Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 46 of 47 [705 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47 Next
Author Message
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 902

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 18:23    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:
This is a remaster of ttuuxxx stretch-7.0.0a1 with the fixes/changes suggested in this thread. It is the puppy I have transitioned to, replacing Precise 5.7.1

Posting this here in the hopes of saving someone the chore of reading through this whole thread to find the fixes applied to this remaster.
This is ttuuxxx work with no changes except those listed at the bottom of this post.

The remaster is available here as stretch-7.0.0a1.r01.iso
md5 - 10839e54188d25cb1d0323493c4b6774
Size - 278.5MB
This puppy is 32-bit
All credit goes to ttuuxx & co. who developed stretch-7.0.0a1 Razz

The following changes were applied.
1. Geany config changed per musher0 suggestion
2. Delayed run bug fix when installing additional applets
3. Battery icon not showing in tray
4. Installed missing gtk hash utility that is common in puppies
5. "Fail to launch" menu fix
6. Printer filter error due to bug in ghostscript

.


I did a manual frugal install of this.

Had to run simple network to get Ethernet and sound card wizard to get sound, but both worked fine after that. Tested browser, playing mp3's and playing video. All worked fine.

Looks good. I hope a Stretch version makes it to an official release sometime.

Anything in particular that needs testing?

Dan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 643
Location: Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 18:44    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:


I did a manual frugal install of this.

Had to run simple network to get Ethernet and sound card wizard to get sound, but both worked fine after that. Tested browser, playing mp3's and playing video. All worked fine.

Looks good. I hope a Stretch version makes it to an official release sometime.

Anything in particular that needs testing?

Dan


Hi Dan,

If you could try installing a printer and print a page. It should work but would nice to see it confirmed with something other than a Brother <g>

Thanks

.

_________________
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 4206
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 20:42    Post subject:  

All thanks and credit to those who add fixes to this release.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 1460
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 01:13    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:

The remaster is available here as stretch-7.0.0a1.r01.iso
md5 - 10839e54188d25cb1d0323493c4b6774
Size - 278.5MB
This puppy is 32-bit
All credit goes to ttuuxx & co. who developed stretch-7.0.0a1 Razz


Cups working with my Brother laser printer Hl2130 and Hp all-in-one Photosmart C3190! I used the same savefolders previously saved with OscarTalks' build. This could be considered a main puppy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 643
Location: Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:44    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:


Cups working with my Brother laser printer Hl2130 and Hp all-in-one Photosmart C3190! I used the same savefolders previously saved with OscarTalks' build. This could be considered a main puppy.


Hi watchdog,
Thanks for the report about CUPS working with the HP Photosmart!
Looks like printing has been fixed.

There are still a couple things that need fixed in ttuuxxx stretch
1. x̶s̶a̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶
2. gtk-dialog upgrade should be added (I somehow missed this when doing remaster)

I̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶x̶s̶a̶n̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶.̶

The gtk-dialog update was suggested by zigbert. I have not tested it yet but zigbert says it works fine.

.

_________________
.

Last edited by perdido on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 20:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 1460
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 14:03    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:


Hi watchdog,
Thanks for the report about CUPS working with the HP Photosmart!
Looks like printing has been fixed.


I cannot confirm. Brother printer is ok but the Hp printer has the "Filter failed" error; from log:

Code:
Failed to send: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files


Code:
PID XXXXX (/usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster) stopped with status 13.


EDIT: I got the HP Photosmart C3190 working with a gutenprint driver of another printer. I uninstalled hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet and only installed (for scanner) hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet.

EDIT2: it also works with the right driver installing hplip_print-3.16.5.pet. The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.

Quote:
There are still a couple things that need fixed in ttuuxxx stretch
1. xsane is not working yet
<cut>
If someone finds a xsane fix I hope they post it to this thread.


It's easy:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/liblcms2.so.2.0.8 /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 643
Location: Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 19:43    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:


EDIT: I got the HP Photosmart C3190 working with a gutenprint driver of another printer. I uninstalled hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet and only installed (for scanner) hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet.

EDIT2: it also works with the right driver installing hplip_print-3.16.5.pet. The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.

Quote:
There are still a couple things that need fixed in ttuuxxx stretch
1. xsane is not working yet
<cut>
If someone finds a xsane fix I hope they post it to this thread.


It's easy:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/liblcms2.so.2.0.8 /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1


Thanks once again Smile

Printing working on the HP printers is good to see!

Your symlink fix for xsane works fine also Smile
Added fix to remaster post to apply after download

Much appreciated watchdog!

.

Last edited by perdido on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 07:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 11638
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 21:14    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.

Code:
ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups | grep not
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 1460
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 00:10    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
watchdog wrote:
The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.

Code:
ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups | grep not


Code:
# ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups | grep not
   libjpeg.so.8 => not found


I uninstalled hplip_print-3.16.5.pet and hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet and installed again hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet. Copied in /usr/lib libjpeg.so.8.0.2 and the symlink libjpeg.so.8 from xenialpup-7.0.8.1. Now my HP Photosmart C3190 works with the last hplip provided.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 1460
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 14:10    Post subject:  

Does someone want to play with pulseaudio-4.0 with stretch puppy? I have tested it with skype4.3 (still working). Install pulseaudio-4.0-tahr606-i386.pet:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=947288#947288

There is a missing lib and a symlink which you can copy from tahr 6.0.6 main sfs in /usr/lib:

libspeexdsp.so.1.5.0 and libspeexdsp.so.1

Now pulseaudio-4.0 should work in stretch puppy. It could be useful for someone experimenting with recent firefox's builds. You can also load a qt4 sfs and install the base skype-4.3.0.37.pet from:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4UZBeFkMHhnRHZqbTJwX3M/view?usp=sharing

Run fixmenus and restart X. Skype 4.3 is in Menu-Internet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 902

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 15:22    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:
dancytron wrote:


I did a manual frugal install of this.

Had to run simple network to get Ethernet and sound card wizard to get sound, but both worked fine after that. Tested browser, playing mp3's and playing video. All worked fine.

Looks good. I hope a Stretch version makes it to an official release sometime.

Anything in particular that needs testing?

Dan


Hi Dan,

If you could try installing a printer and print a page. It should work but would nice to see it confirmed with something other than a Brother <g>

Thanks

.


Sorry, was gone a couple of days. Sorry again, I don't have a printer hooked to this computer. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 643
Location: Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 07:02    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
perdido wrote:

Hi Dan,

If you could try installing a printer and print a page. It should work but would nice to see it confirmed with something other than a Brother <g>

Thanks

.


Sorry, was gone a couple of days. Sorry again, I don't have a printer hooked to this computer. Sad


It worked out ok, watchdog confirmed working HP printing and provided a fix for using the latest hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet
He also provided the fix for the xsane scanning program.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
davids45


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 988
Location: Chatswood, NSW

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 19:07    Post subject: Stretch Pup 7.0.0.2a
Subject description: Problems - 1 fixed, 1 still annoying
 

G'day,

Using makepup-0.12, I made a StretchPup (7002a) and included some pets to fix the application problems I had found earlier in Stretches during the build.

Printing = "filter failed" Embarassed : I had added the older ghostscript pet files to the build and did not include the default faulty ghostscript version. But I omitted a pet to add a link missing in /lib so had to do this extra fix once the new Stretch was up and running. This entailed making a link in /lib from the lib file "ld-2.24.so" called "ld-lsb.so.3" (screenshot).

'Open-file' = still a mess Mad : I don't know how to fix this 'Places' clutter where every partition on my computer is listed in the left panel (screenshot)? So the place I normally want to open a file from, or save something to (my main data partition, sda5) is off-panel at the bottom of this unwanted list. This is not a problem in Ubuntu-Pups where I can add my wanted partitions to the left panel which starts out empty and uncluttered. I don't think this clutter of places are mounted so it strikes me as odd to have them all here.

Apart from this major annoyance as a user, Stretch Pup is or would be fine for what I do on this computer.

David S.
link-for-printing.jpg
 Description   missing link (ld-lsb.so.3) added to make printing work (Epson-XP200) - my oversight during building this Stretch Pup.
 Filesize   116.5 KB
 Viewed   165 Time(s)

link-for-printing.jpg

file-open-cluttered.jpg
 Description   'Places' panel over-filled with unnecessary entries so opening or saving a file is not a simple process like it is on previous Pups.
 Filesize   143.37 KB
 Viewed   164 Time(s)

file-open-cluttered.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 643
Location: Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 20:36    Post subject: Re: Stretch Pup 7.0.0.2a
Subject description: Problems - 1 fixed, 1 still annoying
 

davids45 wrote:
G'day,
Printing = "filter failed" Embarassed : I had added the older ghostscript pet files to the build and did not include the default faulty ghostscript version. But I omitted a pet to add a link missing in /lib so had to do this extra fix once the new Stretch was up and running. This entailed making a link in /lib from the lib file "ld-2.24.so" called "ld-lsb.so.3" (screenshot).
David S.


Hi David S.
Thanks for sharing the Epson printer link fix!

"Places" such as in abiword-->file-->open behaves similar in ttuuxxx stretch
##
EDIT: Added yours and watchdog's printer fixes as a pet to the remaster of ttuuxxx stretch-7.0.0a1 post.
.

_________________
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 1256

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 22:25    Post subject: Re: Stretch Pup 7.0.0.2a
Subject description: Problems - 1 fixed, 1 still annoying
 

davids45 wrote:
'Open-file' = still a mess Mad : I don't know how to fix this 'Places' clutter where every partition on my computer is listed in the left panel (screenshot)? So the place I normally want to open a file from, or save something to (my main data partition, sda5) is off-panel at the bottom of this unwanted list. This is not a problem in Ubuntu-Pups where I can add my wanted partitions to the left panel which starts out empty and uncluttered. I don't think this clutter of places are mounted so it strikes me as odd to have them all here.

Hi David,

Just out of curiosity, why do you put each puppy on a separate partition? I usually have 4 or 5 puppies in separate folders on sda2 as ext4 and boot them all with grub4dos (the bootloader is on sda1 as fat32 with freedos and my main puppy), never had any issues doing it this way on any computer. Is it because you have only tried legacy grub and haven't tried grub4dos bootloader yet? I don't think there's a limit to how many puppies you can have on one partition with it, if you want to try my alternative solution. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 46 of 47 [705 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0853s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0140s) ][ GZIP on ]