Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Jan 2020, 16:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Midnight Commander, versions 4.8.18 to 4.8.22
Page 4 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 20:10    Post subject:  

Just noticed, at least in my voidlinux mc 4.8.23 version http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1035078#1035078, that 'undelete' is no longer available Sad

Otherwise working really well. Just to note that when run within a terminal screen within X you can use the mouse to control it. My voidlinux setup uses tilda as the terminal so shift-ctrl C to copy (V to paste) all work fine, as does the right click context cut/paste options. Another nice feature of tilda is that you can hover the mouse over a url link and it will underline, clicking it opens the link in chrome (or whatever). Similarly clicking a .mp4 file for instance (or pressing enter) in mc will open the file in vlc (or whatever file association you set). I tend to keep all my bookmarks in a text file and display that within a terminal session so it's easily edited whilst all of the links are clickable.

Once you're familiar with mc its very functional. Its commonly available also, and works well whether you're running it locally or remotely.

I have tilda terminal set to F1 (toggles show/hide) and run a tui (ncurses text user interface) in one tilda tab so other commands are more easily opened when just using the mouse. mc as the file manager, skippy for window switcher, xlunch for program launcher is a great combination IMO. Works well whether you're predominately using the mouse ... or predominately using the keyboard. Does involve a learning curve, but you're soon running things intuitively/quickly and at that point persistence pays off and rox/other file managers seem like hard work by comparison.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2019, 11:54    Post subject:  

Under wiaks voidlinux builds I didn't even have rox installed, was just using mc. However I've just installed rox as a form of image preview option within mc

Within mc.ext I've set all image formats to a Include (common) option and where that common option has

View=rox %d

So in mc, clicking View or pressing F3 (View) whilst a image file format is highlighted opens up rox for that entire folder. In rox I've set large thumbnails and Display/Show Thumbnails. And then used Display/Save Current Display Settings ... so that rox starts with those options in that folder by default every time. I only have a few folder that contain images so I repeated that for those other folders. Set rox's Run Action for image files (MIME types) and you're good to go.

So now in mc, in a folder with images opening View results in rox showing the large scale thumbnails for all of the images, and clicking any one does the action associated in rox (such as open mtpaint) Smile

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 04 Oct 2019, 14:41    Post subject:  

As well, one could set mc to use qiv or other image viewer for this purpose.
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Page 4 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to: