Mouse Buttons do not work after installing Guest Extensions

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
f.gruber

Mouse Buttons do not work after installing Guest Extensions

#1 Post by f.gruber »

Hi,
I installed tahrpup 6.0.5 as virtual machine (Virtualbox). My host system is openSUSE 42.2
I set up a fixed virtual harddisk of 1 GB so I can save the pupsave.sfs file.
But I noticed that mouse integration did not work very well and therefore I installed the GuestAdditions of Virtualbox (after having installed the necessary packets to build kernel modules etc.).

Now I have a problem using the mouse in the puppy guest system. The left button does not work. The right button shows the context menu of the puppy window manager no matter what position I click.
I am able to navigate in that context menu using the keyboard.
In this way I am able to start programs and do some simple work using the TAB key and the ENTER key.

But the mouse is not really usable.
Best regards
Ferdinand

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Howdy Ferdinand.

Wrong board, right board. While it could be a shortcoming on Pup's end, try a different VB version.

You could, as an alternative, bypass VB altogether and boot Pup via disk or stick and let it do its thing. It'll ask if you'd like to create a save file upon shutdown / reboot, one that won't affect your Suse install. Much easier and you avoid hardware incompatibilities in one fell swoop. Should you determine Pup's not your soul mate, delete it. Easy peasy.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<