Firefox52/Pulseaudio/No Sound (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
whynosound2

NOT solved

#31 Post by whynosound2 »

Sound works fine on Tahr with old Firefox.

Upgrade Firefox and no sound.

Use Xenial and no sound (in Firefox)

I have tried apulse. I have tried that pulseaudio pet. Nothing works.

Can someone PLEASE provide instructions for getting sound to work with Firefox 52+? Xenial is best, Tahr is okay.

matchpoint

#32 Post by matchpoint »

That 52 runs says you have Gtk3 installed.

Is there sound in an earlier version of Firefox? Do you have a Chrome based browser to cross-reference?

OscarTalks

#33 Post by OscarTalks »

Latest Firefox Quantum requires libgtk-3
This is already included in Xenial.
For Tahr, install it using PPM as a first step.

To get sound you can use apulse.
Version 0.1.11 is available as .pet packages for 32bit and 64bit here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Rather than installing the .pet in the normal way, I recommend you unpack the .pet using UExtract and move the libs into the "firefox" directory.
This directory may be in /usr/lib or /opt
Doing this makes the libs available for firefox but stops them from interfering with anything else.

The one remaining problem is that the sound process is sandboxed so still won't work.
Earlier firefox versions didn't have this feature at all.
Decide if you are happy to disable this in about:config
If so, set security.sandbox.content.level to 0

The alternative is to reduce the sandbox level a bit and whitelist the sound, which is a bit more complicated (and 32bit is slightly different from 64bit). There are various threads on the forum about how to do this, but be aware that things might change with future Firefox updates.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=969
Oscar in England

whynosound2

No :(

#34 Post by whynosound2 »

EDIT: This worked in Tahr. I already had libgtk3 and I had apulse but they didn't work until you told me about the about:config settings.

Thank you. I don't know why it's not working in Xenial though? Maybe the same thing?

EDIT: It is NOT working on Tahr Quantum. Some videos do play, some do not. Even in Youtube, not all videos play. I know that is strange but it is true. But these same videos play with FF 48.
Last edited by whynosound2 on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

matchpoint

#35 Post by matchpoint »

Oscar, not that I typically run FF, but, I had to keep you honest. Your method proofs out on Xenial32.

whynosound2

FF 52 No :(

#36 Post by whynosound2 »

This works on FF Quantum with Tahr but I have just found that it does not work on FF 52, and that is what I have to run.

On FF 52 you can play videos (ex youtube) with no sound or if you copy the apulse libs, then videos start (like I can see the first frame) but they don't play at all and you get the error

"If playback doesn't bein shortly, try restarting your device."

EDIT: actual error message

OscarTalks

#37 Post by OscarTalks »

If you need help with a specific situation it would help if you could give the full Firefox version number and if it is the standard or ESR version (52?). Also, where did the Firefox originate from? Is it a Mozilla official build or one that has been compiled by Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, Yourself or somebody else?
Also, it is always a good idea to indicate if your Puppies are 32bit or 64bit.

The hints I wrote in my previous post outline the main areas you should look at and really apply to current latest Quantum official build from Mozilla, but there are a number of variables so you may have to experiment and adapt things a bit.

The one other step which might be useful, if you have put the apulse libraries inside the firefox directory, start Firefox with a little script (named "firefox" and placed in /usr/bin) to give priority to those libraries over any system library:-

#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"

Change those paths accordingly if it is in /opt rather than /usr/lib
Oscar in England

whynosound2

FF 52 No Go

#38 Post by whynosound2 »

> If you need help with a specific situation it would help if you could give the full Firefox version number and if it is the standard or ESR version (52?).

1. Tor Browser, based on Firefox 52.7.0 64-bit

2. Firefox 59.0 64-bit downloaded from getfirefox.org (this is the one that works on some Youtube videos but not on others.

> Also, it is always a good idea to indicate if your Puppies are 32bit or 64bit.

Tahr 64, Xenial 64.

Sound is not working (reliably) anywhere.

Is this something that will be fixed in a later version of Xenial? If so then I will wait until a stable version with sound is released. Not much reason to do all of this.

About your suggestion: I can try that script but I have tried putting the libraries in /opt/firefox/ AND, OR /usr/lib64 and there is no change in what happens in any case.

OscarTalks

#39 Post by OscarTalks »

The browser in Tor Browser is a Firefox ESR that has been modified and compiled by the Tor developers specifically for their bundle. I usually try to upload versions of this which have been adapted to work in Puppy including sound fix, see here and feel free to test:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91141

I am not familiar with getfirefox.org as a source, but I would expect the principles I outlined to work in some combination if applied correctly. For the Mozilla builds I would use something like mozilla.org/firefox but there may be some other reason why it is not working for you. I only tested up to 58.0.2 and they do keep changing things.

Are you using the whitelist settings for sound? If so the number 54 should be replaced by 12 (I believe) for 64bit.

I don't know if it will be fixed in Xenial or other Puppies in the short term. I don't think there are any plans to include PulseAudio and apulse is really a workaround. My advice is to continue to look at it until you figure out how to do your own adaptations because it does appear to work in my tests and other users have reported the same.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#40 Post by OscarTalks »

Firefox Quantum 59.0.1 64bit
Mozilla official build, main directory installed under /opt with apulse libraries inside that directory.
I added a user.js file to set sandbox level to 0 (and defined the profile folder name because I am not sure how else to enter this file). In this form I think it may be possible to offer it as a package.

In my quick test it runs OK in Xenial64 and sound is working.
In Tahr64 it runs if you install libgtk-3 first. (If tooltips are too dark, change gtk3 theme to default).

If anyone wants to give it a try, bear in mind it is STRICTLY FOR TESTING PURPOSES.
Uploaded here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/S7ktsYZPqg2Lc?force_show=1
Oscar in England

whynosound2

Sound Not Working

#41 Post by whynosound2 »

I think we are confused about a few things.

The first thing is that the Quantum package that you created is not needed because it's easy to do all of those things.

The answer to your question is that I set the sandbox to 0 in about:config.

But like I told you, the sound does not always work there. It looks like it does because you can play a YouTube video. Then you can't play others. So unless your test was of lots of videos from many sources I am not confident that yours works either because you basically did the same things I did.

About the Tor Browser bundle it is absolutely insane to think that anyone would use a bundle that was not created by the Tor devs. So I won't even think about that.

You said that apulse is the solution that will work in Xenial but *IT DOES NOT WORK IN XENIAL* like I said.

So basically what you are saying is "Sound in FF does not work in Puppy anymore and some people are okay with it working badly and everyone else can fuck off."

Okay fine. I am done with Puppy. I will see what Barry K is cooking up these days. I'm sure it's much better than Puppy has turned into.

whynosound2

Really?

#42 Post by whynosound2 »

Do you really not know what getfirefox.org is? You know, *the* place to download Firefox? Now I know why everything in Xenial doesn't work. Icons on top of each other, missing drivers. You are not smart.

OscarTalks

#43 Post by OscarTalks »

Puppy is developed by a relatively small community of volunteers who are usually friendly and polite towards each other. If you wish to flag up issues with view to resolving them within Puppy that is fine, or if you wish to receive help or suggestions to get your own system working that is fine too.

However, you do need to ask your questions, understand the answers and present your responses in a more intelligent manner.

The getfirefox.org domain just re-directs to the mozilla.org domain that I mentioned, so it should be fine, but your statement was wrong.

Some users do like to have a package that they can install easily without having to do any internal tweaks, so your statement was wrong.

Browser development tends to be quite frantic and this includes changes to multimedia playback support as well as security. Flash Player for example is being phased out or more tightly-secured and some websites have moved away from it. A tester can not test everything, so the sensible thing for you to do would be to give an example of a website or video that does NOT work (if you are saying that some do and some don't). Why has it not occurred to you to do this?

The point about Tor Browser is that it is different from Firefox and the steps I took to get sound working are different. You posted that you were trying to get Firefox working and only when I pushed you did you reveal that in fact it was Tor Browser. A smart person would give the correct name of the program when asking a question.
Oscar in England

mikeslr

#44 Post by mikeslr »

@ whynosound2

Oscartalk's response reflects the courtesy and understanding characteristic of those who use Puppies and participate in this Forum.

I find it odd that you're having difficulty with Xenialpup which has been my main OS for two years, running flawlessly; and of which few "bug reports" have been posted for most of that period. Even odder that you're having difficulty with firefox, especially after fredx181 published portable versions for both 32-and-64 bit operating systems with builtin sound modules.

Occasionally, a newbie's posts reflect both his/her ignorance, obstinate desire to 'just do it my way' and anger when others don't fall in line. Puppy is a family of operating systems published and maintained by fans. There are threads explaining how to build your own Puppy or DebianDog for those who 'want to do it their way'. There are a slew of other distros to choose from. You're welcome to do it your way. You're welcome to leave. You won't be missed.

mikesLr

port

When Oscar Talks....listen!

#45 Post by port »

Thanks to Oscar Talks (Oscar in England) for the fix using apulse-0.1.11. It worked fabulously for me on Xenialpup 7.5 with the latest updates/bugfixes as of October 2018.

I got it working with FF 63.0. Nice to hear audio again in FireFox!

Running nicely on a lenovo IBM ThikPad T60

Thank you Oscar Talks!
Thank you Puppy Linux Community (once again)!

oui

#46 Post by oui »

seamonkey 2.49.4 seems don't to have suche bugs. but it seems don't to work with pulsesomewhat but with alsa... else i would prefer have pulse and I would prefer really know how to use pulse and hold it's opulence in commando line as the tools are not usable at all (the creator's of tools are inapt to understand that the surface of the screen is limited and will require for a simple slide switch the place permitting to look at a action video! they see herself as more as very important VIP's!)

whynosound2

Still Doesn't Work

#47 Post by whynosound2 »

Sound still does not work for tahr pup.

Installed Oscar's apulse (12) by pet and also copied the lib files into /opt/firefox

Changed the about:config setting to "security.sandbox... 0"

But there is no sound. Does anyone have this working? What did you do?

watchdog

Re: Still Doesn't Work

#48 Post by watchdog »

whynosound2 wrote: Installed Oscar's apulse (12) by pet and also copied the lib files into /opt/firefox
I think the new apulse must be used as a wrapper script. Try to launch firefox with:

Code: Select all

apulse /path-to/firefox

whynosound2

Re: Still Doesn't Work

#49 Post by whynosound2 »

watchdog wrote:
whynosound2 wrote: Installed Oscar's apulse (12) by pet and also copied the lib files into /opt/firefox
I think the new apulse must be used as a wrapper script. Try to launch firefox with:

Code: Select all

apulse /path-to/firefox
That worked thanks.

whynosound2

New Update Breaks Fix

#50 Post by whynosound2 »

@watchdog etc Firefox updated and now this doesn't work anymore even with security.sandbox 0 and using as a wrapper script. Does anyone else have this working?