compaq evo no pcmcia?

Booting, installing, newbie
specialpuppy

#31 Post by specialpuppy »

yes all my other devices have a GOOD ip address???

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@specialpuppy: Have you addressed the issue of WEP encryption and whether your WiFi router is configured to use it? If this is a G-mode card, it may only work with WEP.
Any update on this?

[Edit] I guess not.

specialpuppy

#33 Post by specialpuppy »

thats why i pasted what i had. Im not sure how to do what you are implying?
sorry.
steve

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

WiFi adapters and routers use different types of encryption to communicate. Your old PCMCIA card may only work with WEP. You can google WEP for more details.

You need to open your router's administration web page to see what kind of encryption it supports. It is probably at 192.168.1.0.

I don't think that you have identified the Puppy connection tool that you are using. Does it allow you to specifically request WEP encryption?

This would be easier if you scrapped the PCMCIA card and got a modern USB WiFi adapter that would be compatible with Slacko 630.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

While I fully accept what Bill is saying about the PCMCIA card (it is, after all, considered ancient tech by today's standards), I just want to mention that my own NetGear WPN-511 is connecting through our router via WPA2 encryption.....and auto-connects every time without fail.

However, it might work out better going the USB adapter route. I can recommend two that'll definitely work:-

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/TL-WN725N.html

The TP-Link WN-725N is a 'nano'-sized dongle, which can be plugged in and forgotten about, it's that small. For all that it has a very good range, and Bill does a range of drivers for the 'r8188eu' chipset it has.....although the chipset has been supported in the Linux kernel since Tahrpup's 3.14.20 kernel that I know of.

Or, there's this 'mini' design:-

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/ ... 3100M.aspx

.....from NetGear, again. This one uses the in-kernel 'rtl8192cu' driver; I use this one myself in Slacko 5.6.0, and it connects straightaway using Simple Network Setup.

Bill does a range of 'rtl8192cu' drivers for various kernels; Slacko 630's version is at the top of the list in this thread:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100675

Hope some of that helps!

Mike. :wink:

rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

Since Mike has confirmed that this should NOT be a WEP issue, your next step should be to reboot everything, including the router.

specialpuppy

#37 Post by specialpuppy »

ok thanks gentlemen, ill give it a try and let you know.

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

Yes, I agree with Bill on that one. Rebooting your router should be performed on a regular basis anyway; I reboot ours about once a month, and it's surprising how much more responsive everything seems after doing so.

specialpuppy

#39 Post by specialpuppy »

Well, thanks for all your helpbut... I just think I'll give up on getting this to work with a wifi card and get a usb wifi.

Cheers Steve

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Steve.

That's probably a wise choice..! :lol: Remember, the adapters that I've listed I know will work. If you want to try something else (and 'el cheapos' from the Far East are not a very good idea), use this site:-

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page

.....to try and figure out the chipset for any given device before you purchase. If you need any help, just give me a shout.

I always take the view that if I have to purchase something like this, I'd rather take my time, do my research, find something of good quality that I know will work, and, if necessary, save up and pay a bit more for it. I'd sooner make this kind of purchase once.....and be done with it.

specialpuppy

#41 Post by specialpuppy »

Well Thank you Mike. BTW how do I find what chipset will work with what I am using?

Steve

specialpuppy

#42 Post by specialpuppy »

Hey Mike, thanks very much appreiciated. I am now resonding here with the laptop with the tplink :D
Thanks for all you guys' help
Steve

Mike Walsh

#43 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Steve.

Ah, good; glad to hear you're all sorted. You shouldn't have any problems at all with that TP-Link; you'll get years of service out of it. And like I said, because it's so small you can just leave it where it is, and forget about it.

You'd have to be really unlucky to catch it on anything!

Enjoy.