Solved! Gmail doesn't like Chromium in Puppy 6.3.2

Booting, installing, newbie
Gnimmelf

Solved! Gmail doesn't like Chromium in Puppy 6.3.2

#1 Post by Gnimmelf »

Hi there :-)
Im a Newbie to puppy.
the problem is the annoying message when i log onto gmail from chromium and google chrome browsers. since a couple of month there a message saing something like "this version of crome is no longer supported" it used to work fine with this version but mot anymore.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... s/download

is it possible to just shut of the message? im fine with the browser above!

kindly Gnimmelf

"SOLVED" - im now using the new inbox from google. doenst have the same message :-)
Last edited by Gnimmelf on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

spiritwild

#2 Post by spiritwild »

I know the yellow banner pops up usually when the version is 2 or so upgrades behind the current version.

I don't use chrome, eventually they will make it obsolete. I switched to Iron and palemoon.

With pepper flash, wrappers and all that.

Not sure if the same is true of linux.

According to Google, “Gmail users that are still on Windows XP and Windows Vista are the most likely to be affected, because v49 was the last released version which supported those operating systems. As previously announced in April 2015 and November 2015, these systems are no longer maintained by Microsoft, and we strongly encourage you to migrate to more secure and supported systems.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Gnimmelf.

Well, now. We switch the 'infobar' off in the browser itself (or at least I do, with the Chrome64 builds I do for the community); I'm not sure if peebee does the same for his Chromium builds.

As for GMail....no, there is no way to do the same. That bit is under Google's control; nothing we can do in the launcher scripts (by way of the large range of exec-line 'switches' that are available for this purpose) will have the slightest effect on the GMail warning banner.

You learn to ignore it. It has no effect on GMail's functioning, at all. Despite the fact that in addition to packaging the latest 64-bit Chrome for the community, I'm usually testing the latest 'beta' builds most of the time, my 'fall-back' browser is a pretty elderly version of Chromium; version 36, from nearly 2 1/2 years ago! The warning banner is always there when I go into GMail. Doesn't stop GMail from functioning, though. :roll:

(It's very rare that I actually go into GMail itself these days; I usually keep on top of my emails and stuff via Thunderbird.)

The crux of the matter is that with the Windows builds, the updater is always keeping the user supplied with the latest version automatically. In the Linux builds, that updater, despite being there, doesn't actually function......so you have to keep on top of things manually, if you want to run the latest build.

We're a little bit ahead of the 'buntu-based distros here, which many Pups are based on. With Ubuntu itself, the repos are almost always 2 or 3 versions behind. peebee and I, by keeping an eye on the Chrome/Chromium blogs, etc, always grab the newest versions as soon as they go 'stable', and get on with packaging them straight away. So here in Puppyland, you can be certain of always being able to run the most up-to-date version, within 48 hours or so at the latest.....if you're bothered by such things. And with the SFS packages that Pup employs, it's as simple as 'unloading' the old version, downloading the new version, then 'loading' that in its place; a matter of a minute or so's work, depending on your broadband connection's speed, of course.

Hope that clears things up a wee bit for you..!

Mike. :wink:

Gnimmelf

Thanks!

#4 Post by Gnimmelf »

Well seems i need to do the thunderbird thing....
Chromium works well for me, and im glad about the new sfs versions. in the new puppy 6.3.2 there is a problem loading though after reboot? how do i get puppy to "save" the chromium sfs build? I installed puppy to a ssd harddisk and it worked fine whit the old version....?