Dell Vostro 1000

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mcradventures

Dell Vostro 1000

#1 Post by mcradventures »

This thread will hopefully be able to be edited in the future by me to update changes as I go.

About a week ago, I was given a thrown away old Dell Vostro 1000. Nothing wrong with it except it runs a little hot (but apparently that is normal, CPU temps are within the acceptable ranges) and didn't come with a hard drive, but I threw in another. I wanted to put Linux on it and it has been a pain in the backside to get it going. Maybe my experiences will help others with this kind of laptop get Linux on it.

What distros work on it?
* Slacko Puppy 6.3
* Tahr Puppy 6.0.5
* Slax 7.0.8

What distros don't work on it?
* Debian 8.7.1 (framebuffer issues? and freeze at detecting hardware)
* Porteus latest (framebuffer issues?)
* Lubuntu 16.10/14.0.4.1 (installer failure when using older kernel, newer kernel framebuffer issues?)
* Fatdog 710 (framebuffer issues?)

I've narrowed it down to the kernel. 3.x series seem to work, 4.x series doesn't. Not entirely sure at what kernel it stops working or why. In the above when I say framebuffer issues, I say such because it fails when trying to start framebuffer. Screen goes blank and nothing happens. No known boot options worked to bypass it, except with Debian.

Problematic hardware:
* Wireless: needs the b43 thing, puppy handles it right out of the box but the others need some help to get it working, never did get it working with the Debian netinstaller.
* Graphics?: The graphics may be the issue with the newer kernels not working, not sure.

So far I've settled on Slacko, but it could use some polishing.

Limbomusic

hey :-)

#2 Post by Limbomusic »

I also got (for free) a Dell Vostro 1000 (from 2005, sticker says) - I had a 500mb extra ram stick laying around so I put that in - so now it has 1.5gb ram.

I,ve been using my remastered tahr 6.0.5, full install with swap partition on it for a long time now - and its my main "sofa-computer" - I use it ALL the time.
I really love the smooth touch-pad and keyboard (much better than the one on my new lenovo)
Browser - chrome 48. (but also have slimboat and slimjet)
I havent had any heat-issues - but one snag: If I leave it with the lid open - the screen doesnt come on again - just a vertical line... But if I just close the lid, and wait 5 seconds - and open it again - its fine. I love that computer :-)