Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 13:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Pbackup 3.1.9-1
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 04:55    Post_subject:  

Good suggestions. I do not want to implement any new feature before 2.0 is released. But I will make an errorcheck for umounted flash/harddrives.

Lets start a wishlist for PuppyBackup 3.0
- Automounting / unmounting flash/harddrives. (Should be doable).
- MIrrorOption: Keep Trash (level 0-9. -- 0=no trash, 9=keep trash from last 9 backups).
- FTP backup.

veronicathecow: Did I get you right regarding the levels?
veronicathecow

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 05:18    Post_subject:  

Well I wasn't thinking trashcan but just folders marked backup1, backup2, to backupx but apart from that spot on. Cheers
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 07:34    Post_subject:  

I don't see the problem.

When you make a backup of recent files (not mirror), it is saved to a diectory called for instance: Backup_21-02-2007---26-02-2007. This name will change tomorrow, but you still got your old backup. The only problem occur when you backup twice a day. If you do several backups every day, I wouldn't recommend this way of backup. If will fill up your disk quickly. A mirror will serve this need better. And then some trashcans may prevent loss of datas from the unlucky user.

If I missed something, and you feel misunderstood, I apologize. Embarassed
Please explain in details, and I'll try hard to understand.

Sigmund
veronicathecow

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 16:13    Post_subject:  

Hi Zigbert, I've been working on trying to get 2.15CE with OO onto a torrent and been staying up way to late (for me!). What you have said about the dates is excellent. I suppose what I was thinking of was that could quickly fill up storage space and if there was anyway to limit the number of backups to "x" levels and the oldest gests scrubbed to make room for the next one.

Also one thing I've found is if I put a directory in the backup list inerror I have to wipe the whole list and start again. Cheers
Tony
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 17:48    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I suppose what I was thinking of was that could quickly fill up storage space and if there was anyway to limit the number of backups to "x" levels and the oldest gests scrubbed to make room for the next one.
Stupid me! Now I understand. But it doesn't sound like a secure behaviour.

Quote:
Also one thing I've found is if I put a directory in the backup list inerror I have to wipe the whole list and start again.
I'm sorry to say so, but it is no bug. It is lack of feature in gtkdialog (gui-lib). I was thinking of the ability to open a texteditor to edit /root/.puppybackup-include, but ended up with keeping it simplest possible. I would really like a file-picker-widget.
zigbert

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:44    Post_subject:  

Version 1.9.6 is uploaded. See main post.
MU

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:58    Post_subject:  

I installed it in Muppy 007 (Puppy 2.12) like this:
downloaded the gtkdialog .pet, renamed it to .tar.gz.
Then installed it as binary package in Pupget.

Now Puppybackup 1.9.6 runs.

Like this it looks in Enlightenment 17:

http://puppyfiles.org/pics/puppy/Puppybackup1.9.6.jpg

Very good to use the new Gtkdialog now, well done Very Happy

Mark

Edited_time_total
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2007, 23:53    Post_subject:  

Quote:
taken from the help file

Is there a help file? I hadn't noticed in 1.0.0. Maybe a button is needed to access the help file? Again, I have not looked at the latest. If it is solid enough I will get it. Does "uninstall" work if it is not solid - that is, do I get Puppybackup 1.0.0 back?

Quote:
Mirror doesn't take effect of date-setting.

I have no idea what this means. Can you set dates of files, other than change, modify, access, which only the system can do? Or is something else meant?

Quote:
I hope that is not really correct. A 'sync' utility keeps two directories in sync - i.e. any changes in one is reflected in the other.

That was part of my problem with the term "mirror" too. I think some sync programs have used the term "mirror". It is not firmly defined. I think as long as the help is easily accessed so the user can see what is being done, then there should be no problem.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a facility like "nice" in Puppybackup. That is, a way to downgrade task priority so it doesn't load the system. Of course working while it is going on is probably not a good idea anyway, so never mind...
zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2007, 03:35    Post_subject:  

MU:
I had no idea that PuppuBackup could look like this. Mmmmm!. Laughing

PaulBx1:
- Yes, you get back 1.0.0 if installs it over 1.9.6.
- Yes, there are helpfiles, both to version 1.0.0 and 1.9.6. I hope you'll easy find 'Help' on MUs picture.
Quote:
"Mirror doesn't take effect of date-setting." - I have no idea what this means....

- Well, what I'm trying to say is that the Mirror-function does not read the date-setting before running. Here we all see a weak point. My english are not well developed, and the helpfile will follow. It is great that you are critical to the program and the documentation.
- My wish is that you tries version 1.9.6, read help, and propose changes to whatever you mean is missunderstandable. Wink
zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2007, 06:17    Post_subject:  

Version 1.9.7 is uploaded. See main post.
GeoffS

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2007, 16:41    Post_subject:  

Zigbert
It looks great, works very well and it is simple to use.
Something for the wishlist:-
Being able to select various configuration files. I think it would require a few changes to your current file setup so I don't expect to see it in the next release Laughing I'm currently achieving similar functions by doing some file renaming - a bit risky though.

Just one comment about the current main window. Having 'to' at the top and 'from' at the bottom is not quite logical Confused

Cheers
Geoff
zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2007, 17:33    Post_subject:  

GeoffS wrote:
Something for the wishlist:-
Being able to select various configuration files.
My todo-list for 3.0.0 says 'Profiles'. I'm thinking of seperate scheduling. A Time-schedule (cron) and a Profile-schedule. Like this you can start profiles in a row.

But when talking about schedules, the schedule for version 3.0.0 is not tight. I have to return to real life for a while, and it will be minor coding for a couple of months. But, you got your automounting, didn't you. Wink

GeoffS wrote:
Just one comment about the current main window. Having 'to' at the top and 'from' at the bottom is not quite logical
My arguments are few, I'll consider it. Confused
GeoffS

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar 2007, 01:48    Post_subject:  

Zigbert
Didn't I say thank you for the automounting Embarassed - my sincere and humble apologies and thank you very very much.
Cheers - Geoff
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar 2007, 01:49    Post_subject:  

zigbert, I installed 1.9.7 to my Puppy 214, which added an entry to my menu under "Dotpups". However neither that new menu item, nor the old one under "Utility", invokes puppybackup. Rebooting didn't help either.
zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar 2007, 02:08    Post_subject:  

It sounds that you're missing the new gtkdialog3. Did install that too. See main post. There is a link to a PET package. This will NOT owerwrite existing gtkdialog.

Else should PuppyBackup be in /usr/local/puppybackup/.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum