Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 22:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using an older Puppy, like Racy, instead
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 3150
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017, 07:01    Post subject:  

I've recently got shot of my Slacko 570 install. I was running this alongside rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2 (based on 570.....both use the same kernel, the k3.10.32.) Try as I might, I could not keep the two Pups in their own separate partitions; one would insist on putting its save-file/folder in the other one's partition....which made life increasingly interesting, since I run pretty much the same range of apps in all my Pups. It made it very awkward to load the same SFS in both Pups.....

I've replaced it with its very capable immediate predecessor, Slacko 560, which uses the 3.10.5 kernel. Interestingly, it appears to be more capable of handling many of my WINE Windows apps than its successor did.....which is odd, to say the least, considering it's older!. Yet because it uses the same glibc (2.15), I can still run my favourite Chromium-based browsers.

Nice one! Experimenting with different Pups is something I don't think I shall ever tire of..... Needless to say, 560 is getting a lot of use at the moment. I'm having fun with it.....and it's very definitely a 'daily driver', since absolutely everything works as it should. Even my NetGear USB wireless adapter, with the rtl8192cu chipset, runs without issue; although I used rcrsn51's re-compiled driver for this in 570, it point-blank refused to behave itself.


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
rockedge


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 411
Location: Connecticut, United States

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017, 07:58    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Will people use Puppy as their main OS if they have the latest machines? I doubt it.


I have a really new Dell Optiplex 990 quad core 3.2 gHz with 8gigs RAM
Runs Windows 10 or Ubuntu 32bit or 64bit really well......BUT

I run Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.5 and now Tahr 6.0.6 on it full time....sometimes I'll run other puppies on it like Lucid 5.2.8 because I set it up to run Chess engines with Xboard.

The Tahrpups absolutely rule in speed and reliability and on this machine is MONSTER fast. Web servers, databases,Camera security systems with remote motion detection, home automation....you name it.....it gets run eventually. Now with this pulseaudio pet I recently found I can run the newest Firefox with sound along with Palemoon or Chromium also sound enabled.
I highly recommend Puppy Linux with newer Kernels on most really new machines...because the speed will make almost ANY machine running Windows 7 or 10 seem broken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 3150
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:01    Post subject:  

Well, I guess I'll agree with ya there, rockedge.

Pup makes my 12-yr old Compaq Presario desktop PC give any modern Windows-based machine a darn good run for its money.....so I can only guess at what it must be like on a far newer, more up-to-date, modern piece of hardware. My old rig flies as it is (following a fair bit of upgrading, this last couple of years).....so Pup must be off in the stratosphere with new stuff!

You'll never catch me returning to Windows.


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2187
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar 2017, 05:20    Post subject:  

Running Wary from a very old MMC card size 1GB now. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nitehawk


Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Posts: 655
Location: West Central Florida

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 10:28    Post subject:  

Thanks for reminding me of Racy. I've been trying to fix up an old Dell Optiplex 270,...and a real glitchy laptop (HP pavilion dv2000). The Dell has something like 2.8Ghz,..and only 1G ram. Laptop is 1.6Ghz with 2G ram.

Plain vanilla Debian did OK....but I wanted something (like a Puppy) that would be fast and responsive. Tahr 602 did OK on the Dell,...but wasn't all that responsive. Maybe Racy will run better,....I'm fixing to find out.

EDIT: Well,..Racy worked fine on the old Dell. Couldn't get my resolution right, though. I'll just switch it out with an older monitor (should work then).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ac2011

Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 16:55    Post subject:  

I've been using Fluppy (a Jemimah-rolled puplet) for years on a couple of Core2Duo laptops, now running at 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM.

With some careful tweaks this distro is up to date in security terms and running the latest version of the Pale Moon browser that was released less than a week ago. My entire remaster, with dozens of applications including LibreOffice, WINE, GIMP, media players, etc. is 650MB and can be run entirely from RAM if required.

One of the laptops is now over 10 years old and has been used pretty much every day of that time, connected to an external HD monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. It's still my main work machine and runs subjectively faster than the Windows-based computers in the offices I sometimes visit. My wife says it's much snappier than the computer she uses at work too.

I know I could upgrade (the laptops and/or the OS), but I haven't yet found a compelling reason why I should.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 2020
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 19:18    Post subject: Old Puppy with new browser  

Hi all,

Nice work ac2011. Yah, the "old" Puppies did a great job of providing users with the applications they needed on computers lacking the gobs of RAM required by the current crop of applications. And Fluppy was one of jemimah's great creations.

With most applications the difference between the "old" version and the current version is incremental: something only a hard-core user of that type of application would notice. The two exceptions are security and web-browsers.

Intrigued by ac2011's mention that he was running the current Palemoon on the now 7 year old Fluppy by employing some tweaks, I did a Wellminded Search, http://wellminded.net63.net/ on "Fluppy glib". The reason current browsers generally won't run under older Puppies is that the older Puppies don't have the graphic libraries (glibs) required by the newer browsers. And even if the newer glibs could be installed, doing so could break the builtin applications requiring the older glibs. So I wondered how ac2011 did it. For those interested, he provides his "recipe" here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=907538#907538.

Very nice ac2011.

mikesLr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2187
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 19:38    Post subject: Re: Old Puppy with new browser  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi all,

Nice work ac2011. Yah, the "old" Puppies did a great job of providing users with the applications they needed on computers lacking the gobs of RAM required by the current crop of applications. And Fluppy was one of jemimah's great creations.

With most applications the difference between the "old" version and the current version is incremental: something only a hard-core user of that type of application would notice. The two exceptions are security and web-browsers.

Intrigued by ac2011's mention that he was running the current Palemoon on the now 7 year old Fluppy by employing some tweaks, I did a Wellminded Search, http://wellminded.net63.net/ on "Fluppy glib". The reason current browsers generally won't run under older Puppies is that the older Puppies don't have the graphic libraries (glibs) required by the newer browsers. And even if the newer glibs could be installed, doing so could break the builtin applications requiring the older glibs. So I wondered how ac2011 did it. For those interested, he provides his "recipe" here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=907538#907538.

Very nice ac2011.

mikesLr

Will this work if one, instead of installing the pet to a temp folder, load the contents as an sfs on the fly?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ac2011

Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:29    Post subject: Re: Old Puppy with new browser  

mikeslr wrote:

Very nice ac2011.
mikesLr


Thanks - and thanks for digging out that link. Watchdog has since been providing regular Pale Moon update packages using the same method.

It never seemed sane to me to upgrade an entire computer, operating system and applications just to run one resource-hungry new application (i.e. web browser). But I suppose eventually I'll have to do just that, whenever the final 32-bit Linux browser goes end-of-line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ac2011

Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:32    Post subject: Re: Old Puppy with new browser  

nic007 wrote:
Will this work if one, instead of installing the pet to a temp folder, load the contents as an sfs on the fly?


No reason why not, as long as you don't mount it over the top of the existing GlibC files. There may be background processes launching that might otherwise get confused.

Don't forget the important tweak to the plugin-wrapper to get later plugins working by the same method too (e.g. Flash).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2187
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:35    Post subject: Re: Old Puppy with new browser  

ac2011 wrote:
mikeslr wrote:

Very nice ac2011.
mikesLr


Thanks - and thanks for digging out that link. Watchdog has since been providing regular Pale Moon update packages using the same method.

It never seemed sane to me to upgrade an entire computer, operating system and applications just to run one resource-hungry new application (i.e. web browser). But I suppose eventually I'll have to do just that, whenever the final 32-bit Linux browser goes end-of-line.

Do these palemoon pets produced by Watchdog, include the necessary (newer) libraries, ie no need to install the lib packages seperately?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ac2011

Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:39    Post subject: Re: Old Puppy with new browser  

nic007 wrote:
Do these palemoon pets produced by Watchdog, include the necessary (newer) libraries, ie no need to install the lib packages seperately?


Yes. Follow mikeslr's link earlier and read that thread to the end. You may need some other updates (e.g. dbus) but those are also detailed in the thread and aren't intrusive to install.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2187
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:44    Post subject: Re: Old Puppy with new browser  

ac2011 wrote:
nic007 wrote:
Do these palemoon pets produced by Watchdog, include the necessary (newer) libraries, ie no need to install the lib packages seperately?


Yes. Follow mikeslr's link earlier and read that thread to the end. You may need some other updates (e.g. dbus) but those are also detailed in the thread and aren't intrusive to install.

Great, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Robert123

Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 370
Location: Pacific

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017, 04:09    Post subject:  

At the moment I'm using Jemimiah's Fluppy 013 with Watchdog's latest Palemoon .pet on my E625 Emachines laptop and it just flies.

Also had 560 slacko running on it working better than any modern puppy.

_________________
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10
s57(2018)barebonehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 1291

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017, 12:04    Post subject:  

Robert123 your signature keeps changing Shocked or is there more than one Robert and I'm confusing you guys Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0583s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0042s) ][ GZIP on ]