Pbackup 3.1.9-1

Miscellaneous tools
zigbert

#31 Post by zigbert »

Ooophs :oops:

zigbert

#32 Post by zigbert »

Stable Version 1.0.0 and 1.8.0 development release is uploaded. See main post.

zigbert

#33 Post by zigbert »

version 1.9.0. See main post.

zigbert

#34 Post by zigbert »

version 1.9.1. See main post.

zigbert

#35 Post by zigbert »

version 1.9.2. See main post.

zigbert

#36 Post by zigbert »

version 1.9.3. See main post.

jam

Pup Backup

#37 Post by jam »

Nice work on this much-needed project Zigbert.
Jam

PaulBx1

#38 Post by PaulBx1 »

I downloaded 1.9.3, installed it. It presented me with a rox window with the backup stuff, I clicked "puppybackup". I then tried to do a very basic thing, full back up my hard drive to a usb hard drive that I had mounted. I tried to set the file date to 1950, it seemed to want to set it to 2000 (what if I have files older than 2000?). I selected the output directory, etc. No options. Started the backup, and it gave an error message that "Another PuppyBackup is already running" and "See log for details". The log was empty. :roll:

I guess I'll try the stable version.

BTW, I like buttons to have english language words on them. I don't like tiny buttons with meaningless pictures, esp. where there is no flyover to describe what that meaningless picture is. Sorry, guess I'm old-fashioned. Never did care for the modern thing where they stick pictures on everything as if people don't know how to read. Even if you are driving an old foreign car with words on the controls you can usually figure out the words in a day or two. This is why I prefer MUT over pmount, MUT has words on the buttons.

BTW, those first 3 lines are not clear. "Save media" is meaningless - is that stuff you want to save, or where you want to save it? I actually got the two reversed first time I tried it. How about "Save to", "Save from" and "Save from date"? Can't go wrong with the words "to" and "from".

Sorry if I sound cranky. This is one of those days when nothing is working right. I should go climb back into bed.

zigbert

#39 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.4. See main post.

PaulBx1
This is your version. The mention bug is fixed (I guess). I also changed "Save media" to "Save to" and "Backup paths" to "Save to".

Code: Select all

Sorry if I sound cranky. This is one of those days when nothing is working right. I should go climb back into bed.
I hope you slept well.

Thanks for feedback.

Sigmund

zigbert

#40 Post by zigbert »

About the date setting (2000). You can choose whatever date you want. But I think *nix time start 1970 ??? I don't really know how PuppyBackup will act on your files from the 50's. :wink:

veronicathecow

#41 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, looks a great puppy but I was hoping to be able to backup to usb flash card. Any chance?
Many thanks

zigbert

#42 Post by zigbert »

I don't have any usb flash card, but if I got it right, they work like any harddisk, so it shouldn't be hard getting it work with HD option. Tell me...If it's so, it should have been told in the program or in the manual.

PaulBx1

#43 Post by PaulBx1 »

About the date setting (2000). You can choose whatever date you want. But I think *nix time start 1970 ??? I don't really know how PuppyBackup will act on your files from the 50's. Wink
Well, in my experience, I can't pick any date I want. I picked a date before any possible file date ('50's, 60's, doesn't matter, just so it's before any file creation date) and it still told me it was using 2000. I certainly do have files older than 2000.

I will try 1.9.4. BTW 1.0.0 worked fine yesterday.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Sat 24 Feb 2007, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.

zigbert

#44 Post by zigbert »

I have looked at the date issue, and puppytime (unixtime) starts 1/1/1970. You can't set date earlier than this in Puppy. PuppyBackup will react on files from 2. jan. 1970.

zigbert

#45 Post by zigbert »

I'll make an errorcheck to see if date is set before 1970. Puppybackup shows 1966, but does not use it because os can't handle it.

zigbert

#46 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.5. See main post.

PaulBx1

#47 Post by PaulBx1 »

zigbert, what does "mirror" do?

I have a basic idea, that it makes the full backup mirror the thing being backed up, but does it go the other way as well? If you delete a file in the backup, does it get deleted in the thing being backed up, next time Puppybackup is run?

Also, using mirror is generally only for full backups, right?

If you don't use mirror, and delete a file in the thing being backed up, that will not be reflected in the incremental backup, right? So really, the only way to get an "image" backup is to use mirror?

Maybe you need a help button to explain these options. But maybe it's already there; I'm looking at version 1.0.0.

zigbert

#48 Post by zigbert »

taken from the help file:

Code: Select all

MIRROR
When the Mirror option is turned on, PuppyBackup becomes a sync utility. Instead of saving only recent changed files, PuppyBackup now makes the total 'save directory' equal to 'backup directories'. First time it will copy all files, later just updating changes. If you have deleted a file in your main datas, it will also be removed from mirror. But NOT the other way around. For secure reasons, removed files will be dumped to a trash directory.
- Mirror doesn't take effect of date-setting.
- Mirror only work when saving to harddisk / flashcard.
- To keep an up-to-date mirror, PuppyBackup can be scheduled. See chapter 4: Schedule backup.
If this is unclear, the helpfile is not good enough, please help me.

zigbert

#49 Post by zigbert »

That was taken from the newest prebuild of 1.9.6. I'll guess it differs a bit from the helpfile in 1.0.0.

tytower

Backup 1.9.5

#50 Post by tytower »

Woops error posting - Ill go fix it in a tic

How do I install backup 1.9.5 ? --click on it ,it unzips and then press install -good stuff - puts an entry in the menu automatically.

Is it included with Puppy 2.14 --no seems not , its an add on -a dotpup