EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
eowens2

#1816 Post by eowens2 »

I am having difficulty booting (from USB stick) Buster 2.1.3 (had the same problem with 2.1.1). The boot-up messages and Easy icon are present, but give way to a black screen with a cursor that is movable with the mouse for about 20-30 seconds, but after that time the cursor is frozen in place.

None of the keys on the keyboard seem active, and a power-off is required to get control of the computer.

I am using an Asus UX305F laptop, with a Core M-5Y10c processor, Intel 5300 HD graphics (Broadwell GT2) and 8 GB ram.

I had screwy graphics and mouse-cursor activity on Easy version 0.6.8, but this was pretty much corrected by using the boot parameter 'i915.modeset=1'.

But the above problems occur with and without this boot parameter, and also if I use 'nomodeset'.

If I boot with 'i915.modeset=0', the process tries to start X but drops to a command prompt. It offers to let you 'choose a driver' but then tells you it has 'fully automatic detection'. Typing 'xwin' at the prompt leads to the black screen as described above.

I can boot to a command prompt, and the system seems to be working OK, but typing 'xwin' leads to the black screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1817 Post by BarryK »

eowens2 wrote:I am having difficulty booting (from USB stick) Buster 2.1.3 (had the same problem with 2.1.1). The boot-up messages and Easy icon are present, but give way to a black screen with a cursor that is movable with the mouse for about 20-30 seconds, but after that time the cursor is frozen in place.

None of the keys on the keyboard seem active, and a power-off is required to get control of the computer.

I am using an Asus UX305F laptop, with a Core M-5Y10c processor, Intel 5300 HD graphics (Broadwell GT2) and 8 GB ram.

I had screwy graphics and mouse-cursor activity on Easy version 0.6.8, but this was pretty much corrected by using the boot parameter 'i915.modeset=1'.

But the above problems occur with and without this boot parameter, and also if I use 'nomodeset'.

If I boot with 'i915.modeset=0', the process tries to start X but drops to a command prompt. It offers to let you 'choose a driver' but then tells you it has 'fully automatic detection'. Typing 'xwin' at the prompt leads to the black screen as described above.

I can boot to a command prompt, and the system seems to be working OK, but typing 'xwin' leads to the black screen.

Any help would be appreciated.
Don't use that boot parameter.

Choose the boot option to bootup to commandline only, no X, then run "xorgwizard".

You should get various choices. You should be able to try 'intel' and 'modesetting', worst case, 'vesa'. Hopefully one of those will work.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

eowens2

#1818 Post by eowens2 »

Barry K wrote
Choose the boot option to bootup to commandline only, no X, then run "xorgwizard".

You should get various choices. You should be able to try 'intel' and 'modesetting', worst case, 'vesa'. Hopefully one of those will work.
Booting to the CLI as you suggested, I entered 'xorgwizard' which took me to the Xorg Video Wizard. The instructions were to use the up-arrow and down-arrow keys to select a video driver, the default values being 'None' and 'Fully Automatic Detection'.

Unfortunately the up-arrow and down-arrow keys did not seem to be functional, so that the only possible choice for drivers was the default values.

The tab key is functional, so using it to select 'OK' takes me to some notes suggesting entering 'xwin' at the command prompt.

Xwin in the command prompt then takes me to the previously described black screen.

Any suggestions?

Equatorial Denizen

Easy 2.1.3

#1819 Post by Equatorial Denizen »

My Innostor 32 GB USB Key is rated "83" by EasyDD.

So each boot up is a bit slow but fine, on my old INSPIRON

Previously, ASTRILL (DEB 64 bit) would load, but would not or could not channel any internet traffic

I read something about DEB packages not being totally comfortable with Easy or vice-versa.

So I used the RPM 64 bit package. This time, ASTRILL does channel internet traffic generated by Firefox browser.

However, my Newshosting traffic bypasses completely ASTRILL, in Easy (all versions tested). This does not happen with SCPUP64.

By the way, Deadbeef 1.8.1 from the repository works fine and produces punchy bass notes. Very nice.

As a final note, I would like to report that my LaCIE USB-C external disk works fine with the current Easy, and that it cannot be mounted by SCPUP19.06+5, though it worked with earlier versions.

Thank you for a job well done !

Greetings from the Equator ... :
;

eowens2

#1820 Post by eowens2 »

Here is a little more info regarding the Easy Buster 2.1.3 'Boot to Black Screen' problem described above.

On initial attempts, in the boot process, I pressed 'Enter' to select a US keyboard.

I then re-installed Easy 2.1.3 to the USB stick, and during boot entered '44' to select a US keyboard.

In both instances, in the Xorg Video Wizard dialogue, the Tab key works, but the up-arrow and down-arrow keys fail to change the option in the driver field, making he default value 'NONE - Fully Automatic Detection' the only choice, which, as described, leads to the black screen.

I should add that on this computer the up-arrow and down-arrow keys work as intended on several other Linux distros.

scsijon

scanning

#1821 Post by scsijon »

I might have a problem.

Connected an new HP printer/scanner. HP Officejet Pro 7740. Had too, the old HP 3310 finally died after 15 years of service.
Installed the matching ppd file in /usr/share/ppd/cupsfilters.
Setup the cups printing 'bits', removing the 3310, adding the 7740, and all that is printing all works beautifully.

However, as far as scanning is concerned.
The scanner parts show up in the Pupscan Interface Information, so that seems ok.
But neither pscan or xsane can pickup the scanner, both give a "no scanner detected" message window.

Any sugestions where to start from?

Thanks.

Rodney Byne

Scanning

#1822 Post by Rodney Byne »

To scsijon,

Hi, I just installed simple-scan downloaded from Buster-main
and with my flatbed already usb plugged in, it identified
it correctly as a Canon scanner known as Canoscan.
Then scanned a document on command and located
the image where I asked it successfully.

Hope this helps, Regards.

scsijon

Re: Scanning

#1823 Post by scsijon »

Rodney Byne wrote:To scsijon,

Hi, I just installed simple-scan downloaded from Buster-main
and with my flatbed already usb plugged in, it identified
it correctly as a Canon scanner known as Canoscan.
Then scanned a document on command and located
the image where I asked it successfully.

Hope this helps, Regards.
thanks rodney, i'll give it a go. I had thought though scanning should have worked out-of-the-box though, maybe their's a file missing or in the wrong spot in buster somewhere.

rameshiyer

Easy Buster 2.1.3

#1824 Post by rameshiyer »

Why my Canon IR ADV 4225 is not printing once Job accounting feature of printer is enabled. The Printer is directed connected to IP address socket//192.168.1.28:9100. No Pop Up window coming up for providing Departmental ID and password. After so much trail and error, now I am able to take printout while job accounting feature is disable in our Printer. It is not possible to keep job accounting feature in a disable condition due to Institutional printing. So I need a permanent solution.

lp-dolittle

scanner issue

#1825 Post by lp-dolittle »

@scsijon

quite a long time ago, experimenting with PeasyScan and xsane, in Puppy Precise 5.7.1, I realised that the settings of the two tools may interfere if they are used alternately or simultaneously.

The problem disappeared when the configuration of either PeasyScan or Xsane was totally reset to the pristine default values and only one of the tools was used.

Maybe, this method might contribute to the elimination of your problem

kind regards

lp-dolittle
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Fri 20 Sep 2019, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

Argolance

#1826 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
BarryK wrote:Ha ha, I didn't even know there is an ebook reader! Where is that in the menu?
apps desktop button, second tab, first entry...
Multi-screen, with two monitors. I have never tried it. Anyone else got that hardware setup? Are both screens the same resolution?
This cans easily be solved by editing the /etc/eventmanager file and changing the ICON_PLACE_EDGE_GAP value to 160 (for me) and I now have desktop drive icons just above the taskbar. May be this should be settable from the eventmanager interface?
OK, I will post to the French thread about latest EasyOS.
Done! Thanks.

Note: The desktop Xlock icon doesn't seem to work. Running /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun in the terminal does nothing.

Cordialement.

wdt

#1827 Post by wdt »

213 iso
Still will not reboot or shutdown via gui (start, right click Desktop, setup icon Desktop,,this says it is doing, but nothing happens)
So... terminal, sync 3x, reboot,, have not tried shutdown -h now yet
after 'service zz-x11vnc stop', service zz-x11vnc start ,, & vncviewer gives connection refused
is the firewall seizing 5900?
How to tell with pupget which files and where?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1828 Post by BarryK »

Argolance wrote:Bonjour,
BarryK wrote:Ha ha, I didn't even know there is an ebook reader! Where is that in the menu?
apps desktop button, second tab, first entry...
That's the Evince PDF reader. I ran in a terminal:

Code: Select all

# pupapps
# EXIT="Ready"
/usr/local/PupApps/defaultapps/bookreader: line 2: Evince: command not found
...it is trying to run "Evince", but the executable is "evince". Looks like a bug in EasyApps (PupApps).

I will need to fix the EasyApps PET, but just trying a little experiment:

Code: Select all

# ln -s evince /usr/bin/Evince
...yep, Evince now launches.

Probably should have a proper ebook reader in EasyOS.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1829 Post by BarryK »

wdt wrote:213 iso
Still will not reboot or shutdown via gui (start, right click Desktop, setup icon Desktop,,this says it is doing, but nothing happens)
So... terminal, sync 3x, reboot,, have not tried shutdown -h now yet
after 'service zz-x11vnc stop', service zz-x11vnc start ,, & vncviewer gives connection refused
is the firewall seizing 5900?
How to tell with pupget which files and where?
You can turn off the firewall, to eliminate chances that it is interfering.
Menu Setup -> QuickSetup, and untick the firewall checkbox.

blgs

"copy into ram" BIOS mode

#1830 Post by blgs »

No "copy into ram" for BIOS computers?
Only available for uefi computers?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: "copy into ram" BIOS mode

#1831 Post by BarryK »

blgs wrote:No "copy into ram" for BIOS computers?
BIOS also.

Perhaps you have booted from the iso?

All development is focused on the .img file, that is written to a usb-stick. That has copy-to-ram for both BIOS and UEFI-firmware computers.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1832 Post by BarryK »

scsijon

hp scanners

#1833 Post by scsijon »

Hi, as a fyi,

I've been advised that it seems that the latest hp scanners now need a kernel driver module for sane to work. It's no longer built into the hplip package or cups ppd and It's the reason why my new officejet prints beautifully, but won't scan correctly.

Looks like something else to enable when kernel building.

regards

scsijon

devx links missing for building.

#1834 Post by scsijon »

Seems there are a few? files that need links in the /usr/include 'sets' for building.

Two to start with are >

/usr/include/bits/long-double-64.h to long-double-32.h, mentioned in long-double,h

/usr/include/gnu/stubs-64.h to stubs-32.h mentioned in stubs.h

and a quick search stats there are 18 of them that maybe needed.

blgs

Re: "copy into ram" BIOS mode

#1835 Post by blgs »

BarryK wrote:
blgs wrote:No "copy into ram" for BIOS computers?
BIOS also.

Perhaps you have booted from the iso?

All development is focused on the .img file, that is written to a usb-stick. That has copy-to-ram for both BIOS and UEFI-firmware computers.
I always use the .img file.

I did follow the appropiate guideline for BIOS computers to install 3 files in the boot partition. EFI folder is not required (BIOS computer). Created by means of grub4dos additional startup files in the boot partition. Rebooted the computer but no copy-to-ram option appears.
Probably the guideline for BIOS computers requires an update to reflect the current status of Easyos.