light-49.0 mozilla browser for 32-bit Puppies as sfs or pet

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
keniv

#46 Post by keniv »

@watchdog
I've installed racy 5.5. I'm posting from it now. Seems OK on this machine. I've installed your .pet.
Remember that dbus and dbus-glib from wary's repository are required.
I've installed dbus-1.2.4.2permissive-1-w5.pet and
dbus-glib-0.82-w5.pet. With the first I got a message to say I had to reboot before it would work. I am just about to do that.

Ken.

backi

#47 Post by backi »

Hi Semme !
you run private browsing mode enabled, correct?
No

Maybe somebody else is encountering the same problem .

But me anyway dont care if sound or not on youtube .
Just copy URL from Youtube video and paste it into

Smplayer----Menu ---open >URL .....

is anyway better watching Videos on Youtube with Smplayer.

Semme

#48 Post by Semme »

Maybe, but you didn't specify your version or whether YouTube failed with add-ons enabled or disabled.

Works fine for me without Flash. Besides, isn't YT all HTML5 these days?

Either way, I'll let it go..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

backi

#49 Post by backi »

Hi Semme !
Thanks for your good will ......

Tried with Add Ons disabled ......Video works but no sound ......

Not so important .....

keniv

#50 Post by keniv »

@watchdog
Sorry but didn't work. Below is output from terminal.

Code: Select all

# light
/usr/bin/light: line 3: 10350 Illegal instruction     /lib/light/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /lib/light/glibc219/lib:/lib/light/glibc219/usr/lib:/lib/light/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib:/lib/light /lib/light/light "$@"
Can you tell me if there is a way to fix this?

Ken.

Pelo

#51 Post by Pelo »

:( light crashes before having any problem with YouTube. It crashed right as soon as opening .... (Pupjibaro Jessie, 6.4.2). Sorry josejp24. It was a nice try :)

watchdog

#52 Post by watchdog »

keniv wrote:@watchdog
Sorry but didn't work. Below is output from terminal.

Code: Select all

# light
/usr/bin/light: line 3: 10350 Illegal instruction     /lib/light/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /lib/light/glibc219/lib:/lib/light/glibc219/usr/lib:/lib/light/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib:/lib/light /lib/light/light "$@"
Can you tell me if there is a way to fix this?

Ken.
Geoffrey has sent a private message to me. My original package is working in Carolina but he suggested a one more tweak to play videos. I have repackaged light e I'm uploading it for testing. It works with my hardware using the vesa graphic driver in racy 5.5. I installed videodownloadhelper, noscript, js, ublockorigin extension and they are working. I played some videos. I don't know about your error. Uninstall the old package and install the new one from googledrive. Try the vesa driver (reboot required).

light-49.0-racy5-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

EDIT: I found this:

https://marylou.byu.edu/wiki/index.php? ... do+I+do%3F

It seems that your cpu does not like my package.

keniv

#53 Post by keniv »

@watchdog
Have just come in and read your post. Thanks for all of that. I'm not using vesa as I'm sure I read it needed xorg. I'll change to versa and do the other things you recommend and report back though it will be a bit later today. Thanks again for your help with this,

Regards,

Ken.

Found time to try this. It still does not work . On trying it in a terminal I got no output! Maybe it is my processor. I have attached two images from Syst Info for the CPU. As it's an intel chip I think this would be the relevant bit of the stuff on your link.
Alternatively, if you wanted to request any intel processor except Harpertown processors, you could do it like this:

#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=8,walltime=30:00,pmem=1gb,feature='intel:!harpertown'
I don't know if it's relevant to Syst Info data on my CPU. I'm well out of my depth here.

Ken.

keniv

#54 Post by keniv »

Just realised that I forgot to change to vesa. Done that now but still get the same result as in previous post.

Ken.

watchdog

#55 Post by watchdog »

There is not to be fan of light browser. I prefer palemoon which well works for old puppies on many machines. You can just use an old version of seamonkey or firefox keeping careful blocking scripts in your browsing behaviour. I just played with light browser but I think it cannot become our main browser.

keniv

#56 Post by keniv »

I made a new save file. I installed only your latest pet and the two dbus pets. It did not work. Running in a terminal gave the same "illegal instruction" output. Sorry to say it's time to give up. I have gained a pet I like in Racy 5.5 which I had not tried and runs quite well on my machine. Thanks for all the help with trying to get light to work on my machine.

Regards,

Ken.

Sailor Enceladus

#57 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

keniv wrote:I made a new save file. I installed only your latest pet and the two dbus pets. It did not work. Running in a terminal gave the same "illegal instruction" output. Sorry to say it's time to give up. I have gained a pet I like in Racy 5.5 which I had not tried and runs quite well on my machine. Thanks for all the help with trying to get light to work on my machine.

Regards,

Ken.
Oh, I think that's the "your CPU doesn't have SSE2 which light is compiled to require" problem:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 291#942291

keniv

#58 Post by keniv »

Yes I'm fairly sure thats the problem. Some discussion on this in earlier posts.

Ken.

XP Refugee

no sound on youtube

#59 Post by XP Refugee »

works fine in Palemoon and Firefox. Weird. I might like this Light. Acer netbook, needs all the help it can get.
lxpup 15.06 I believe.

Pelo

Now in LXpup Xenial. Light 49 works very well.

#60 Post by Pelo »

Now in LXpup Xenial. Light 49 works very well. You Tube not tested yet. I will advise later.
Links to allociné (french movies) succeed when with Palemoon no connect (Griffith). Perhaps the browser is not guilty, but there is a difference in favour of light.. I think to remasterize LXpup with it, after checking You Tube.
Nothing bad about Palemoon, just to change my habit.

YOU TUBE : no trouble to access (LXpup Xenial.)

jrb

#61 Post by jrb »

backi wrote:Did test it ........

but no sound on youtube .........any idea ??

Use it in Tahrpup 6.0.6.........
Had the same problem in xenpup and tahrpup. I just found the solution. :D I installed Oscartalks apulse pet http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#947398 and sound works great.

Pelo

i try light-49.0.linux-i686.rpm with X-Slacko

#62 Post by Pelo »

No time to translate previous pages. Just to inform i try light-49.0.linux-i686.rpm with X-Slacko the Slim Puppy by mistfire. Feed back soon
Light is really a browser for us, as Palemoon, Slimboat, and QtWeb
Not an huge one, efficient enough for our passengers to surf the web.
Mistfire's Puppy has Midori 0.5.8 ) included. But i want to test rpm packages. Mistfire should be interested too, to get his passengers happy (Thousands of passengers now ! ). Slim, he needs Slim apps.... and browsers of course.
lib atomic, help from UK here "If you need libatomic, you can find it here, at my MediaFire a/c:- " Mike Walsh, merci.

Jose A. Senna

#63 Post by Jose A. Senna »

watchdog said:
--> light-49.0 browser requires an high-xorg.
--> It does not work in old puppies even with glibc tweak.
--> I have a package for racy 5.5, the only "old" puppy
--> where I have had success. If someone is interested I can share it.

I am interested. Would you please provide a download link ?

watchdog

#64 Post by watchdog »

Jose A. Senna

#65 Post by Jose A. Senna »

@watchdog
From the discussion on the page you pointed to,
I concluded that the hardware I am using with Racy 5.5
(Pentium II) will not run light 49.0, because it lacks SSE.

Do you know of any browser more recent than
SeaMonkey 2.12.1, which claims FF15 compatibility,
that will run in this machine ?

I am not interested in viewing videos or like graphics
capabilities; I just want to connect to some sites,
which either require a newer version of TLS
or JavaScript or new encryption algorithms.
For instance, It seems that I cannot access even
github with SeaMonkey . Also recaptcha 2.0
became unusable.