Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Sep 2019, 08:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Buster 2.1.3 released, September 15, 2019
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 113 of 122 [1820 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, ..., 120, 121, 122 Next
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 13:04    Post subject: 2.0  

BarryK wrote:
Easy Buster 2.0 is out:

http://bkhome.org/news/201908/easy-buster-64-bit-version-20-released.html

Testers welcome!

I've done a classic manual frugal install on a recent i5 laptop.
Everything works smooth.
Wifi is very easy.
A little remark, one has to remember to activate the firewall.

As a help for those that try a similar install, this is my BOOT_SPECS inside initrd that works for me:
Code:
BOOT_UUID='aee3598a-5686-411f-88c5-bac84cbede86'
BOOT_DIR='easyBuster/'
WKG_UUID='aee3598a-5686-411f-88c5-bac84cbede86'
WKG_DIR='easyBuster/'
You have to adjust of course, but this is all that is needed!

I will run this for a while now for testing.
It looks great! again!
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 13:17    Post subject: 1.1
Subject description: last pyro?

I didn't realise right away that this is also for Easy 1.1.
I've installed this 'last pyro' as well. I am actually posting from it.

It look as smooth and good as the Buster.
Since Pyro is EOL, I will continue to use Buster for a while now.
Per info BOOT_SPECS (that is even easier than the one for Buster):
Code:
BOOT_LABEL='puppy'
BOOT_DIR='easyPyro/'
WKG_LABEL='puppy'
WKG_DIR='easyPyro/'
blgs

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 13:27    Post subject: full use of all repositories
Subject description: Why limitation to max 5?

In PPM you can select max 5 repositories. Why?
I can imagine now Easyos is based on debian buster, users might use all available repositories without the limitation of max 5?
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 13:54    Post subject: No Internet in Container Seamonkey  

Hi Barry and all,

Installed Easy 2.0 to a 16GB stick, and all has gone smoothly. Thanks to you, Barry.

Have just run into a small problem I've either forgotten how to solve or it is something maybe I did? (I don't know what).

Anyway, here the problem is in a pic: Seamonkey runs easily & is internet-connected when it is non-containerized (I'm posting from it now). But when I start Seamonkey in the Container using the Menu link, it tells me there is no Internet connection in the Container. I've used most all of previous Easy versions and have never run into this problem. Was it something I did?? I followed all the same steps I did before when installing all the previous Easy 0.- to 1.-versions. Do I need to to copy over the networking stuff into the Container for Seamonkey or....? You can see in the pic I have full internet connection (wired) and am using it posting now from Seamonkey "outside" the Container.

Thanks for any help/replies.
Easy2.0-no-internet-in-Container.png
 Description   
 Filesize   214.56 KB
 Viewed   755 Time(s)

Easy2.0-no-internet-in-Container.png

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 19:57    Post subject:  

zygo wrote:
Barry,

Reading the initrd from the 1.0.92 iso in scite or textadept.

line 1212 omits the word 'be':-
Choose the closest match, there will BE an opportunity to fine-tune

Line 8859 does not.

Ah yes, fixed. Thanks for spotting that.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 20:10    Post subject: Re: running totally in RAM
Subject description: partition expansion

lp-dolittle wrote:
Experimenting with dumping the easy-1.0.92-amd64.img onto an externally attached HD (IDE; 20 GB), in analogy to the USB stick method and in order to test the totally running in RAM option, I became aware of some noticable facts:

(1) In principle, the installation worked as expected, i.e. at first boot, EasyOS expanded, encrypted and populated the second partition. The first session settings proved to be persistent (surviving reboots), and the <wkg_dev=zram0> command at the kernel command line had the 'running in RAM totally' effect. This situation remained unchanged when I shrank the working/saving partition which previously was expanded to fill the entire space of the external HD, to a capacity of ca. 10 GB.

(2) Expecting that removing of the entire working/saving partition would create a 'pristine' situation which would be responded by a spontaneous re-expansion and re-population of a re-created partition, I was surprised that this did not happen. Instead, I noticed an interesting side effect. EasyOS now spontaneously boots into the 'totally running in RAM' mode even if no additional parameter is added to the kernel command line.

At very first bootup of usb-stick, which has the .img written to it, there is a pre-existing working-partition, 640MB size. This gets expanded to fill the drive.

Easy no longer creates a working-partition. It has to pre-exist, empty, and be 640MB in size.

I put in these restrictions as a precaution. Forum member esmourguit had a situation where a hard drive became unusable, and although we never determined the cause, I wanted to take extra precautions that Easy wasn't the culprit -- I don't know how Easy could have been the cause, but decided anyway, to not create any partitions, and only resize it.

Esmourguit determined that the drive had failed, and he bought a new one. Fortunately, he was able to get most of his photos etc off it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 20:16    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
Wifi working, but yet to reboot.

[EDIT] Wifi has connected after a restart.

In my case, I fixed the wifi reconnection problem by right-click on the network icon, choose to edit connections, then in the wifi interface settings, there is a checkbox labelled "All users may connect to this network" -- ticked that, then got auto connect at next bootup.

So, need to figure out how to get that checkbox automatically ticked.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 20:25    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
?So your actually using Debian itself for EasyOS 2.0?

I don't know why but I thought you were using Devuan (deuvian.org), the non-systemd fork of Debian.

Yes, I am using actual Buster DEBs. I did consider Devuan, but decided that earlier Easy/Quirky/puppies have successfully used Debian and Ubuntu DEBs without systemd being present, so will continue.

Besides, Devuan still uses other things that Easy does not, such as polkit and pam, and we have to work around them not being present.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 20:29    Post subject: Re: 1.1
Subject description: last pyro?

foxpup wrote:
I didn't realise right away that this is also for Easy 1.1.
I've installed this 'last pyro' as well. I am actually posting from it.

It look as smooth and good as the Buster.
Since Pyro is EOL, I will continue to use Buster for a while now.

Actually, there is going to be a Pyro 1.1.1, as I made a mistake with startup of SeaMonkey. If you start it on main desktop, without any Internet connection, it reports that it is running in a container and aborts.

It is not running in a container, and should not abort. I have fixed it.

Ditto for Buster, 2.0.1 will be coming soon.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 20:38    Post subject: Re: full use of all repositories

blgs wrote:
I can imagine now Easyos is based on debian buster, users might use all available repositories without the limitation of max 5?

You mean:
debian-buster-main
debian-buster-contrib
debian-buster-multimedia
pet-noarch
pet-buster

If you click on the "Configure" button, you can also select 'debian-buster-non-free'

As far as Debian repos go, isn't that all of them?

But if you mean that only a max of 5 can be shown on the window, that was to limit the width of the window.

However, I could fix that by displaying the names shorter, say "buster-main" etc.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 20:55    Post subject: Re: No Internet in Container Seamonkey  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Barry and all,

Installed Easy 2.0 to a 16GB stick, and all has gone smoothly. Thanks to you, Barry.

Have just run into a small problem I've either forgotten how to solve or it is something maybe I did? (I don't know what).

Anyway, here the problem is in a pic: Seamonkey runs easily & is internet-connected when it is non-containerized (I'm posting from it now). But when I start Seamonkey in the Container using the Menu link, it tells me there is no Internet connection in the Container. I've used most all of previous Easy versions and have never run into this problem. Was it something I did?? I followed all the same steps I did before when installing all the previous Easy 0.- to 1.-versions. Do I need to to copy over the networking stuff into the Container for Seamonkey or....? You can see in the pic I have full internet connection (wired) and am using it posting now from Seamonkey "outside" the Container.

Can you go into the Easy containerized desktop and run "ping google.com" in a terminal, to confirm Internet is working in the container.

As I posted above, there is a bug with that startup code for SM.

If you are running SM from the "www" icon on the desktop, before
clicking on "www", go to /mnt/wkg/containers/www/.session/usr/bin -- you will sea 'seamonkey' symlinked to 'seamonkey-test'

you can change that symlink, open a terminal:

Code:
# ln -snf /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey seamonkey

Then, when you click on "www", SM should start.

Ah, I see from the snapshot, that you are running SM in the Easy-container-desktop. Ok, do the same thing, in the containerized desktop, open a terminal at /usr/bin, and run the above change of symlink.

blgs

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2019, 01:45    Post subject: Re: full use of all repositories

BarryK wrote:
blgs wrote:

You mean:
debian-buster-main
debian-buster-contrib
debian-buster-multimedia
pet-noarch
pet-buster

If you click on the "Configure" button, you can also select 'debian-buster-non-free'

As far as Debian repos go, isn't that all of them?

But if you mean that only a max of 5 can be shown on the window, that was to limit the width of the window.

However, I could fix that by displaying the names shorter, say "buster-main" etc.

I have attached some photo's.

Photo 1 : All available repositories. I have selected 4 +1 (fixed). I performed a repositorie update and after pushing the OK buttor PPM restarts.
After the PPM has been restarted the next screen appears, see photo 2. Only two selected repositories appears and not 5.

Photo 3 is the software selection screen with only two active repositories.

You can select all 11 + 1 (fixed) but after restart of PPM only two (only pet-noarch-official and pet-buster-official) will be selected.

It is probably a bug. Anyway I do not understand it.
photo3.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  photo3.png 
Filesize  51.43 KB 
Downloaded  49 Time(s) 
photo2.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  photo2.png 
Filesize  86.23 KB 
Downloaded  46 Time(s) 
photo1.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  photo1.png 
Filesize  89.77 KB 
Downloaded  53 Time(s) 
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2019, 04:08    Post subject: Re: No Internet in Container Seamonkey  

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi Barry and all,

Can you go into the Easy containerized desktop and run "ping google.com" in a terminal, to confirm Internet is working in the container.

As I posted above, there is a bug with that startup code for SM.

If you are running SM from the "www" icon on the desktop, before
clicking on "www", go to /mnt/wkg/containers/www/.session/usr/bin -- you will sea 'seamonkey' symlinked to 'seamonkey-test'

you can change that symlink, open a terminal:

Code:
# ln -snf /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey seamonkey

Then, when you click on "www", SM should start.

Ah, I see from the snapshot, that you are running SM in the Easy-container-desktop. Ok, do the same thing, in the containerized desktop, open a terminal at /usr/bin, and run the above change of symlink.

Thanks, Barry, did the link you posted and all is good now as Seamonkey launches no problems from www desktop link.
lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2019, 09:20    Post subject: Kernel 5.2.7 with cap_sys_mount patch
Subject description: promising additional versatility

@ Barry,

as for the 'Kernel 5.2.7 with cap_sys_mount patch', thank you Barry for further developing this idea!

Although my layman knowledge is too limited to really understand the technical background's details, I'm sure that you are going to enhance the versatility of EasyOS.

Still pondering on an 'enhanced running totally in RAM' option that, for example, would allow to make session settings persistent, I'm looking forward in anticipation. Many security-aware users will appreciate your new idea!!

kind regards

lp-dolittle
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:05    Post subject: Easy 2.0
Subject description: Desktop

Desktop background of Easyos 2.0 is awesome. Congregation to Barry Sir.
Page 113 of 122 [1820 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, ..., 120, 121, 122 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: