Trinitydog and Stretchdog

Promote Puppy !
labbe5

Trinitydog and Stretchdog

#1 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

Reading your Sparkylinux 5 review, i decided to let you know about some progress made by developers of Dog-based OS, with Fredx at the helm.

As of today, there is a new entrant, called Trinitydog, based on Trinity desktop environment, a fork of KDE3. There are not many Trinity-based OS, and adding to it such useful utilities as AptToSfs, AptToSfsForFullInstall, Create module from changes, Quick remaster GUI, RemasterDog, Make ISO from frugal install, it makes for a compelling and versatile proposition.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111199

As an even lighter proposition, there is the newest entrant, called Stretchdog, based on stable Debian 9, unconventional by Puppy and Dog-based OS standards. What makes it so special is its installation script, called mklive-stretch, based on Debian debootstrap : it's a very convenient and fast method (Fredx). Under heavy developement by Fredx and friends, Stretchdog is past testing. Actually, i use it right now, having added firmware-linux-nonfree to have wifi working, and Slim, as my dependable display manager and greeter.

Installation time depends on your internet speed, it can be between a few minutes to 20 minutes or so. All you have to do is make the script executable (chmod +x) , and launch it with ./. As a result, you get an ISO file (165MB), and all that is needed for a frugal install. After you have Stretchdog up and running, it is up to you to add as many applications you want with Synaptic Package Manager (included), or using APT, or keep it lean, with Firefox as browser, and Dog utilities.

If you decide to do a review to take into account progress made by this dedicated team of developers and testers, headed by Fredx, feel free to add your comments, since a full review would dig deeper into the inner workings of this one-of-a-kind OS.

As a final note, there is not so a steep learning curve before fully enjoying Dog-based OS, for knowledgeable Linux users, it is just a matter of learning a few tricks here and there. The desktop environment is a classic Openbox, Trinity, and if you feel trying fvwm-crystal, just try it with Trinitydog, it works out-of-the-box, an eye-candy desktop environment for low-specs laptops, netbooks and desktops.

A reader,
Labbe5

Galbi

#2 Post by Galbi »

+1
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

rcrsn51

Re: Trinitydog and Stretchdog

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

labbe5 wrote:...having added firmware-linux-nonfree to have wifi working...
For the sake of newcomers to this project, you need to elaborate and specify your wifi adapter.

In general, the firmware-linux-nonfree package will NOT get people's wifi working.

labbe5

Reply by reviewer

#4 Post by labbe5 »

Thanks for your note about Trinitydog and Stretchdog distros. I will check them out.

Best wishes,

Jack

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

Debian Live, Sparky, Trinity/KDE, Synaptic, Apt and Debootstrap !!! Off-Topic-Conversations or Other Distros would have been a better choice of forum section to post in. Or better still over on the Debian Forums.