Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Puppy Linux Newsletter
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 7 [100 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
smokey01

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2017, 21:47    Post subject:  Puppy Linux Newsletter
Subject description: Discussion regarding the newsletter

The Puppy Linux Newsletter can be read online or downloaded at the link below.
http://smokey01.com/newsletters/
If you have information you would like to see in the newsletter, please email it to me at smokey01@internode.on.net. If you would like to contribute but not by email, it can be done on the web page listed above. Click on the Browse button, select your file then click Upload. Please make sure you put your name somewhere in the contribution.

I prefer the contribution is created in Notecase otherwise it makes my job more difficult than I like. I don't intend doing any significant editing but I will attempt to read all of the articles and ask a couple of others to do some proof reading.

Notecase is very easy to learn and use. As a guideline, try and keep your articles to less than 1000 words. Photos and images should be no bigger than 1024 x 768. I can always make them smaller.

The deadline for articles is the 20th of each month. Let's not worry about time zones. I know it may be the 20th in Australia and only the 19th in the USA but I can live with this. If it's more than 24 hours late with respect to Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) then your article may be pushed right, into the next month/edition. I expect proof reading to take less than a week which will provide about four days to publish at the beginning of each month.

There are two versions of the newsletter. One is an xz compressed Notecase file and the other is an html file so it can be read online in a browser.

You may subscribe to the newsletter by two different methods.

1. Enter your email address in the subscribe field, make sure you select subscribe in the drop down combo box then click on the Go button. Each month when the newsletter is published you will receive an email with links to the newsletter.

2. Click on the RSS feed and choose the method of delivery. Depending on your choice of delivery, links will be either shown in your email client or browser.

Enjoy...

Last edited by smokey01 on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 23:54; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2017, 03:09    Post subject:  

There is now a link to the newsletters on http://puppylinux.com/ - scroll to bottom of page....
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2017, 22:11    Post subject:  

Need to add info on how to subscribe to Newsletter.

What you get by subscribing, etc.....

I know, should be easy to understand when you go to the web site.

The first post should have all info.

Thanks!!!!

smokey01

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017, 19:19    Post subject:  

The March Newsletter is out.
http://smokey01.com/newsletters/

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017, 20:22    Post subject:  

This is a great resource Grant. It's a very beneficial shot in the arm for Puppy. Insufficient or overly technical documentation is always a problem and over the years you have certainly led efforts to address that. Debian Dog has similar documentation problems though Fred has done some good work via wiki/website. DD is a bit fortunate in that pure Debian and Ubuntu docs generally apply anyway , but there are a lot of unique additions that are complex to explain in a user-friendly manner. Part of the problem for the whole of Linux is simply that its perhaps greatest strength, flexibility, results in its weakness: hug GFC he technical documentation that somehow needs to be distilled and simplified.

Well done for this continuously being updated resource, which I enjoy reading.

William

Terry H

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017, 22:28    Post subject:  

Being just the third edition, it has developed very quickly into an excellent production. Going forward will be an excellent resource. a really great read.

Thanks smokey01 and all who have contributed.
Terry H

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017, 22:38    Post subject:  

Thought to show up in numbers of subscribers I would subscribe.

When I replied to the email (within 2 minutes of subscribing) to finish the subscription I received the following message:
Error: The cookie you provided does not exist. It's possible the URL you provided is invalid or that the cookie has expired.

Edit: On returning to email I read additional methods to confirm subscription. So I have replied to email as advised.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 03:48    Post subject:  

smokey01,

Great March edition!

About the subscriber number. It is what it will be.
I read it online and choose note to subscribe.
I am sure others do to.

anikin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 08:00    Post subject:  

Hi smokey,

From the very outset (in that old thread), I was very skeptical about the newsletter project. Now that I've read this edition, I'm kinda warming up to it. Firstly, because of your personal profile: Respect, that's all I can say. It stands out in stark contrast to the collective profile of this community. Which is, mostly (but not all) a bunch of folks who have never had a decent job in their lifetime, are profoundly unprofessional, uneducated and have too much time on their little hands and don't know what to do with it. Also, it does make sense, that the newsletter comes from http://smokey01.com and not directly from this forum.
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 08:14    Post subject:  

Thanks for the many compliments, anikin! Rolling Eyes Laughing
« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
step

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:02    Post subject:    

Hi smokey, I truly enjoyed reading this issue, thank you. I chose to read it online instead of subscribing.
Your mentioning jemimah and how great a contributor she was, brought pleasant memories to my mind. Her saluki _thread_ captured my attention when I began looking for a Linux version that I could like. Saluki was what brought me to this forum. I still get a warm feeling when I boot Saluki Smile

smokey01

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 19:21    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
Hi smokey,

From the very outset (in that old thread), I was very skeptical about the newsletter project. Now that I've read this edition, I'm kinda warming up to it. Firstly, because of your personal profile: Respect, that's all I can say. It stands out in stark contrast to the collective profile of this community. Which is, mostly (but not all) a bunch of folks who have never had a decent job in their lifetime, are profoundly unprofessional, uneducated and have too much time on their little hands and don't know what to do with it. Also, it does make sense, that the newsletter comes from http://smokey01.com and not directly from this forum.

Thanks anikin. I suspect there are many nice and decent people who frequent this forum. I'm sure there are a few as you described as well Laughing

musher0

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 20:26    Post subject:  

I agree with step. The March 2017 issue is very interesting.
« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
6502coder

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 22:28    Post subject: index for the newsletter  

Edit: 2 august 2017
The permanent home for the Puppy Newsletter Index file and the accompanying PNI sorter app is now here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=950064#950064

Original post follows:

I'd like feedback on whether there is interest in having an index of the articles in the newsletter.

I've created a plain text file index for the 3 newsletters so far, see [link above]. This file can be searched as-is in a text editor, or easily imported into a spreadsheet. Actually it uses the format used by the "fields.awk" database tool that musher0 has promoted. If you just grep out the comment lines, you get a "fields.awk"-ready database, although I think even "fields.awk" is a bit of overkill for someone who only needs to search the index, not edit it.

If there is interest in having this index, I will commit to keeping it up to date. Perhaps someone else can whip up a nice simple GUI to search it. [I did this myself. See link above.]

Last edited by 6502coder on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 18:14; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 23:46    Post subject:  

Just read the March edition. Very interesting. 13 Down in the crossword made me chuckle, thanks greengeek!

I did notice 4 or 5 spelling errors and the end of the beep tutorial was hacked off, where did that proof reader go? Laughing
Page 1 of 7 [100 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: