'. Example and actual solution.
Notes:
XFCE menu (pops out with 'win' button) and clock are gtk3 now which looks like increased memory usage, can be replaced with built-in 'normal' versions. Shutdown buttons placed on a hidden panel in bottom right corner. Mesa 17 available, it's faster, but you can add ppa with it to XD. Original kernel 4.4 (due to broken on some systems 4.8 kernel) from XD64, can be upgraded to 4.10 (tried, runs fine, supposedly only bonus from it is support of newest Intel, AMD and Qualcomm cpu's). Open Software & Updates and set 'Download from' to 'main server' or someplace close:)

400 mb (xz compression), click flag on the bottom to change language.
https://yadi.sk/d/vYyZNfQe3H67Da

Better Edition (with 4.10 kern) http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952224#952224

PS. Kinda sick right now so might missed (hopefully not messed) something. That is the reason of absent screenshots (scrot removed, gnome-screenshot not installed). Quick remaster is awesome!Smile

Last edited by The Flying Cat on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 03:01; edited 3 times in total
backi

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 04:49    Post subject:  

Hi High Flying Cat !
Pleased to meat you (.....hope you guess my Name..... huuu ...huuu ....huuuh...huuuh..).

Is your link just for 64 Bits ?

Quote:
It might be nicer if shutdown window had a 'Cancel' button, in the left corner. Year ago I remembered something while already pressed the button and closed 'Save/NoSave' window. Turned out coundown still continued, and then saving, and then reboot

Yes this is really annoying .But there is another thing which annoys me too ......why i cant download from Yandex ? ......i tried in Palemoon and Firefox.....pressed download .......nothing ......
The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 05:14    Post subject:  

Hello backi:)
Yandex is the nature of my game:D I'll put another link, likely on mega, although somewhat later, likely tomorrow.
It is indeed 64 only. 32 upgradable in the same manner. But XD32 is already good enough. Peering into the future is more useful when system is not capped on 4g ram, well mine is capped on 3 but still)
backi

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 05:53    Post subject:  

Hi High Flying Cat !

Always one step ahead.....cause he `s an Artist ...a Pionier "We got to have some music on the new frontier" Smile Smile Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6b8IIZpNkU
backi

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 07:08    Post subject:  

High you Time Travelers ......more from the Future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH-uopkB6r0
The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 03:51    Post subject:  

Nice music thanks ^_^
Unfortunately only option I have now is mega (sorry, can't mark it as url)
https://mega.nz/#!boJUhQ5R!lp2E7P1cEONOe4QnOsv2Ii3bW1cWkxLzPnWOKjgaSKY
Pick gray 'Download through your browser' option.
If there still be problems I'll figure something out on the next week, probably register on dropbox or something.
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 04:58    Post subject:  

Thanks Flying Cat Smile , will try your Zesty Dog 64 soon!!

Fred

escucha

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 10:01    Post subject:  

This is a xenial64 not zesty!
Nor iso does'nt work properly.
Still trying.

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017, 14:11    Post subject:  

@ escucha

Quote:
This is a xenial64 not zesty!

It's Zesty, just it may look like Xenial, because e.g. hostname is still Xenial and on other appearances the name has not been changed to Zesty.

@ The Flying Cat
Tried your XubuntuDog Zesty64 Smile it runs fine for me, nice job!
I made some changes (and fixes), you may like, and remastered, here it is:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0ByBgCDlZZ8K5R3VqUWZlTERid28 391 MB
Has kernel 4.10, there's a good workaraound btw for the problem I have on my hardware with kernel 4.8 or higher, add to kernel boot line:
Code:
video=SVIDEO-1:d

Fred

The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 02:58    Post subject:  

Thank you, Fred Very Happy

To all - mod version have 4.10 kernel, overally much more polished and have a neat shutdown menu:) So, yes, it is superior and recommended to use.
Just keep in mind PPA thing if you are in that sort of stuff.

I'll use this build for 17.10 upgrade:D And I just fill some stuff I forgot to mention first time and I'm going back to being ill.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr 2017, 17:18    Post subject: ZestyDog64 Mod - Questions about Repo  

Hi The Flying Cat, fredx181 & All,

Since I particularly like the xfce window manager especially now that there's a whisper menu, and The Flying Cat recommends fred's mod, I decided to try it. After installing the frisbee deb (see second post of this thread) it's seems to be working well. But I have a few questions before I begin customizing and fleshing it out.

Fred: After you published XenialDog64, you posted a couple of fixes. They also appear on the 2nd post of this thread. Are they included, necessary or recommended for your mod of ZestyDog64.

The Flying Cat: Sorry about your cold. I'm also having one of those days when my thought processes feels more like wading thru muck. So I'm also sorry, but I'm having difficulty getting my mind around something you pointed out:

"- Adding PPA will result that distibution of this PPA will be set to 'xenial', which requires some manual fiddling prior installing from said PPA's. Software & Updates - Other software - Edit - swap 'xenial' to 'zesty'. This behavior is exclusive to XD64 line (same was on Yakkety Dog 64), on YD32 this feature worked correctly."

"...recommended to use. Just keep in mind PPA thing if you are in that sort of stuff."

What PPAs does fred's mod use by default? Is there a multimedia PPA among them? Does your warning hold true if an independent PPA --such as that for avidemux-- was added? Just what(kind of) "fiddling" would be required? Or better still, exactly what steps should be taken. And, what other information in this area would be helpful to someone who barely knows what he's doing?

mikesLr
Page 5 of 18 [262 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: