EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#1546 Post by BarryK »

A heads-up about something interesting...

I posted a comment to the ScPup forum thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 95#1030095

As the slackware64-current repository is, by definition, always going to be changing, there is no guarantee that packages installed from the slackware-14.2 repo will work -- even if many do now, there is no guarantee in the future.

As ScPup is built with slackware64-current packages (or slackware-current for the 32-bit build), compiling packages in ScPup and creating PETs, same story, they may not work in future builds of ScPup.

I probably put a dampener on the the ScPup project (and on LxPup), however, there is a solution. Slackware lacks dependency management, and I have conceived how it can be added in Woof, both my Woof fork and for woof-CE.

The database entry for each package needs a list of dependencies, and also the version of each dependency must be specified. The Salix distro did this partially for Slackware 14.2, but only listed deps for each package, no versioning of deps.

The first step to the fix is to create a file that has the name of a package on each line, with all the deps. Versions of deps are not yet required.
This file will be named 'DEPENDENCIES' and will be in Woof. I have written a script that generates this file, from the Ubuntu packages database -- it generates the "real" package names, not the split up names as used for DEBs.

Next, will modify the '0setup' script in Woof, so that when it converts the Slackware 'PACKAGES.TXT' file to Puppy-standard-format, it will read 'DEPENDENCIES' and automatically generate deps for each package, complete with required version of each dep.

Changes will also have to be made to the PPM.

Will post to my blog as this progresses.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

peebee

#1547 Post by peebee »

BarryK wrote:I probably put a dampener on the the ScPup project (and on LxPup)
Hi Barry

Will be interested in this initiative - would request that you try to make anything you do applicable to Woof-CE if possible.

My experience is that Slackware is reasonably good at being backwards compatible - i.e. Slackware-14.2 apps do run on Slackware-Current**. I haven't seen the reports of problems you alluded to in your post on the ScPup thread....

Thanks
peebee

p.s. ** As an example Alien-Bob actually makes Chromium available for both 14.2 and Current and its the same 14.2 build for both that runs perfectly happily on both.... LibreOffice and Thunderbird are the same.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

foxpup

#1548 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:The database entry for each package needs a list of dependencies, and also the version of each dependency must be specified. The Salix distro did this partially for Slackware 14.2, but only listed deps for each package, no versioning of deps.

The first step to the fix is to create a file that has the name of a package on each line, with all the deps. Versions of deps are not yet required.
This file will be named 'DEPENDENCIES' and will be in Woof. I have written a script that generates this file, from the Ubuntu packages database -- it generates the "real" package names, not the split up names as used for DEBs.
Noob, but thinking and :? :
Isn't the ubuntu DEPENDENCIES list the same thing as the deps list from Salix?
And can the (general) dependencies of a (real) package not change from version to version? And (hence) from distro to distro?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1549 Post by BarryK »

foxpup wrote:
BarryK wrote:The database entry for each package needs a list of dependencies, and also the version of each dependency must be specified. The Salix distro did this partially for Slackware 14.2, but only listed deps for each package, no versioning of deps.

Noob, but thinking and :? :
Isn't the ubuntu DEPENDENCIES list the same thing as the deps list from Salix?
And can the (general) dependencies of a (real) package not change from version to version? And (hence) from distro to distro?
@foxpup,
The deps will probably stay the same for most packages, if going from Slackware 14.2 to 15.0 for example. But not necessarily for all. For example, a media player might introduce support for a new media library. Or, a package might change from one library to another, for example from openssl to libressl.

Regarding Ubuntu versus Slackware pkg deps, the good thing about Debian and Ubuntu is they compile apps with every capability enabled, so there will often be more deps. This means bloated, however such a deps list is good, as it covers every possible dep that a app may possibly require.
Mapping that to a Slackware-based build is easy, just remove a dep if it isn't in the Slackware repo.

@peebee,
Yes, you can usually get by with running 14.2 apps in a slackware-current build, there may be just a few library packages that are incompatible, except for examples I mentioned above. And you can provide PETs of the old libraries -- though, that only works if the app is linked against a different library name -- if the new library is say abc.1.2.so and the older library is also abc.1.2.so, then you have to get creative and use LD_PRELOAD to specifically load the old library for the app -- but that is getting very difficult to implement.

It could be that I am over-dramatizing the problem. It could be that Patrick is taking care not to break 14.2 packages running in the upcoming 15.0, in that case, very good.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on my proposed fix, and will make it woof-CE compatible.

gychang

darktable install possible?

#1550 Post by gychang »

Really like EasyOS Pyro64 1.0.14 install on my HD. Is there a way to install darktable for photo editing?
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

stemsee

#1551 Post by stemsee »

@gychang an AppImage might be your best bet, if you can find one. Or compile from source
https://www.darktable.org/install/

Keisha

Wireless not working in EasyOS 0.9.4

#1552 Post by Keisha »

Downloading 1.0.14 now, will try it. This is on a vintage-2010 HP EliteBook 2740p. On Quirky and Fedora 29 the wireless modules are iwlwifi, iwldvm, mac80211, cfg80211. Modprobe'ing these four into EasyOS 0.9.4, no wifi shows in the network setup app. Will try 1.0.14 presently and report back.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

Keisha

Wireless not working in EasyOS 1.0.14

#1553 Post by Keisha »

Nope, no wifi in EasyOS 1.0.14 either. The stack
iwlwifi
iwldvm
cfg80211
mac80211

which works in Fedora 29 and Quirky Unicorn, does not work in EasyOS 1.0.14 on this HP Elitebook 2740p.

*edited 2740p not 2940p
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

lp-dolittle

EasyOS on usb-stick

#1554 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry,

many thanks, Barry, for the live-CD revival! You are increasing the versatiliy of EasyOS in a fantastic way.

It's not first of all the live-CD option but the availability of an iso-version of EasyOS which, for sure, will be highly appreciated by many EasyOS enthusiasts. Even if modern computers increasingly are lacking CD/DVD drives, an iso-copy on a flashdrive will work perfectly!

kind regards, and again, thank you so much!!

cthisbear

#1555 Post by cthisbear »

' Barry, for the live-CD revival!
You are increasing the versatiliy of EasyOS in a fantastic way. "

:::::::

Yes! Yes! Way to go.

But can anyone post the cd link.
I had a good look around..but no can see.

Chris.

blgs

#1556 Post by blgs »

cthisbear wrote:' Barry, for the live-CD revival!
You are increasing the versatiliy of EasyOS in a fantastic way. "

:::::::

Yes! Yes! Way to go.

But can anyone post the cd link.
I had a good look around..but no can see.

Chris.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... yro/1.0.8/

Easyos 1.0.8 was the latest one with an iso file. You can upgrade up to 1.0.14 by means of easydd tool. Easydd (CLI) is part of easyos.

Sage

#1557 Post by Sage »

...now working toward the next release...

scsijon

#1558 Post by scsijon »

Sage wrote:
...now working toward the next release...
Yup, and the kernel 5.1.15 is up there for those that want to try it (play around) in Easy, (see his blog for where and how to install it,) however i'm getting an error appearing in the xerrs.log that I ?don't think should be, even if it's listed as a warning.>
libpng warning: interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
I'm building a 5.1.16 (last of the 5.1.x) with BarryK's kernel builder at present and will try building a 5.2 afterwards to test out on Easy.

There's also a kernel patch specificly for AMD systems and it's SMBus, apparently needed in the 5.1.x kernel, but backdates to the 4.20, not sure if it's fixed in 5.2 as I haven't read the changelog all the way through yet. This # svn diff -c 48408 https://svn.exactcode.de/t2 will list it out for you, it's from T2 and the patch explains what it is relevant for.

Oh yes, the 5.1.15 seems to have fixed my sound level problem that I had with earlier 1.0.xx Easy's too, nice.

And as a thought when reading back, I wonder if BarryK could / would consider to pet Easydd for all to use with earlier versions as it does seem to be mainly a script file in /usr/sbin.

A few kernel settings will need to be changed / added for the kernel build before my second Quirky Thud64 alpha is test-built with it, and I may update the linux-firmware pet also while i'm at it, else i'm nearly ready.

EDIT: And i've just played with the new kernel for a bit under what was in the past a heavy load of compiling and it's no longer that bad, i'd consider it about half what it was by the indicators, and the high core temperatures have dropped also, down by about 10degC so it seems to confirm the drop in core load.
EDIT2: Now having played with Barry's new 5.1.15 kernel for a day and even rebuilt my quirky-thud64 with it (using woofq) on a Easy 1.0.10, i'll recomend you should try it if you have Easy 1.0.10+ installed. Runs faster, less cpu core use, less heat created / power used, music and videos are better to the eye/ear. Not totally sure what he has done to it, but it's a nice improvement, and even most of the problems I've had with Easy have dissapeared, only that horrible chipset workstation remains an annoying headache and there is nothing to do about it (as it's a testbox and will stay as just that).
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:28, edited 3 times in total.

cthisbear

#1559 Post by cthisbear »

blgs: Thanks but I want this...

http://bkhome.org/news/201907/live-cd-i ... rride.html

Live-CD is back plus zram support plus partition override
July 09, 2019 — BarryK

" Version 1.0.8 was the last version that supported booting from optical media, the current release, 1.0.14, does not.

However, those who want to boot Easy from optical media will be very happy, live-CD|DVD is back, and then some..."

Chris.

lp-dolittle

Live-CD revival

#1560 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ cthisbear

Maybe, you misunderstood Barry's announcement.

Some patience needed!

As it seems, Barry is just creating the new EasyOS-iso file which obviously is eagerly-awaited.

kind regards

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1561 Post by BarryK »

rufwoof posted awhile back that EasyOS did not go to sleep when the laptop lid is closed, and he created a fix:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 45#1025945

Thanks, that got me started, and hopefully now, we have sleep when lid is closed, and power-off when the power button is pressed:

http://bkhome.org/news/201907/acpi-hand ... press.html

Have only done this in theory, not yet tested.

Keisha

EasyOS 1.0.14 will not read ExFAT created by Windows 10

#1562 Post by Keisha »

Like the subject line says, EasyOS will not see/read a USB stick which was formatted ExFAT by Windows 10. Fedora 29 can.

Keisha

BionicPup won’t run an HP 2740p’s WiFi either

#1563 Post by Keisha »

Just discovered that BionicPup (64-bit) (Puppy 8.0) won’t run the HP Elitebook 2740p’s wifi either. modprobe’ing iwlwifi then iwldvm automatically brings in cfg80211 and mac80211 but, no WiFi shows in the network managers. Fedora 29 and Windows 10 can run WiFi on this computer.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS 1.0.14 will not read ExFAT created by Windows 10

#1564 Post by BarryK »

Keisha wrote:Like the subject line says, EasyOS will not see/read a USB stick which was formatted ExFAT by Windows 10. Fedora 29 can.
Thanks for reporting that. It is fixed for the next release:

http://bkhome.org/news/201907/easyos-no ... exfat.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: darktable install possible?

#1565 Post by BarryK »

gychang wrote:Really like EasyOS Pyro64 1.0.14 install on my HD. Is there a way to install darktable for photo editing?
I would like to create a couple of extra SFSs for Easy, thinking of "graphics apps" and "multimedia apps" SFSs. That is, have multiple apps in one SFS, with a particular theme.

Any suggestions what apps should be in these, let me know.