Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

Does anybody understand about these stock gtk icons because one of the things I would like to resolve is the 2 missing icons (for Save All and Build) in the toolbar in Geany? This gets reported as errors in the log and Geany is a program which gets used a lot by many folks I am sure.

EDIT:- OK I tried compiling from source and that seems to fix it but now that I see the package structure it looks like the icons may be missing because they are in the package geany-common which is not installed.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

ttuuxxx

#17 Post by ttuuxxx »

OscarTalks wrote:Does anybody understand about these stock gtk icons because one of the things I would like to resolve is the 2 missing icons (for Save All and Build) in the toolbar in Geany? This gets reported as errors in the log and Geany is a program which gets used a lot by many folks I am sure.
here you go :)
Attachments
GeanyFixIcons-01.pet
(3.87 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
anikin wrote:ttuuxxx et al,

There's some ambiguity in the thread title. *Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Development* is one thing. Building Puppies based on Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii is a totally different ball of wax.
I added 'Woof CE' No room to added any more to title.
Hi, ttuuxxx.

Euh... Perhaps you did not notice: there is a line for a sub-title
if you need or wish to use it.

Also xerrs.log has asked me to thank you warmly for the geany icons!
Much appreciated. :)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ttuuxxx

#19 Post by ttuuxxx »

musher0 wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
anikin wrote:ttuuxxx et al,

There's some ambiguity in the thread title. *Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Development* is one thing. Building Puppies based on Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii is a totally different ball of wax.
I added 'Woof CE' No room to added any more to title.
Hi, ttuuxxx.

Euh... Perhaps you did not notice: there is a line for a sub-title
if you need or wish to use it.

Also xerrs.log has asked me to thank you warmly for the geany icons!
Much appreciated. :)

BFN.
Your welcome :)
I was going to work out the icon issues later on, once we get a bit further down the road, but since there was a request figured why not :)
ttuuxxx

OscarTalks

#20 Post by OscarTalks »

Thanks for the fix. You posted while I was editing my post above. At least I have now compiled Geany for the first time even though it turns out I didn't need to.

I have also compiled GTK hash as well as installing pupMD5sum. I added pProcess from Zigbert as I always like to have that in there. Upgraded sfs_load to 3.0.3 as there may have been some fixes or improvements.
Oscar in England

Billtoo

Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

#21 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new install:

System: Host: puppypc17935 Kernel: 4.1.30 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a1
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2000/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 119x40 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (9.4% used)
Weather: Conditions: 48 F (9 C) - Overcast Time: February 28, 10:20 PM EST
Info: Processes: 140 Uptime: 57 min Memory: 151.0/4036.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

You don't get to choose kernels when building Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a1 but
I've managed to install Kernel: 4.1.30 i686 (32 bit).

It's working okay so far.

Installed kodi,smplayer,smtube,and firefox with PPM.

Also loaded google_earth-7.1.1.1888.sfs and LibreOffice-5.3.0_en-US_xz.sfs
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(104.1 KiB) Downloaded 771 times

musher0

Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

#22 Post by musher0 »

Billtoo wrote:(...) You don't get to choose kernels when building Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a1 but
I've managed to install Kernel: 4.1.30 i686 (32 bit).

It's working okay so far. (...)
S..t, Billtoo, you don't know your strength or you're too modest or
something!!! Or you ate lots of spinach today? :lol:

A second kernel. Wow!

Could you please explain how it's done? Drop-in replacement? New iso?
How do you do that?!

Does that mean that this Dpup stretch-7 could be offered with a choice
of two kernels?

Congratulations!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Billtoo

#23 Post by Billtoo »

musher0 wrote: Could you please explain how it's done? Drop-in replacement? New iso?
I took the vmlinuz and zdrv_tahr_6.0.6.sfs from a tahr-6.0.6-uefi.iso.
The initrd.gz and puppy_stretch_7.0.0a1.sfs from a stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
and put them in a folder,renamed the zdrv_tahr_6.0.6.sfs and ran
grub4dos.

There's already a FrankenPup so it's FrankenPup-II I guess :)
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(40.96 KiB) Downloaded 736 times

musher0

#24 Post by musher0 »

Thanks for the explanation, Billtoo.

@all

I managed to put together a python package for the most recent
RedNotebook-1-15, published mid-February, for our DpupStretch-7,
in the form of an sfs.

Speaking of Frankenstein methodology: all the libs were meant for
Debian's copy, which is RedNotebook-1.10, but I substituted version 1.15.
(hehe)

Edit:
As a note to jlst and other persons in charge of the woof-CE, I had to
put together this sfs manually because the PPM does not offer the
RedNotebook application. However it is listed in the Debian sid repos if
you go there directly: https://packages.debian.org/sid/rednotebook.
I'm not throwing any blame at anyone here. This is just an observation
I'm sharing, which may or not be of interest to the woof-CE managers.

If someone could kindly try this sfs? It's here:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... P6YzYqdISV

A pet archive of it is working fine on my box, but I'd like confirmation
from at least another Puppyist before declaring success.

The help file won't load, but it's there, in /root/.rednotebook/tmp, if you
care to read it. Very strange place. I certainly wouldn't have put a help
file there!

My initial impression is that it's a weaker outliner than notecase, but I
haven't put RedNotebook through any hoops or loops. "Walk 100 miles in
someone's shoes before judging him/her", as the saying goes, so my
judgment on RedNotebook is suspended -- until further experience of it,
mine and others', has built up.

Any constructive criticism appreciated.

TIA. BFN.
Attachments
RedNotebook-1.15.jpg
(34.26 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 01 Mar 2017, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mavrothal

#25 Post by mavrothal »

ttuuxxx wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:Does anybody understand about these stock gtk icons because one of the things I would like to resolve is the 2 missing icons (for Save All and Build) in the toolbar in Geany? This gets reported as errors in the log and Geany is a program which gets used a lot by many folks I am sure.
(Disclaimer: This is not directed to ttuuxxx in any way. He just provided the opportunity with this post)

This is one way to go about it.
However, it might be better to just edit the geany template in woof-ce to include these icons.
The trimming through packages-templates is usually the case when files from a distro package are not present in a puppy build.
To minimise size BK cherry-picked files and folders from the distro packages through "packages-templates".
As packages change templates may need to be updated too as in this case where you also need /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions
Newer puppies may use packages that do not have a template resulting in bigger builds. People interested in minimising size may look at it.
On the other hand people interested in maximum compatibility (and size) may bypass trimming altogether (look at the 2createpackages script)

In general would be a good idea changes and fixes to be at the (local) woof level and (eventually) go back to woof-ce, so the next person can take advantage of them as we all do from the work that went already there.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

belham2

#26 Post by belham2 »

Billtoo wrote:
musher0 wrote: Could you please explain how it's done? Drop-in replacement? New iso?
I took the vmlinuz and zdrv_tahr_6.0.6.sfs from a tahr-6.0.6-uefi.iso.
The initrd.gz and puppy_stretch_7.0.0a1.sfs from a stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
and put them in a folder,renamed the zdrv_tahr_6.0.6.sfs and ran
grub4dos.

There's already a FrankenPup so it's FrankenPup-II I guess :)

Hot dang, that was one frustrating question I had why we were locked into 3.14.79 kernel (though I'm not complaining, as that kernel works well on all old ^& new machines I have). Way to go, Bill!!!

On Notecase, glad you got it working, Musher! I was on the road for the past two days, and now I'm back home I can give some stuff a go. Glad the Notecase is resolved. Also, good job on the Abiword....I'm still debating whether to go the whole hog way of Libre- or Open- Office, or just stick to Abiword.

@Oscar, thanks for the directions on the jwmrc-tray. As far as Geany icons, dang, I didn't even notice they were missing, lol, until now & just looking at them. Thanks, Tttuuxxx for the fix!

Ok, I've got a question for you all, that I've never asked before, but I am sure there is an easy answer and I've been too dumb to figure it out: why is it that in URXVT terminal emulator, you can not copy and/or paste code to and/or from it? Drives me nuts, in all pups with URXVT. Like when I want to post something to this board from URXVT when something happens, and I cannot copy it. What am I doing wrong or how to do it?? I am glad we have 'lxterminal' available in this dpup-stretch, because copy and pasting to/from it is no problem. But does or has URXVT had this capability all this time & I haven't figured it out? Thanks!!
Thanks.

belham2

#27 Post by belham2 »

ttuuxxx wrote:

Hi Tuuxxx et al,

Ok, here's the problem with .jwmrc I've been mentioning several times now:

1) I just downloaded ttuuxxx's geanyicons.pet fix. (same thing will happen if I download/compile/install anything and/or if I also installing anything from PPM)

2) I install it (or 'whatever')

3) As soon as the install completes, .jwmrc reverts back to the 'build-settings' that has all the icons missing from "Menu" (that I mentioned in the other thread----I assume we all see this with a new build):

For the main 'Categories" in Menu:
--Desktop
--System
--Utility
--Fun
--Exit

For items in the overall Categories, these also are missing:
System----->Task Manager
Utility-------->PBackup and Sync
Utility-------->URXVT Terminal Emulator
File------------>File Manager PCManFM
File------------>Gdmap Graphical Disk Usage
Graphic----->PeasyScale JPEG Resizer
Graphic----->Screeny Capture Windows & Fullscreen
Business--->Xcalc Scientific Calculator
Network----->PcurlFTP file sharing
Internet----->HexChat
Internet----->Ssh-gui secure remote login
Multimedia->Pcdripper CD song ripper
Multimedia->Pmetatagger audio file tag editor
Multimedia->Retrovol sound mixer

4) WHY? Despite me saving a new .jwmrc and having no "old" .jwnrc (remember, the 'jwmrc-previous' already has the corrected info) I can see anywhere in .root, how can this behavior be happening? More importantly, how do I stop it. As it stands, every time this happens, I have to go into .root, open the .jwmrc-previous (there is no .jwmrc original), copy everything (all the corrections I made overcoming the above problems), and then re-copy this back into the ".jwmrc. Then, lastly, I've got to restart the windown manager via the tray, and everything will be re-set to how I changed it.

Anyone?? Even my savefile has my corrected .jwmrc in it. How can Rox be pulling the 'build .jwmrc' when it no longer exists in .root? Could it be located somewhere else???? It's definitely not in the ~/.jwm folder. And there's nothing in the /etc/jwm folder except the needed 'system.jwmrc' file. So, I'm confused..... :?

belham2

Any fix for what the PPM GUI shows?

#28 Post by belham2 »

Also, I know it's not important, but has anyone been able to fix this since I (and Musher) mentioned it back in the woof-CE thread? Every single item you search for in PPM shows it as "ALREADY INSTALLED". Here's an example for VLC, which is nowhere in this build:
Attachments
PPM-Wrongly-Showing-Everything-Installed-.png
(206.7 KiB) Downloaded 573 times

OscarTalks

#29 Post by OscarTalks »

I compiled pmcputemp but there are a few problems with it.
When I open the information windows for Version and Sensors they open, but when I try to close them they don't close on first click and on second click pmcputemp crashes. Perhaps this is a compatibility issue with the recent JWM because it does not happen in my earlier Puppies?

By the way, the pmcputemp in petbuilds is version 50 but git gives me version 67 which is the one I have been using.

@ belham2
I think it is more of a problem because we are developing, JWM restores backups that we have already ditched. Because I remaster my main .sfs as I go along I can always copy my latest JWM config files out of /initrd/pup_ro2 and restart WM or X and this brings all my fixes back in an instant. I also had this problem today when JWM tried to send me back in time.
Oscar in England

ttuuxxx

#30 Post by ttuuxxx »

belham2 wrote:
Hi Tuuxxx et al,

1) I just downloaded ttuuxxx's geanyicons.pet fix. (same thing will happen if I download/compile/install anything and/or if I also installing anything from PPM)

3) As soon as the install completes, .jwmrc reverts back to the 'build-settings' that has all the icons missing from "Menu" (that I mentioned in the other thread----I assume we all see this with a new build):

--Desktop
--System
--Utility
--Fun
--Exit

System----->Task Manager
Internet----->Hex Chat

4) WHY? Despite me saving a new .jwmrc and having no "old" .jwnrc (remember, the 'jwmrc-previous' already has the corrected info) I can see anywhere in .root, how can this behavior be happening? More importantly, how do I stop it. As it stands, every time this happens, I have to go into .root, open the .jwmrc-previous (there is no .jwmrc original), copy everything (all the corrections I made overcoming the above problems), and then re-copy this back into the ".jwmrc. Then, lastly, I've got to restart the windown manager via the tray, and everything will be re-set to how I changed it.

Anyone?? Even my savefile has my corrected .jwmrc in it. How can Rox be pulling the 'build .jwmrc' when it no longer exists in .root? Could it be located somewhere else???? It's definitely not in the ~/.jwm folder. And there's nothing in the /etc/jwm folder except the needed 'system.jwmrc' file. So, I'm confused..... :?
Yes its somewhere else its in a few locations the .jwmrc is just a temporary file that is over written everytime you fixmenus and restart jwm.
Here's a fix for the 5 main icons in the menu. I also made a location for you to add some fixes :), figured let you have have a swing at the easy ones :), basically you'll need to go to usr/share/applications and open the files like Hexchat and locate the icons and make sure the full path to the icon is there, then add it to this pet, I already made the directory structure in the pet, just drop the updated files and rebuild the pet. Anyways I did the hardest ones the five I did, one was a file and the other are share links, basically wrong file names/icon sizes.
Attachments
Some-Icon-fixes-01.pet
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

belham2

#31 Post by belham2 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi Tuuxxx et al,

--Desktop
--System
--Utility
--Fun
--Exit

System----->Task Manager
Internet----->Hex Chat

Yes its somewhere else its in a few locations the .jwmrc is just a temporary file that is over written everytime you fixmenus and restart jwm.
Here's a fix for the 5 main icons in the menu. I also made a location for you to add some fixes :), figured let you have have a swing at the easy ones :), basically you'll need to go to usr/share/applications and open the files like Hexchat and locate the icons and make sure the full path to the icon is there, then add it to this pet, I already made the directory structure in the pet, just drop the updated files and rebuild the pet. Anyways I did the hardest ones the five I did, one was a file and the other are share links, basically wrong file names/icon sizes.
Hi Ttuuxxx,

Thanks, but I've already had all the icons throughout the system fixed since we started this. What was bugging me is/was this constant re-setting whenever I played with PPM, and luckily I just ~30 mins ago figured out why. There was a stray blank .desktop file in /usr/share/applications that I had not noticed, and for some reason when playing with PPM and installing stuff, or downloading/compiling & installing something, this stray file caused .jwmrc to re-set. Well, removed that stray .desktop file, and all is good with the world now as all of my previous menus icon changes and fixes are now locked no matter if it is a re-start and/or a window manager or graphical server restart. Thanks again.

What would really help my over-challenged brain if is you, oscar, bill or musher could get a video player to compile. I took a stab at vlc from debian.stretch repo and all the dependencies, and this build of mine just wouldn't do it. I'll take a stab at compiling mplayer maybe...unless there is just a simple .pet or .deb roaming around for a media player anywhere, lol?? :D

Also, Sunday evening I took peebee's great pupmd5sum.sh and made some script modifications to it so that it now handles not only the normal md5 and sha1, but also sha256 and sha512. Figured some people like me would want that since a lot of download sites (i.e. firefox) are all sha256 or sha512 now. Since smokley01 just got me set up on his site yesterrday, I'll upload it so if any others want it (it works across all pups--I've tested it in ~8 so far).

Anyhow, thanks again. I'm gonna try to make an ISO of all these dpup-stretch changes I've (and some I've incorporated from you guys) so far and put it up here in this thread & see if we can others to download it & start sharing in the problem-solving fun. Unless you think I shouldn't and we should wait until more changes are put into the git build downloads??

musher0

Re: Any fix for what the PPM GUI shows?

#32 Post by musher0 »

belham2 wrote:Also, I know it's not important, but has anyone been able to fix this since I (and Musher) mentioned it back in the woof-CE thread? Every single item you search for in PPM shows it as "ALREADY INSTALLED". Here's an example for VLC, which is nowhere in this build:
Hi belham2.

Yeah, you insist! :)
You click on the program in PPM's list anyway and PPM
will download and install it. That message is not a padlock,
it's just a "road sign".

Eventually, someone will have to clean the /root/.packages files and
directory. Moi, I suppose... But that can come a bit later, once our little
team have all agreed that this Dpup Stretch-7 is presentable to the public.

~~~~~~~
NOTE 1
Your rate of success will vary with PPM -- NOT because of the PPM script.

In addition to your remark, I found that some progs are listed and some
are not.

Of those listed, I was able to download and install osmo and gnumeric
with the Stretch's PPM, but not abiword.

rednotebook was not in the PPM, but it is in the Debian repos.

As a strategy to keep the iso small, IMO we should only include the progs
that PPM doesn't have on offer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE 2

Get new reading glasses! ;)

I tried to compile notecase, but I couldn't and left the job to be picked up
by a better dev.

The outliner package that I put together above is RedNotebook. It seems
to be notecase-compatible, but it is NOT THE notecase prog.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#33 Post by musher0 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
belham2 wrote: What would really help my over-challenged brain if is you, oscar, bill or musher could get a video player to compile. I took a stab at vlc from debian.stretch repo and all the dependencies, and this build of mine just wouldn't do it. I'll take a stab at compiling mplayer maybe...unless there is just a simple .pet or .deb roaming around for a media player anywhere, lol?? :D

Also, Sunday evening I took peebee's great pupmd5sum.sh and made some script modifications to it so that it now handles not only the normal md5 and sha1, but also sha256 and sha512. Figured some people like me would want that since a lot of download sites (i.e. firefox) are all sha256 or sha512 now. Since smokley01 just got me set up on his site yesterrday, I'll upload it so if any others want it (it works across all pups--I've tested it in ~8 so far).

Anyhow, thanks again. I'm gonna try to make an ISO of all these dpup-stretch changes I've (and some I've incorporated from you guys) so far and put it up here in this thread & see if we can others to download it & start sharing in the problem-solving fun. Unless you think I shouldn't and we should wait until more changes are put into the git build downloads??
Feel free to put anything you want related on here :) also why not just use Gnome-Mplayer? This is a pet I've been using, it works. Haven't really tested it for errors but it plays movies fine.
Its not one of my pets, Just one I've been using since I started this. Oh yeah you might want to make it default media player. :)
ttuuxxx?

You forgot something!!! Please see attached!!! :lol:
Gnome-player can't run without mplayer...

Also this is not a rummage sale in a remote village of the Gatineau Hills.
We can't just suggest to Puppyists a prog of unknown version and origin,
even if it works.

If we can install a package from the Pup's own PPM, we install a
package from the Pup's own PPM -- we are building a new distro
and we want everything to be as consistent as possible.

Sorry for being such a grouch, but I know I'm right in this case.

Best regards.
Attachments
Where-is-mplayer!.jpg
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ttuuxxx

#34 Post by ttuuxxx »

musher0 wrote: You forgot something!!! Please see attached!!! :lol:
Gnome-player can't run without mplayer...

Sorry for being such a grouch, but I know I'm right in this case.

Best regards.
LoL i forgot I compiled Mplayer, Ok two things about it, one thing its large 8MB due to the fact it uses its own ffmpeg, It couldn't compile with the one included in the distro. Another thing the main Mplayer bin file looks like a library file, but it works, It works with the mplater GUI that is included (I added a few themes that I compressed down to size, Basically like 5 themes in the space of 1) and it works with Gnome-mplayer.
ttuuxxx
http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/WoofCe/mpla ... 5-i486.pet

I also have mecoder don't know if anyone wants that. If so I could upload it.
Attachments
gnome-mplayer-1.0.8-i686.pet
(220.51 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

musher0

#35 Post by musher0 »

Ok, then.

But what version of mplayer are you using? On which Puppy did you build it?
Come on, man, spit it out! :lol: We need details!!!

Or I'll make my own sfs of mplayer -1.3 with gmplayer (14 Mb's) available
to the general public! Actually... :twisted:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... nvJhYEQ7ly
I prepared it from scratch for the Puduan Jessie-6.0 I built last August.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~