no /dev/mixer or vol control with opl3sa2

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
sindi

no /dev/mixer or vol control with opl3sa2

#1 Post by sindi »

300MHz Micron desktop with onboard opl3sa2 sound correctly identified, puppy barks after setting up ALSA sound, but mixer does not work (cannot find /dev/mixer) and there is no vol control in tray.
Plays sound correctly otherwise. Used with unpowered speakers, still loud enough to hear in a quiet room. Hardware works fine with Win2K.

Yakob2009

#2 Post by Yakob2009 »

I have the EXACT same issue with my Toshiba laptop and it's internal opl3sa2.
Everytime i boot i have to setup ALSA and then it works but it always forgets on reboot.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

It may be a problem with Puppy's newish hardware detection.

- Before setting up your sound card, open a terminal and run lsmod to see what modules are loaded.
- Set up the sound card, then run lsmod again, and see what new modules have been loaded.
- Click "Menu->Setup->Wizard Wizard->Configure startup of Puppy->Click here to add a new module"
- Add the modules to the list.

If you have two sound cards it may be detecting and automatically setting up the other one, in which case you may have to use one of the other buttons to give the preferred one priority, or even blacklist the modules for the other one.
Also, maybe Puppy is detecting your card wrong, and loading the wrong module... I'm not really an expert on any of this stuff :(
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sindi

Repeated barking of opl3sa2 Yamaha sound

#4 Post by sindi »

The Alsa setup routine find the non-ISA card and plays the sample bark but it repeats.
Clicking on STOP stops the sound but does not fix the problem.
Aplay and mplayer also play repeated bark. Mplayer appears to play the mp3 sample properly.

Wary 5.5 and Pulp 4.1.2 have the same problem. What do I edit to fix it?

The laptop has lovely loud clear sound, a perfect non-glare screen, nice keyboard (which was typing
bbbbbbbbbbbbbb on its own until we removed a hair from under the B), a replaced hard drive, and dead
optical/floppy drive bay. (I tried four different drives). USB and even MMX.