For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Rodney Byne

OK cooking with gas

#1846 Post by Rodney Byne »

To philh,

Yes you're right, the new streams play well in mpv but not at all in VLC
for some unknown reason.
Its logs are a bit beyond me though.
Perhaps Barry might be able to shed light on the VLC problem.

Of course in the playlist text, the url station identifier ends have to be
moved to a line above so each stream can be decoded.

Oh and the 8 channels work ok in pupTelly as well.
Thanks, R.

frenchiveruti

Battery meter is bugged

#1847 Post by frenchiveruti »

Hello, another bug.
My battery indicator displays 98% of battery, discharging, and then it's stuck there. Even though the battery is already at 50% if I open the information panel.
I attached a picture of the issue.
Thanks, let me know if there's some debug info I can provide.
Attachments
Captura(1).jpg
Screen shot of the issue, check the 98% on the tray and 2000mAh on the purple thing.
(119.74 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Rodney Byne

TV streams

#1848 Post by Rodney Byne »

To philh,
Further to your 8 new tv streams
one by one carefully tested in VLC.

Have found that NHK World Japan is the only channel
stream that works in a constant stable manner,
comparing it to Bloomberg as my benchmark in VLC.
All the other seven channels are instantly rejected
by VLC.

Using MPV in pupTelly, noted there is variable stability and
picture quality success with the remaining 7 channels.
Random mis-syncing and dropouts occur.

Would very much like to know, from where
these streams were sourced.
The internet seems to be par for the course
for quality; wysiwyg
Regards, R.

Philh

#1849 Post by Philh »

I just used google to search for tv streams
I found a list of iptv channels here

https://m3uplaylist.download/free-iptv-m3u-playlists

and google docs list of streams mentioned here

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2586189

scsijon

Re: TV streams

#1850 Post by scsijon »

Rodney Byne wrote:Would very much like to know, from where
these streams were sourced.
The internet seems to be par for the course
for quality; wysiwyg
Regards, R.
Rodney,

The Streaming Service itself can only request and pay for the bandwidth between them and the service provider. It's nothing to do with the streaming service themselves what happens after.

It's all related to available bandwidth between the service providers to the relative International Hub in their own country that the provider uses, PLUS bandwidth available (and paid for) between the two countries being connected between, PLUS bandwidth between your international hub that particular country is connected to and your ISP, and on to you. And all of these pipes are shared by many services and users, with varying priorities assigned to individual packets, and so all can have delays and dropped and repeated packets at any instance, all of which effect your resultant viewing.

You can of course, let the service know via their contact page that there is a problem. Including, at or between specific times (including the code for your country zone) and program names, and from which country your viewing from. Even then they can only advise their ISP of the problem and hope things are improved.

In the case of NHK, they have from their own hub network throughout Japan, PLUS their own international pipes to quite a number of countries. As they are a subscription service in Japan and so get quite a bit of money to pay for the services, both in country and overseas for their expats and other interested people to see their programs. Someone, who will remain nameless, told me a year or so ago it costs about Y25,000 a year for their service and you have no choice to pay it if you want television in Japan, and the internet charges are in top of that.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1851 Post by BarryK »

Just popping into the forum briefly to post this announcement. Will come back later, maybe this evening, to read earlier posts.

Here it is version 2.1.5. Announcment:

http://bkhome.org/news/201910/easyos-ve ... eased.html

NOTICE:
Alfons reported that https sites do not work with Chromium. That is, SSL is broken.

I can't see why, so have removed 2.1.5. I have no idea what has changed since 2.1.3 that could have caused this. Will work on it, hopefully the next release isn't too far away.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Tested, error message child failed with code 1

#1852 Post by BarryK »

frenchiveruti wrote:
BarryK wrote: Try this in a terminal (this is what the /usr/sbin/ec-chroot-buster script has in it):

Code: Select all

# ec-chroot buster easy
...you will be able to see any error messages.
Hi!
Here's the error:

# ec-chroot buster easy
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
Generating /root/.jwmrc3...
Executing: DISPLAY=:0  pflask  --keepenv --mount=tmp:/tmp --no-netns  --caps=all --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container --  /.control/ec-run buster easy

[✘] Child failed with code '1'
Unmounting: /mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container
Unmounting: /mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/.ro0
Container buster stopped
Ah, I see that you have modified the security settings, that is what has broken it. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.3 right now, so it has the "pyro" icon on desktop. If I run this:

# ec-chroot pyro easy
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
Generating /root/.jwmrc3...
Executing: DISPLAY=:1  pflask --mount=bind:/mnt/sda2/home/shared:/mnt/wkg/home/shared --keepenv --mount=bind:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1 --no-ipcns --no-netns --mount=bind:/dev/snd:/dev/snd --mount=bind:/dev/mixer:/dev/mixer --caps=all,-sys_admin,-sys_boot,-sys_chroot,-sys_ptrace,-sys_time,-sys_tty_config,-chown,-kill,-dac_override,-dac_read_search,-fowner,-setfcap,-setpcap,-net_admin,-mknod,-sys_module,-sys_nice,-sys_resource --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda2/containers/pyro/container --  /.control/ec-run pyro easy
You can restore the default security settings. Go to menu Filesystem -> Easy Container Management, in the "Manage" frame choose "buster" in the dropdown list, and the security settings will be reset to the defaults -- there is also a "Reset" button for this. Then click "Update and exit" button.

Not sure if I tested this, but it should work.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: OK cooking with gas

#1853 Post by BarryK »

Rodney Byne wrote:To philh,

Yes you're right, the new streams play well in mpv but not at all in VLC
for some unknown reason.
Its logs are a bit beyond me though.
Perhaps Barry might be able to shed light on the VLC problem.

Of course in the playlist text, the url station identifier ends have to be
moved to a line above so each stream can be decoded.

Oh and the 8 channels work ok in pupTelly as well.
Thanks, R.
I have given up on VLC, had so much trouble with audio and video not playing correctly. It used to be so good, but that was years ago.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Battery meter is bugged

#1854 Post by BarryK »

frenchiveruti wrote:Hello, another bug.
My battery indicator displays 98% of battery, discharging, and then it's stuck there. Even though the battery is already at 50% if I open the information panel.
I attached a picture of the issue.
Thanks, let me know if there's some debug info I can provide.
The battery status tray applet was created by 01micko, many years ago. I haven't looked at it for a long time, I guess because it works OK on my two laptops.

I wonder if the Puppy Linux guys are using something later? A later evolution of 01micko's applet, or something else?

williams2

#1855 Post by williams2 »

frenchiveruti, you could type in a text terminal console:

acpi -abi
If this shows the same information as the tray applet
then the applet is working properly,
it is the acpi drivers causing the problem.

If the acpi information seems to be correct
then the applet is the problem.

scsijon

#1856 Post by scsijon »

Note for BarryK (and maybe others), in case it helps:

Apparently the latest chromium browser (oct 2019) has had a virus currently called 'parasite' created and released for it.

Unfortunately the only way of getting rid of it is to delete the chromium core files as well as the associated ones, as it has inserted itself multiple times and places both in chromium and associated package areas. It reapears and reinstalls itself again when the browser is restarted and the infected component is started. It does effect the ssl areas, which is why i'm bringing it to your attention. It might just be your problem.

A number of web pages give a fix, but basically they all lead to the same end of totally removing everything used by or involving chromium, and then start installing from scratch a clean packageset, keeping nothing.

wiak

#1857 Post by wiak »

scsijon wrote:Note for BarryK (and maybe others), in case it helps:

Apparently the latest chromium browser (oct 2019) has had a virus currently called 'parasite' created and released for it.
Can you supply the link about this virus please? I googled but can't find it anywhere.

wiak

scsijon

#1858 Post by scsijon »

wiak wrote:

Can you supply the link about this virus please? I googled but can't find it anywhere.

wiak
Try something other than google then, I got 23 responses from duckduckgo and others from other search engines, since chrome/chromium is a google product .....

wiak

#1859 Post by wiak »

thanks for your useful tip

rufwoof

#1860 Post by rufwoof »

scsijon wrote:Unfortunately the only way of getting rid of it is to delete the chromium core files as well as the associated ones, as it has inserted itself multiple times and places both in chromium and associated package areas. It reappears and reinstalls itself again when the browser is restarted and the infected component is started. It does effect the ssl areas, which is why i'm bringing it to your attention. It might just be your problem.

A number of web pages give a fix, but basically they all lead to the same end of totally removing everything used by or involving chromium, and then start installing from scratch a clean packageset, keeping nothing.
Thanks for the heads-up scsijon.

I boot from usb, where the MBR, bootloader, vmlinuz and initrd are all on that usb. Main sfs and changes sfs are stored on hdd (so its still quick to boot) where the init process validates the checksums of those files as part of bootup comparing with pre-recorded checksums stored on the usb. After initial startup, before those sfs's are loaded/after validation of the hdd based sfs's, the usb is unplugged (so physically isolated out of in-session harms way) - its all running in ram by then. The sfs's are then loaded and up comes X/desktop. Use it, shutdown when done (mostly without saving) and the next reboot is clean again, the exact same as before. Store data separately, outside of the OS. To make changes, boot, reconfigure the system as desired, save (without going anywhere else beforehand, so the 'clean' boot remains clean).

Run that way and such virus are just a single session inconvenience. Eradicated in the time it takes to reboot. Very much like removing everything and doing a full re-install, but where that install is already pre-configured to how you like things set up.

For online banking type activities just make sure you cold reboot first, go straight to your banks web site, nowhere else before or after, hard shutdown afterwards. Also keep good disconnected backup copies of your data (and main/changes sfs) files. Keep browser bookmarks in a file stored where you keep data (as the next reboot has a brand new browser again, with none of the bookmarks, cookies ... or viruses). If you do use a particular browser configuration or want a set of fixed browser bookmarks, then boot, make those changes, save ... and they'll then be part of the 'clean' boot.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

belham2

#1861 Post by belham2 »

scsijon wrote:
wiak wrote:

wiak
Try something other than google then, I got 23 responses from duckduckgo and others from other search engines, since chrome/chromium is a google product .....

Something is weird here.

It doesn't matter what search engine is used (Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage, Bing, etc) there are no search returns, let alone 23 of them as scsijon notes, for anything related to an Oct 2019 Chromium release and a virus currently called "parasite" afflicting it.

Scsijon, however you know about this 'parasite' thing, can you please provide a direct search result link? So that I can then forward it along to the Chromium-dev team to make them aware of this evidently critical problem?! No one there knows anything about what you're talking about.

Thank you.

Sage

#1862 Post by Sage »

there are no search returns
Oh yes there are. You need to polish your searching skills. Got to incorporate " Computer Virus" and " Chromium", inter alia, into your search criteria otherwise you get the more obvious medical answers & co.

rcrsn51

#1863 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Sage: Did you read the stuff you found? Is there anything there to support scsijon's report?

If so, provide a specific link.

belham2

#1864 Post by belham2 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Sage: Did you read the stuff you found? Is there anything there to support scsijon's report?

If so, provide a specific link.

Rcrsn51,

He can't.

Because there doesn't seem to be any.

No links exist, but the mysterious 'parasite' Chromium killer is real.

Long live Area 51 believers :wink:

Sage

#1865 Post by Sage »

@Sage: Did you read the stuff you found? Is there anything there to support scsijon's report?
Yes, I did - at least half a dozen. Seasoned db users shouldn't have any trouble locating them. But if you PM me, I'll send a personalised selection/assessment - tomorrow.