How to wipe my laptop and install Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
meowza2017

How to wipe my laptop and install Puppy?

#1 Post by meowza2017 »

I am so new to this... I have an older HP pavillion that currently runs XP. I want to wipe it and start new with puppy, Problem is, i dont have a cd, but a usb stick thing ( sorry not great with terminology) Can anyone help me? i have tried downloading a thousand different OS and i cant use any of them... PLEASE HELP

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Are you unable to D/L an iso and burn a CD?
In Windows, burn it with BurnCDCC only.
Nero or WMP won't do it correctly.
Post the machine specs, we'll find a Puppy for it.
Probably Wary should work.
Also, there is a Windows installer for Puppy.
I've never used it, as I have no Windows.
It's an .exe. Just click and go.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

I will not recommend removing XP from an old machine. Rather install puppy on another partition (or same partition). Frugal install to be preferred. Make a dual-boot machine with two operating systems so you can choose which to boot. If your machine can boot from USB stick a good option may be to install puppy on it. Any case we need more information of your setup.

puppyluvr

#4 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Agreed on leaving XP intact.
You may need ndiswrapper for WiFi drivers on an old machine.
Most users don't install Puppy, or if they do, they do a frugal install and dual boot.
Biggest thing is how much ram you have, you may need a swapfile.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

Three (3) replies so far and none of a receipt how the guy can install Puppy. :roll:

He said, he owns a USB Stick, but no CD (probably means not to have a CD drive - as he stated not being great on terms).

Since he owns a USB Stick (usb flash drive) all he needs to know is how to get the Puppy from the downloaded ISO onto the USB Stick using Windows XP.

I would like to recommend to download

LASSIE-002-PAE.exe and installing this derivative of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 under the use of Windows XP. It will keep Windows XP and there'll be a option to choose either to boot XP or L.A.S.S.I.E.

Reboot the Computer and choose to boot L.A.S.S.I.E. in RAM only. From running L.A.S.S.I.E. one can do a manual installation of any Puppy Linux onto the USB Stick.

Another one may step in to describe how to do a manual install of a Puppy.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

meowza2017

Info on My Laptop

#6 Post by meowza2017 »

OK so i run an hp pavillion laptop with .99 GB of ram. I dont know ANYTHING about any of this stuff.. i just know that xp is no longer supported and i cant do half of what i want to because its so outdated!

meowza2017

#7 Post by meowza2017 »

also, i have a cd drive and everything just no blank cd

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Welcome to Puppy.

It is quite easy to do what you have said you want to do.
As with anything though, it can start to appear difficult if you don't follow the right steps.

If you can get Puppy to boot on your machine (from Live CD or from USB flash drive for example) it contains all the tools you need.

Hopefully your CD drive is actually working (they sometimes stop working in those older computers). If so I would suggest buying and using a blank CD to create a Live Puppy CD from an .iso which you download.

You mentioned having a USB stick. Do you mean you have created a bootable Puppy USB stick or is it just one that you would like to use for this purpose? This is another way of getting Puppy to boot on your machine but can be a bit more difficult than using a CD in some cases.

Once you get Puppy booted we can go through the steps to remove XP and replace it with Puppy (or possibly keep XP and dual boot).
Oscar in England

LazY Puppy

#9 Post by LazY Puppy »

I repeat:

Download LASSIE-002-PAE.exe.

Install this derivative of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 under the use of Windows XP (just click the .exe installer file). It will keep Windows XP and there'll be a option to choose either to boot XP or L.A.S.S.I.E.

DON'T remove XP!!!

Reboot the Computer and choose to boot L.A.S.S.I.E. in RAM only. From running L.A.S.S.I.E. one can do a manual installation of any Puppy Linux onto the USB Stick.

So anyone here in the forum being able to describe how to do a manual, frugal install of a Puppy from a ISO from within a running Puppy (L.A.S.S.I.E. is nothing else than a running Puppy.) by the use of gparted and grub4dos (grub4dos-config)? :wink:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

It's possible that Tahr may run okay on his setup. He needs to decide where he wants to install puppy, USB stick or on his harddrive. There are numerous ways going about to manually installing puppy. I have a method that will not touch his MBR if he decides to install to hard drive dual-booting with XP.

mikeslr

post subject

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi meowza2017,

First, don't panic! :lol:

As OscarTalks said, replacing XP or setting up your computer so that you can boot into XP or Puppy is easy. But I'd add, most of the time. We've been at this collectively for maybe 100 years. For us, it's child's play. The only problem is that "we" aren't going to do it. You are. That requires communication. We'll figure out what has to be done. But you are our eyes and hands. We can't know what you don't tell us.

It will help if we knew which hp pavilion as there are a bunch; and there are also a bunch of Puppies. Which Puppies would be best for your computer will depend on which pavilion. In short, WHAT MODEL hp pavilion?

Lastly (for now :) ) does your pavilion have a CD/DVD burner or just a player; and can it boot from a USB-port or only just read from the USB-Sticks you plug in.

This why we want to know. It is easier for you to boot into a Puppy which has been burned to a CD/DVD but more convenient to run a Puppy from a USB-port. Computer manufacturers have generally set up computers to give "boot-priority" to the CD/DVD over the hard-drive. That is, the computer will first check if there is a bootable CD/DVD in the drive and boot it before trying to boot from the hard-drive. As puppyluvr said, the easiest way to create a bootable Puppy CD is to install BurnCDCC into your XP. You can find it here: https://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/download.

Don't try to create a bootable CD/DVD using any other program. Unless you like pain and frustration. :)

However, to use BurnCDCC requires that you have a CD/DVD burner, not merely a player. And while you can always run a Puppy from a CD/DVD, that imposes some limitations and inconveniences: (a) storing changes to setting and installing applications to your hard drive or using your now running Puppy to create a Multi-session CD/DVD; (b) as your hard-drive is formatted as Ntfs (or perhaps Fat32), loosing out on the advantages offered by running Puppy from a Linux formatted drive, something you can do to a USB-Stick; and (c) plugging in a USB-Stick before booting is just easier than loading a CD/DVD.

On the other hand, manufacturers don't setup computers to give a USB-port "boot-priority". And some older computer don't even have that ability. When you start your laptop for a few seconds your screen may display instructions as to which key(s) to hold down to (a) have a "one time" boot menu or (b) enter setup/bios to change your computer's boot priority or both. (For now) Before booting, plug in a USB-Stick and see if your computer would enable you to boot from the USB-port by following the instructions. Then, of course, as you don't yet have a bootable USB-Stick, choose some other option.

The easiest way to obtain a bootable USB-Stick of Puppy is to install into your XP LinuxLiveUSB Creator, available here: https://www.linuxliveusb.com/. There are others programs you could use, but that one has never failed me. Just (a) install it, download a Puppy ISO to somewhere you can find it, start LinuxLive and follow its instructions, pointing it to your Puppy ISO. It's probably best to let it format your USB-stick. You don't need "persistence" -- Puppies have their own method.

Which brings us back to "Which Puppy" -- and our need to know more about your computer.

mikesLr

nic007

Re: Info on My Laptop

#12 Post by nic007 »

meowza2017 wrote:OK so i run an hp pavillion laptop with .99 GB of ram. I dont know ANYTHING about any of this stuff.. i just know that xp is no longer supported and i cant do half of what i want to because its so outdated!
Which things can't you do with XP?

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

It's astonishing, isn't it?

Nearly 3 years after EOL, and we have several members still insisting it was the best thing since sliced bread. For me, the day I wiped XP off my hard drive, and shoved the install disc through the shredder was the best day's work I ever did.

I don't miss it. At all. And as time goes by, fewer and fewer apps will support it.....until eventually all it will do is run 'legacy' stuff.

And before I get told that XP is still necessary (or even viable as a day-to-day OS) there isn't a thing I used XP for that I can't do at least as well with Puppy.....and the few XP apps I like using will run fine under WINE.

But it's 'horses for courses' (of course!!) It's all down to personal choice in the end. If it was me, I would recommend installing Puppy to USB stick....but as stated, a LiveCD will make that easier, so I think I'm safe in saying that getting one burnt needs to take priority. And for that, I agree with the recommendation of BurnCDCC.

I don't think the OP should have any problems with it. After all, it simply burns an ISO file to an optical disc....that's the only thing it can do!!

------------------------------------

@meowza2017:- Seriously, exact specs will help us considerably, insofar as it will allow us to narrow down which Pups will work best with your hardware. So; over to you.....

Mike. :wink:

slavvo67

#14 Post by slavvo67 »

This is exactly what Quirky is for and why I personally use Quirky much more than Puppy, now. Quirky is a derivative of Puppy Linux created by the same person that created Puppy, Barry Kauler. There are no .iso's here but usfs.xz files that install directly to USB. Never did it directly from Windows but Barry provides instructions for this.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/releases/

Above is a link to the different Quirky releases. I would recommend Either Unicorn or one of the April versions (April with one "P", not Appril - that's a specialty one).

If you go into one of the sub directories and click on the .htm files,, you can scroll down and obtain instructions for installing.

Best,

Slavvo67

nic007

#15 Post by nic007 »

Mike Walsh wrote:It's astonishing, isn't it?

Nearly 3 years after EOL, and we have several members still insisting it was the best thing since sliced bread. For me, the day I wiped XP off my hard drive, and shoved the install disc through the shredder was the best day's work I ever did.

I don't miss it. At all. And as time goes by, fewer and fewer apps will support it.....until eventually all it will do is run 'legacy' stuff.

And before I get told that XP is still necessary (or even viable as a day-to-day OS) there isn't a thing I used XP for that I can't do at least as well with Puppy.....and the few XP apps I like using will run fine under WINE.

But it's 'horses for courses' (of course!!) It's all down to personal choice in the end. If it was me, I would recommend installing Puppy to USB stick....but as stated, a LiveCD will make that easier, so I think I'm safe in saying that getting one burnt needs to take priority. And for that, I agree with the recommendation of BurnCDCC.

I don't think the OP should have any problems with it. After all, it simply burns an ISO file to an optical disc....that's the only thing it can do!!

------------------------------------

@meowza2017:- Seriously, exact specs will help us considerably, insofar as it will allow us to narrow down which Pups will work best with your hardware. So; over to you.....

Well the truth is - if you have an old machine with low specs (especially little RAM) XP WILL run better on it than a new puppy. You can still do almost everything with XP whilst you can't with an older puppy. XP is probably the most compatible system in terms of hardware and software ever. For instance, I have a canon laser printer which does not have a linux driver. It's amazing that one can download the latest browser and it will work on the 17 year old system OTB. I have also found that the sound reproduction of any puppy is crap compared to XP or any other windows system. So for me, XP is still a necessity. Having said that, I use Racy most of the time (with Wine of course). :wink:

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

I have to agree with you there about Racy, Nic.

I've 'played around' with it at times over the years, but never really been able to get it to run properly.....until recently. A fortnight ago, 'Racy 5.5' joined my kennels as a full-time member (using WINE, naturally!)

I guess experience does count for something. As for XP, I'd used it virtually from its day of release; I was ready for a change. And having done the 'distro-hopping' thing, once I'd found Puppy, I just knew it was 'the one'.

Horses for courses. If folks still feel happy with XP, more power to 'em..! MikeB always used to say that a well-fettled XP (with the updater 'aborted at birth'!), would do anything you wanted it to....and shouldn't slow down into the bargain.

And, er.....I agree with you, TBH. Modern Pups are getting more 'demanding'...

nic007

#17 Post by nic007 »

Yes, you have to keep your hand on XP so that it doesn't slow down or get cluttered over time. One needs to clean the registry and do a regpack every few months. This is where puppy has a huge advantage with its frugal install and read-only base file. Racy is great and its kernel is "new" enough to support xz compression. The included Seamonkey browser is getting a bit old but then I'm using Opera Mini (via an emulator) as my day to day browser so its perfect for me. It's not everyday one will find a distribution so small which packs such a big punch.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

I think we scared him away. :(

slavvo67

#19 Post by slavvo67 »

I think we hijacked this thread, a bit. Truth is, I never wiped a computer to install Puppy or Quirky. Might be a fun project with one of my old boxes.... Even old 3HD or UpUp Precise might be fund to run in full install on an old box.

perdido

#20 Post by perdido »

LazY Puppy wrote:I repeat:

Download LASSIE-002-PAE.exe.

Install this derivative of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 under the use of Windows XP (just click the .exe installer file). It will keep Windows XP and there'll be a option to choose either to boot XP or L.A.S.S.I.E.

DON'T remove XP!!!

So anyone here in the forum being able to describe how to do a manual, frugal install of a Puppy from a ISO from within a running Puppy (L.A.S.S.I.E. is nothing else than a running Puppy.) by the use of gparted and grub4dos (grub4dos-config)? :wink:
Hi LazY Puppy :!:
There is a program for that courtesy of user L18L - YAPI (Yet Another Puppy Installer)
It installs different puppy versions from a running puppy.
PET file and instructions available here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101127

So install LASSIE from USB stick in Windows, choose to boot puppy.
Then install YAPI pet from USB stick
Run YAPI to install a different puppy version from an .iso file

There are certainly other more manual ways too.